|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the election of 1938, how many seats do Republicans pick up in the House of Representatives?
2. In April 1939, Roosevelt makes one last attempt to avert war by asking Hitler and Mussolini to agree not to attack how many nations, listed by name?
3. Which of the following individuals laments in "Stalemate" that Thomas Jefferson would not have spoken to the Democrats?
4. According to "A Sea of Troubles," how many residents of Cleveland go without food or clothing relief during the first six days of 1938?
5. In response to Roosevelt's 1937 attempt to reorganize the Supreme Court, which of the following justices retires?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the creation of and the focus of the House Committee on Un-American Activities when it was created in 1938.
2. In the early part of 1938, why did Roosevelt seem to prefer allowing the economic gurus to argue around him rather than making any solid decisions about economic policy?
3. Compare Roosevelt's attitude toward further spending with that of Congress in late 1937, as discussed in "Stalemate."
4. What is the purpose of the Temporary National Economic Committee, created in 1938?
5. According to the beginning of "The Roosevelt Reconstruction: Retrospect" how have things changed in America between 1932 and 1936?
6. How does Roosevelt get around the Congressional issues over the lease of destroyers to England in "An End to Isolation"?
7. How does Roosevelt respond when the Soviet Union invades Finland?
8. Explain the event toward the end of "A Farewell to Arms" that convinces some Americans that neutrality is not possible.
9. What role did Mrs. Roosevelt play in her husband's administration, as discussed in "The New Deal at High Tide"?
10. Describe the change in American business after the New Deal labor programs, as discussed in Leuchtenburg's review of Roosevelt's presidency.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Cite and discuss three ways in which Roosevelt re-created the modern Presidency. Be sure to explain why your choices are important and to include supporting information from the text and outside research if necessary.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss two major components of America's isolationist attitude in the mid-1930s. Present the reason and logic behind this attitude and be sure to include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 3
In a well-developed essay, cite and discuss three examples of instances where Eleanor Roosevelt influenced her husband's administration and arguably made his job easier. Be sure to defend your examples and to include supporting information from the text.
This section contains 1,116 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)