|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the ordered destruction of the 1933 cotton crop, Americans are horrified when 6 million of which baby animal are next ordered to slaughter?
2. As Roosevelt's inauguration approaches, he increasingly favors the ideas of which major economist?
(a) Adam Smith.
(b) John Maynard Keynes.
(c) Alfred Marshall.
(d) John Stuart Mill.
3. In the spring of 1932, in which state is Roosevelt Governor?
(b) New York.
(d) New Jersey.
4. As "Over the Top" opens, Roosevelt appoints which of the following individuals to head the Recovery Administration?
(a) Sherwood Anderson.
(b) Felix Frankfurter.
(c) Jerome Frank.
(d) Hugh Johnson.
5. In "The Hundred Days' War" Ferdinand Pecora's Senate investigation into Wall Street reveals that twenty partners of House of Morgan have not paid income tax in how long?
(a) 9 months.
(b) 32 months.
(c) 2 years.
(d) 6 years.
6. How many people tuned in to their radios on March 12, 1933, to hear the first of Roosevelt's famous Fireside Chats?
(a) 5 million.
(b) 60 million.
(c) 100 thousand.
(d) 20 thousand.
7. When discussing the plight of homeless and jobless Americans in 1932, Leuchtenburg mentions that two hundred men would huddle over fires in which of the following states?
(a) New Mexico.
(d) New York.
8. When describing conditions for homeless and jobless Americans, Leuchtenburg says that the largest "Hooverville" was in which of the following cities?
(b) St. Louis.
9. When the social security bill goes to Congress in April of 1935, by what margin does it pass in the House of Representatives?
10. In 1934, Secretary Wallace is extremely relieved when he is able to slacken crop restriction due to which of the following natural disasters?
11. In the run up to the 1934 Congressional elections, John Garner guesses that Republicans will win how many seats in the House of Representatives?
12. On which of the following dates does the special session of Congress convene in "The Hundred Days' War"?
(a) February 25.
(b) May 22.
(c) April 15.
(d) March 9.
13. Which of the following pieces of legislation did Roosevelt not insist Congress pass before they adjourned in June of 1935?
(a) Wagner bill.
(b) Housing bill.
(c) Banking bill.
(d) Social Security.
14. Pecora's investigation into the House of Morgan partners in May of 1933--and the subsequent income tax revelations--leads Congress to pass which of the following bills?
(a) Economy Act.
(b) Glass-Steagall Act.
(c) Wagner Act.
(d) Gold Reserve Act.
15. The National Housing Act of 1934 created a new agency, the Federal Housing Administration. Under which of the following individuals is the FHA run?
(a) James Moffett.
(b) Aubrey Williams.
(c) Frances Perkins.
(d) George Biddle.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Politics of Hard Times," which of the following individuals says that Roosevelt is "a pleasant man who, without any important qualifications for the office, would very much like to be President"?
2. In "One Third of a Nation" Congress approves the Emergency Relief Appropriation Act. In which year does this act pass?
3. According to the end of "The Politics of Hard Times," what is the final Electoral College tally by which Roosevelt defeats Hoover?
4. After the election in November of 1932, during which month is Roosevelt inaugurated?
5. The National Industrial Recovery Act, which Roosevelt signs on June 16, 1933, provides how much in funding for public works?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)