|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the election of 1932, which of the following magazines promotes the idea of giving Roosevelt dictatorial powers to fix the economy?
2. What is the name of the political organization Huey Long founds in January of 1934?
3. According to "The Hundred Days' War," how long does it take after Roosevelt's inauguration for the country to shift from apathy to expectation?
4. As Roosevelt's inauguration approaches, he increasingly favors the ideas of which major economist?
5. During the labor riots in Minneapolis in 1934, city truck drivers are lead by Vincent Raymond Dunne. By what age had that person first become a teamster?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the relationship between Roosevelt and Reverend Coughlin and how it changes from 1932-1934.
2. Discuss and explain the disparity between supply and demand in 1932.
3. Explain the financial chaos Roosevelt found himself faced with when he first took office in March, 1933.
4. What was the purpose of the Works Progress Administration created in 1935, and under what primary rule did it function?
5. What were the major provisions of the Glass-Steagall Act of 1933, as discussed in "The Hundred Days' War"?
6. What was the labor problem anticipated during the 1930s, as discussed in "Winter of Despair"?
7. Describe the state of the nation by the spring of 1934, as discussed in "Over the Top."
8. Describe Hoover's problem with the Bonus Army situation as discussed in "The Politics of Hard Times."
9. Describe the attitudes of Wall Street businessmen in the early 1930s, as discussed in "Winter of Despair."
10. Describe the nation's reaction to the repeal of the 18th Amendment--with the 21st Amendment--in March of 1933.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the Works Progress Administration (WPA) with the Public Works Administration (PWA). Be sure to include supporting information from the text and outside research if necessary.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the challenges faced by Secretary of Agriculture Henry Wallace, as detailed in "Over the Top." In a well-developed essay, target Secretary Wallace's three biggest problems and his handling of them. Be sure to address the nation's reaction to Wallace's policies, and include supporting information from the chapter.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the Old Age Revolving Pension plan proposed by Doctor Francis Townsend in 1934 with the creation of Social Security in 1935. What elements do these two approaches have in common, and where do they differ? Include supporting information from the text.
This section contains 1,268 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)