|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the 1936 campaign, how much money do labor unions contribute to Roosevelt under the leadership of Republican John L. Lewis?
2. "The New Deal at High Tide" mentions that during the Dust Bowl the temperature in Vinita, Oklahoma, was over one hundred degrees for how many days straight?
3. As "The Fascist Challenge" opens, Leuchtenburg mentions that which of the following individuals is the civil liberty suppressing mayor of Jersey City?
4. During the review of Roosevelt's Presidency, Leuchtenburg notes that how many trees were planted as a windbreak under Roosevelt?
5. Which of the following individuals is the most dominant figure in the Temporary National Economic Committee created in "Stalemate"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the purpose of the Temporary National Economic Committee, created in 1938?
2. When Churchhill asks Roosevelt to let England use 50 or 60 US destroyers against the Nazi submarines in July 1940, how does Roosevelt respond?
3. What is the German response when Roosevelt asks Hitler and Mussolini for their pledge in 1939 not to attack thirty-one nations?
4. In "The Roosevelt Reconstruction: Retrospect" how does Leuchtenburg say Roosevelt changed the way the President dealt with the press?
5. Describe the progress of Germany through Europe during the spring and summer of 1940, as discussed in "An End to Isolation."
6. Who opposed Roosevelt in the 1936 election, and how did he hope to win?
7. What effect does Germany's success in Europe in the spring of 1940 have on Americans?
8. What is the soil problem discussed in "The New Deal at High Tide" and how is it resolved?
9. How does Roosevelt get around the Congressional issues over the lease of destroyers to England in "An End to Isolation"?
10. What is Roosevelt's reaction to his fall at the Democratic Convention in 1936, and how did that reaction differ from his usual attitude about his disability?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the three major schools of thought about the recession at the end of 1937 as discussed in "A Sea of Troubles." Include supporting information from the text and outside research if necessary.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the impact of the Rural Electrification Administration (REA) on the nation in 1935. How did this program change life for Americans? What does the REA have in common with the modern push to increase broadband internet access to rural areas? Include supporting information from the text and outside research if necessary.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss two major components of America's isolationist attitude in the mid-1930s. Present the reason and logic behind this attitude and be sure to include supporting information from the text.
This section contains 1,295 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)