|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the group of 30 Americans who publish "A Summons to Speak Out" in June 1940?
2. When Japan begins to cause problems in 1939, the US responds by lending how much money to China?
3. When Maxim Litvinov, the Soviet representative, arrives in the US in 1933 he is given a dinner at the Waldorf-Astoria. All but which of the following executive groups attend?
4. "The New Deal at High Tide" mentions that during the Dust Bowl the temperature in Vinita, Oklahoma, was over one hundred degrees for how many days straight?
5. On which of the following dates in 1937 does Roosevelt send Congress his design to reorganize the Supreme Court?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the creation of and the focus of the House Committee on Un-American Activities when it was created in 1938.
2. When Churchhill asks Roosevelt to let England use 50 or 60 US destroyers against the Nazi submarines in July 1940, how does Roosevelt respond?
3. What was Mrs. Roosevelt's opinion of the New Deal, as discussed at the end of "The Roosevelt Reconstruction: Retrospect"?
4. Who opposed Roosevelt in the 1936 election, and how did he hope to win?
5. According to the beginning of "The Roosevelt Reconstruction: Retrospect" how have things changed in America between 1932 and 1936?
6. In the early part of 1938, why did Roosevelt seem to prefer allowing the economic gurus to argue around him rather than making any solid decisions about economic policy?
7. What is the soil problem discussed in "The New Deal at High Tide" and how is it resolved?
8. What is Roosevelt's reaction to his fall at the Democratic Convention in 1936, and how did that reaction differ from his usual attitude about his disability?
9. Compare Roosevelt's attitude toward further spending with that of Congress in late 1937, as discussed in "Stalemate."
10. In February of 1937, why did Roosevelt set out to reorganize the Supreme Court?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cite and discuss three ways in which Roosevelt re-created the modern Presidency. Be sure to explain why your choices are important and to include supporting information from the text and outside research if necessary.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss three major ways in which the Fair Labor Standards Act changed America. Be sure to cite supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the change in the level of political debate during the years of Roosevelt's presidency. What sorts of things was Congress discussing when Roosevelt first took office in 1932, and what were they discussing by 1940? Cite supporting information from the text.
This section contains 1,411 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)