|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the 1932 Presidential primary race, which of the following candidates can not appear at the Democratic convention because of a run on his Chicago bank?
2. When Roosevelt forms the Public Works Administration he appoints the Secretary of the Interior to run it. What was his name?
3. After founding his political organization, in which of the following states does Huey Long successfully rally a crowd of farmers in the spring of 1935?
4. In which of the following cities does Roosevelt accept the Democratic nomination for President after the 1932 convention?
5. In the spring of 1934, after the demise of the Civil Works Administration, the Federal Emergency Relief Administration helped how many students attend college?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the labor problem anticipated during the 1930s, as discussed in "Winter of Despair"?
2. According to "Over the Top," why did some people consider the National Recovery Administration (NRA) a failure?
3. What was the purpose of the Works Progress Administration created in 1935, and under what primary rule did it function?
4. Explain what can be considered ironic about the speeches of Roosevelt and Hoover during the 1932 Presidential campaign.
5. Explain the Old Age Revolving Pensions proposal put forth by Doctor Townsend, as discussed in "Waiting for Lefty."
6. What were the major provisions of the Glass-Steagall Act of 1933, as discussed in "The Hundred Days' War"?
7. During the 1932 election, how badly did Herbert Hoover lose to Roosevelt?
8. Describe the relationship between Roosevelt and Reverend Coughlin and how it changes from 1932-1934.
9. Discuss and explain the disparity between supply and demand in 1932.
10. Explain how Roosevelt was finally able to collect enough delegates to make him the Democratic nominee for President in 1932.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Roosevelt's use of the media with that of two other Presidents, one before him and one after him. Combine supporting information from the text with outside research.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the challenges faced by Secretary of Agriculture Henry Wallace, as detailed in "Over the Top." In a well-developed essay, target Secretary Wallace's three biggest problems and his handling of them. Be sure to address the nation's reaction to Wallace's policies, and include supporting information from the chapter.
Essay Topic 3
In a well-developed essay, cite and discuss three examples of instances where Eleanor Roosevelt influenced her husband's administration and arguably made his job easier. Be sure to defend your examples and to include supporting information from the text.
This section contains 1,341 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)