|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the Soviet invasion of Finland in November 1939, Roosevelt is disgusted and lends the Fins how much money?
2. The exploits of which of the following individuals in 1933 and 34 convinces Americans that better federal action was needed in law enforcement?
3. How many deutsche marks are Jews in Germany fined by the Nazis after a young Polish Jew murders the third secretary of the German Embassy in Paris in November of 1938.
4. After the 1936 farm law proves unworkable, Wallace resists attempts to deregulate production in the hopes of being like which of the following Old Testament characters?
5. Between September and December of 1937, how many people are laid off when the economy suddenly cracks?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the change in American business after the New Deal labor programs, as discussed in Leuchtenburg's review of Roosevelt's presidency.
2. Who opposed Roosevelt in the 1936 election, and how did he hope to win?
3. Explain the event toward the end of "A Farewell to Arms" that convinces some Americans that neutrality is not possible.
4. In February of 1937, why did Roosevelt set out to reorganize the Supreme Court?
5. Compare Roosevelt's attitude toward further spending with that of Congress in late 1937, as discussed in "Stalemate."
6. In "A Farewell to Arms," why does Roosevelt find such resistance when he attempts to alert America to the happenings in Germany and other parts of the world?
7. Explain the result of Roosevelt's 1937 attempt to reorganize the Supreme Court.
8. What is the German response when Roosevelt asks Hitler and Mussolini for their pledge in 1939 not to attack thirty-one nations?
9. What was the result of the Trade Agreements Act in 1934?
10. What is the soil problem discussed in "The New Deal at High Tide" and how is it resolved?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast America's isolationist attitude prior to the German invasion in Europe with America's views and attitudes after the Germans begin moving through Europe. Be sure to include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the challenges faced by Secretary of Agriculture Henry Wallace, as detailed in "Over the Top." In a well-developed essay, target Secretary Wallace's three biggest problems and his handling of them. Be sure to address the nation's reaction to Wallace's policies, and include supporting information from the chapter.
Essay Topic 3
In a well-developed essay, compare and contrast the three elections in which Roosevelt is a candidate for President. What kind of campaign does he run in 1932? 1936? 1940? How does the country's response to him differ during each campaign? Include supporting information from the text.
This section contains 1,285 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)