|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For the 1940 campaign, who does Roosevelt pick as his new running mate?
(a) Jimmie Byrnes.
(b) Henry Wallace.
(c) Harry Hopkins.
(d) John Garner.
2. In his review of Roosevelt's Presidency, Leuchtenburg mentions that which of the following executive orders went almost completely unnoticed but allowed the presidency to modernize?
3. What is the name of the secret terror group discovered in 1936 in Detroit during a routine police investigation?
(a) White Legion.
(b) Black Front.
(c) White Front.
(d) Black Legion.
4. In May 1934 the US signs a treaty that abolishes the Platt Amendment with which of the following countries?
5. Which of the following individuals proposes a federal wages and hours law in May 1937?
(a) Walton Hamilton.
(b) Hugo Black.
(c) Thurman Arnold.
(d) Joseph O'Mahoney.
Short Answer Questions
1. In September of 1935, which of Roosevelt's political critics is shot and killed by Dr. Carl Austin Weiss?
2. After the 1938 elections, Roosevelt points out that despite Republican gains in Congress he is still the first two-term President to retain control of Congress since which of the following?
3. Shortly after his January 1938 State of the Union Address Roosevelt meets with the head of U.S. Steel. What was his name?
4. In "A Sea of Troubles," which of the following individuals is the hero of the antimonopolists who was reported to have predicted a recession within 6 months in 1937?
5. The exploits of which of the following individuals in 1933 and 34 convinces Americans that better federal action was needed in law enforcement?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the event toward the end of "A Farewell to Arms" that convinces some Americans that neutrality is not possible.
2. In "A Farewell to Arms," why does Roosevelt find such resistance when he attempts to alert America to the happenings in Germany and other parts of the world?
3. Describe the progress of Germany through Europe during the spring and summer of 1940, as discussed in "An End to Isolation."
4. According to the beginning of "The Roosevelt Reconstruction: Retrospect" how have things changed in America between 1932 and 1936?
5. In "The Fascist Challenge" why does fascism begin to look attractive to some Americans?
6. What role did Mrs. Roosevelt play in her husband's administration, as discussed in "The New Deal at High Tide"?
7. When Churchhill asks Roosevelt to let England use 50 or 60 US destroyers against the Nazi submarines in July 1940, how does Roosevelt respond?
8. What is Roosevelt's reaction to his fall at the Democratic Convention in 1936, and how did that reaction differ from his usual attitude about his disability?
9. In February of 1937, why did Roosevelt set out to reorganize the Supreme Court?
10. How does Roosevelt get around the Congressional issues over the lease of destroyers to England in "An End to Isolation"?
This section contains 1,421 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)