|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As "A Farewell to Arms" opens, which of the following Senators states that the League of Nations is "nothing more than a cog in the military machine of Europe"?
(a) Cordell Hull.
(b) George Harrison.
(c) David Reay.
(d) William Borah.
2. "The New Deal at High Tide" mentions that during the Dust Bowl the temperature in Vinita, Oklahoma, was over one hundred degrees for how many days straight?
3. Which of the following individuals says in 1938 that "it is always best and safest to count on nothing from the Americans but words in reference to European conflict?
(a) Neville Chamberlain.
(b) Charles Beard.
(c) Woodrow Wilson.
(d) Maury Maverick.
4. Which of the following individuals--a former Roosevelt supporter--indicates toward the end of "Stalemate" that he doesn't really want anything further to do with the President?
(a) James Murray.
(b) Frank Merriam.
(c) Tom Mooney.
(d) Raymond Clapper.
5. As "A Sea of Troubles" opens, on which of the following dates in 1937 does Roosevelt deliver his second Inaugural Address?
(a) February 19.
(b) February 5.
(c) January 7.
(d) January 21.
6. Which of the following individuals takes care of all White House mail up until Roosevelt's presidency?
(a) Ira Smith.
(b) Justin Douglas.
(c) Erwin Canham.
(d) Frances Perkins.
7. When Japan begins to cause problems in 1939, the US responds by lending how much money to China?
(a) $2.5 billion.
(b) $7 million.
(c) $25 million.
(d) $102 thousand.
8. When in May 1940 Roosevelt explains how quickly bombers could leave West Africa and reach Omaha, he mentions that the Army at this time has how many infantry tanks?
9. In May 1934 the US signs a treaty that abolishes the Platt Amendment with which of the following countries?
10. When discussing how to justify Roosevelt's war policy to the American people, General Marshall points out that the US has only how many planes available?
11. In "The Roosevelt Reconstruction: Retrospect," which of the following Supreme Court Justices writes Roosevelt that he's of course made mistakes, but that's human?
(a) Frank Murphy.
(b) John Clarke.
(c) Stanley Reed.
(d) James McReynolds.
12. When discussing Roosevelt's disability, Leuchtenburg mentions that the President has been unable to walk unassisted since which year?
13. Which of the following individuals is the most dominant figure in the Temporary National Economic Committee created in "Stalemate"?
(a) Joseph O'Mahoney.
(b) Thurman Arnold.
(c) Hugo Black.
(d) Walton Hamilton.
14. In his review of Roosevelt's Presidency, Leuchtenburg mentions that which of the following executive orders went almost completely unnoticed but allowed the presidency to modernize?
15. Which of the following individuals laments in "Stalemate" that Thomas Jefferson would not have spoken to the Democrats?
(a) Josiah Bailey.
(b) Harry Byrd.
(c) Maury Maverick.
(d) Carter Glass.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the election of 1938, how many seats do Republicans pick up in the House of Representatives?
2. Which of the following individuals proposes a federal wages and hours law in May 1937?
3. When Germany makes its move in 1940, how long does it take for the Nazis to drive British troops out of France?
4. After the Soviet invasion of Finland in November 1939, Roosevelt is disgusted and lends the Fins how much money?
5. In March of 1934 the House of Representatives passes the Trade Agreements Act. By what margin does the bill pass?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)