|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Maxim Litvinov, the Soviet representative, arrives in the US in 1933 he is given a dinner at the Waldorf-Astoria. All but which of the following executive groups attend?
2. When discussing how to justify Roosevelt's war policy to the American people, General Marshall points out that the US has only how many planes available?
3. After the International Economic Conference in London in 1933, Roosevelt notes that which major economist had been "magnificently right"?
4. When Germany makes its move in 1940, how long does it take for the Nazis to drive British troops out of France?
5. In January 1936, Al Smith charges at a Liberty League banquet in Washington that the Roosevelt administration is disguising itself as all but which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the soil problem discussed in "The New Deal at High Tide" and how is it resolved?
2. What is the purpose of the Temporary National Economic Committee, created in 1938?
3. In February of 1937, why did Roosevelt set out to reorganize the Supreme Court?
4. Compare Roosevelt's attitude toward further spending with that of Congress in late 1937, as discussed in "Stalemate."
5. Why, in spite of a sticky mid-term election season, did Roosevelt still consider the 1938 elections a success for his administration?
6. In "The Roosevelt Reconstruction: Retrospect" how does Leuchtenburg say Roosevelt changed the way the President dealt with the press?
7. When Churchhill asks Roosevelt to let England use 50 or 60 US destroyers against the Nazi submarines in July 1940, how does Roosevelt respond?
8. What effect does Germany's success in Europe in the spring of 1940 have on Americans?
9. In "The Fascist Challenge" why does fascism begin to look attractive to some Americans?
10. Describe the progress of Germany through Europe during the spring and summer of 1940, as discussed in "An End to Isolation."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the impact of the Rural Electrification Administration (REA) on the nation in 1935. How did this program change life for Americans? What does the REA have in common with the modern push to increase broadband internet access to rural areas? Include supporting information from the text and outside research if necessary.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss two major components of America's isolationist attitude in the mid-1930s. Present the reason and logic behind this attitude and be sure to include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Roosevelt's use of the media with that of two other Presidents, one before him and one after him. Combine supporting information from the text with outside research.
This section contains 1,345 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)