|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following politicians is from Nebraska and leads the fight for the Tennessee Valley Authority in the first few months of 1933?
2. As "The Second Hundred Days" opens, New Dealers worry that all but which of the following conservative Supreme Court justices might deem the New Deal unconstitutional?
3. The National Housing Act of 1934 created a new agency, the Federal Housing Administration. Under which of the following individuals is the FHA run?
4. As more and more American workers organize themselves into labor unions in 1933-35, Roosevelt is faced with having to decide what which provision of the National Industrial Recovery Act actually means?
5. During the summer of 1933 farmers uproot their cotton crop to prevent over-saturation of the market. How much do farmers collect for plowing up 10 million acres of cotton?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to "Over the Top," why did some people consider the National Recovery Administration (NRA) a failure?
2. What was the purpose of the Rural Electrification Administration (REA), created in May of 1935, and what did this program accomplish?
3. Discuss the conflict between "wets" and "drys" during the 1932 campaign and the effect on the Democratic platform.
4. Explain what the Wagner Act of 1935 was intended to accomplish.
5. Describe the nation's reaction to Roosevelt's first Fireside Chat on March 12, 1933.
6. Describe the violent labor strikes that took place around the country in 1934.
7. Discuss the ways in which the Social Security Act of 1935 represented a new way of thinking in American history, as detailed in "One Third of a Nation."
8. What was the "death sentence" in the holding company bill that was supposed to go into effect on January 1, 1940 but which was ultimately defeated?
9. Explain the Old Age Revolving Pensions proposal put forth by Doctor Townsend, as discussed in "Waiting for Lefty."
10. Describe the nation's reaction to the repeal of the 18th Amendment--with the 21st Amendment--in March of 1933.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the three major schools of thought about the recession at the end of 1937 as discussed in "A Sea of Troubles." Include supporting information from the text and outside research if necessary.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the Old Age Revolving Pension plan proposed by Doctor Francis Townsend in 1934 with the creation of Social Security in 1935. What elements do these two approaches have in common, and where do they differ? Include supporting information from the text.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze and discuss the impact of the Rural Electrification Administration (REA) on the nation in 1935. How did this program change life for Americans? What does the REA have in common with the modern push to increase broadband internet access to rural areas? Include supporting information from the text and outside research if necessary.
This section contains 1,427 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)