|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On October 11, 1938, Roosevelt announced a build up for how much to American armaments, a response to a speech by Hitler?
(a) $500 thousand.
(b) $600 billion.
(c) $250 million.
(d) $300 million.
2. For the 1940 campaign, who does Roosevelt pick as his new running mate?
(a) Henry Wallace.
(b) John Garner.
(c) Jimmie Byrnes.
(d) Harry Hopkins.
3. What is the name of the secret terror group discovered in 1936 in Detroit during a routine police investigation?
(a) White Legion.
(b) White Front.
(c) Black Front.
(d) Black Legion.
4. On Memorial Day in 1937, in which of the following cities do police kill ten strikers at a steel plant?
(c) Des Moines.
5. Which of the following individuals is quoted in "The Roosevelt Reconstruction: Retrospect" as saying the New Deal was a revolutionary response to a revolutionary situation?
(a) Raymond Moley.
(b) Carl Degler.
(c) Walter Pierce.
(d) Ferdinand Lundberg.
Short Answer Questions
1. On which of the following dates in 1939 do the Nazis sign a pact with the Soviet Union?
2. When in May 1940 Roosevelt explains how quickly bombers could leave West Africa and reach Omaha, he mentions that the Army at this time has how many infantry tanks?
3. When discussing how to justify Roosevelt's war policy to the American people, General Marshall points out that the US has only how many planes available?
4. Leuchtenburg states in "The Fascist Challenge" that in September 1938 tension is building in all but which of the following cities?
5. Shortly after his January 1938 State of the Union Address Roosevelt meets with the head of U.S. Steel. What was his name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the German response when Roosevelt asks Hitler and Mussolini for their pledge in 1939 not to attack thirty-one nations?
2. How does Roosevelt get around the Congressional issues over the lease of destroyers to England in "An End to Isolation"?
3. Compare Roosevelt's attitude toward further spending with that of Congress in late 1937, as discussed in "Stalemate."
4. Why did the economic recovery suddenly crash in the last few months of 1937?
5. Explain the result of Roosevelt's 1937 attempt to reorganize the Supreme Court.
6. In February of 1937, why did Roosevelt set out to reorganize the Supreme Court?
7. In "A Farewell to Arms," why does Roosevelt find such resistance when he attempts to alert America to the happenings in Germany and other parts of the world?
8. When Churchhill asks Roosevelt to let England use 50 or 60 US destroyers against the Nazi submarines in July 1940, how does Roosevelt respond?
9. Explain the Neutrality Act signed by Congress in 1935 and what it was intended to accomplish.
10. What role did Mrs. Roosevelt play in her husband's administration, as discussed in "The New Deal at High Tide"?
This section contains 1,329 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)