|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the Bankhead-Jones Farm Tenancy Act is approved, it creates the Farm Security Administration to provide loans to farmers. In what year does this measure pass?
2. When asked why he kept a family going on credit, a Philadelphia storekeeper told a reporter that there were how many children in the family's house with no shoes?
3. After the 1932 election, Roosevelt's Brain Trust argues that the market theories of which major economist have vanished forever?
(a) John Stuart Mill.
(b) John Maynard Keynes.
(c) Adam Smith.
(d) Alfred Marshall.
4. Which of the following individuals commits suicide in March of 1932 and is proved a swindler of $100,000,000 in bonds a month after his death?
(a) Albert Wiggin.
(b) Charles Mitchell.
(c) Ivar Kreuger.
(d) Ferdinand Pecora.
5. When discussing Senator Huey Long of Louisiana, Leuchtenburg mentions that Long loves his nickname of what?
6. The quote from Harold Clurman at the beginning of "Winter of Despair" states that people could smell what in the air during the winter of 1932-33?
7. On which of the following dates does the special session of Congress convene in "The Hundred Days' War"?
(a) February 25.
(b) March 9.
(c) May 22.
(d) April 15.
8. In the summer of 1934 the Industrial Association decides to break a strike using force in which of the following port cities?
(b) New York.
(c) San Francisco.
(d) New Orleans.
9. Which of the following new taxes does Roosevelt not propose to Congress in June of 1935?
10. When Roosevelt asks Congress for legislation to regulate the Stock Exchange in February of 1934, which of the following men--President of the Stock Exchange--is outraged?
(a) Richard Whitney.
(b) John Raskob.
(c) Henry Morgenthau.
(d) James Forrestal.
11. Which of the following politicians is from Nebraska and leads the fight for the Tennessee Valley Authority in the first few months of 1933?
(a) James Warburg.
(b) George Norris.
(c) Joe Martin.
(d) Hugo Black.
12. When the social security bill goes to Congress in April of 1935, by what margin does it pass in the House of Representatives?
13. When the Emergency Relief Appropriation Act is approved, it also creates the National Youth Administration. By which of the following individuals is the NYA program run?
(a) James Moffett.
(b) Aubrey Williams.
(c) Frances Perkins.
(d) George Biddle.
14. In "The Hundred Days' War" Ferdinand Pecora's Senate investigation into Wall Street reveals that twenty partners of House of Morgan have not paid income tax in how long?
(a) 32 months.
(b) 6 years.
(c) 2 years.
(d) 9 months.
15. During the Blue Eagle parade in New York City, Roosevelt remarks that there is a unity sweeping America that has not been seen since what year?
Short Answer Questions
1. In which of the following cities does Roosevelt accuse Hoover of being "the greatest spending Administration in peace times in all our history" during the 1932 Presidential campaign?
2. In the summer of 1932, farmers riot in all but which of the following states?
3. As "The Second Hundred Days" opens, New Dealers worry that all but which of the following conservative Supreme Court justices might deem the New Deal unconstitutional?
4. In 1934, Secretary Wallace is extremely relieved when he is able to slacken crop restriction due to which of the following natural disasters?
5. In January of 1934 the first of a few challengers for Roosevelt springs up. What is the name of the challenger who proposes the Old Age Revolving Pensions plan?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)