|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Roosevelt's speech at the beginning of "The Hundred Days' War" he states that the nation is not stricken by any plague of which of the following pests?
2. According to "Winter of Despair," which of the following individuals works for The New York Times and first coins the phrase "brain trust" in reference to Roosevelt's advisers?
3. The 1935 Banking Act aims to bring all large state banks under the jurisdiction of the Federal Reserve Board by requiring them to join the Federal Reserve System by what year?
4. After the election in November of 1932, during which month is Roosevelt inaugurated?
5. Which of the following new taxes does Roosevelt not propose to Congress in June of 1935?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what can be considered ironic about the speeches of Roosevelt and Hoover during the 1932 Presidential campaign.
2. Describe the state of the nation by the spring of 1934, as discussed in "Over the Top."
3. Describe Hoover's problem with the Bonus Army situation as discussed in "The Politics of Hard Times."
4. What were the accomplishments of the Public Works Administration from 1933-1939?
5. Explain how Roosevelt was finally able to collect enough delegates to make him the Democratic nominee for President in 1932.
6. Explain the financial chaos Roosevelt found himself faced with when he first took office in March, 1933.
7. What happened in the 1934 Congressional elections, and why was the result surprising?
8. Discuss and explain the disparity between supply and demand in 1932.
9. Explain the results of the Senate investigation ordered by Hoover toward the end of his term, led by Ferdinand Pecora.
10. Explain Roosevelt's "Brain Trust" during the 1932 election and beyond.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss three major ways in which the Fair Labor Standards Act changed America. Be sure to cite supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 2
In a well-developed essay, compare and contrast the three elections in which Roosevelt is a candidate for President. What kind of campaign does he run in 1932? 1936? 1940? How does the country's response to him differ during each campaign? Include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the Old Age Revolving Pension plan proposed by Doctor Francis Townsend in 1934 with the creation of Social Security in 1935. What elements do these two approaches have in common, and where do they differ? Include supporting information from the text.
This section contains 1,275 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)