|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following individuals is the leader of the New Deal faction in the House of Representatives in 1937?
(a) Maury Maverick.
(b) Carter Glass.
(c) Josiah Bailey.
(d) Harry Byrd.
2. According to "A Sea of Troubles," how many residents of Cleveland go without food or clothing relief during the first six days of 1938?
3. After the 1938 elections, Roosevelt points out that despite Republican gains in Congress he is still the first two-term President to retain control of Congress since which of the following?
4. Which of the following individuals takes care of all White House mail up until Roosevelt's presidency?
(a) Frances Perkins.
(b) Erwin Canham.
(c) Ira Smith.
(d) Justin Douglas.
5. When Japan begins to cause problems in 1939, the US responds by lending how much money to China?
(a) $102 thousand.
(b) $7 million.
(c) $2.5 billion.
(d) $25 million.
6. What is the name of the group of 30 Americans who publish "A Summons to Speak Out" in June 1940?
(a) Actor's Guild.
(b) Freedom Guild.
(c) Century Group.
(d) Club of Americans.
7. In "The Roosevelt Reconstruction: Retrospect," which of the following Supreme Court Justices writes Roosevelt that he's of course made mistakes, but that's human?
(a) John Clarke.
(b) Stanley Reed.
(c) James McReynolds.
(d) Frank Murphy.
8. On which of the following dates in 1937 does Roosevelt send Congress his design to reorganize the Supreme Court?
(a) February 19.
(b) February 5.
(c) January 7.
(d) January 21.
9. On December 12, 1937, Japanese war planes bomb which of the following US naval vessels anchored in the Yangtse harbor?
(a) U.S.S. Cisco.
(b) U.S.S. Grayling.
(c) U.S.S. Panay.
(d) U.S.S. Kete.
10. In his 1937 bid to reorganize the Supreme Court, at what age does Roosevelt say justices should retire?
11. In 1936 Roosevelt speaks at the Democratic Convention in Philadelphia. As he makes his way onto the stage, he falls while trying to shake the hand of which individual?
(a) Roy Howard.
(b) William Phillips.
(c) Anne O'Hare McCormick.
(d) Edwin Markham.
12. In his review of Roosevelt's Presidency, Leuchtenburg mentions that which of the following executive orders went almost completely unnoticed but allowed the presidency to modernize?
13. Which of the following individuals is chairman of the House Committee on Un-American Activities when it is created in 1938?
(a) Noah Mason.
(b) James A. Farley.
(c) Martin Dies.
(d) Frank Murpy.
14. As "A Farewell to Arms" opens, which of the following Senators states that the League of Nations is "nothing more than a cog in the military machine of Europe"?
(a) Cordell Hull.
(b) George Harrison.
(c) William Borah.
(d) David Reay.
15. In the election of 1938, how many seats do Republicans pick up in the House of Representatives?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following individuals states toward the end of "An End to Isolation" that he can't "escape saying that the English are not going to win this war without our help"?
2. Which of the following individuals is the US ambassador to Germany in "A Farewell to Arms" and says that Hitler is such a horror that he cannot endure the man's presence?
3. Which of the following individuals is the most dominant figure in the Temporary National Economic Committee created in "Stalemate"?
4. In response to Roosevelt's April request for a large-scale lend-spend program, in June 1938 Congress votes to approve how much for public works?
5. When in May 1940 Roosevelt explains how quickly bombers could leave West Africa and reach Omaha, he mentions that the Army at this time has how many infantry tanks?
This section contains 563 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)