|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Sea of Troubles.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following candidates has the powerful support of publisher William Randolph Hearst during the 1932 Presidential primary race?
(a) John Nance Garner.
(b) Melvin J. Traylor.
(c) J. Hamilton Lewis.
(d) William McAdoo.
2. On which of the following dates in 1937 does Roosevelt send Congress his design to reorganize the Supreme Court?
(a) January 21.
(b) January 7.
(c) February 5.
(d) February 19.
3. In September of 1935, which of Roosevelt's political critics is shot and killed by Dr. Carl Austin Weiss?
(a) Dean Acheson.
(b) Rev. Coughlin.
(c) Huey Long.
(d) Doctor Townsend.
4. On Roosevelt's very first night in office, he directs his Secretary of the Treasury to draft an emergency banking bill. Who is the Secretary of Treasury?
(a) George Harrison.
(b) Ogden Mills.
(c) Arthur Ballantine.
(d) William Woodin.
5. The quote from Harold Clurman at the beginning of "Winter of Despair" states that people could smell what in the air during the winter of 1932-33?
Short Answer Questions
1. In response to Roosevelt's 1937 attempt to reorganize the Supreme Court, which of the following justices retires?
2. Which of the following politicians is from Nebraska and leads the fight for the Tennessee Valley Authority in the first few months of 1933?
3. After successfully forcing one justice to retire by attempting to reorganize the Supreme Court, which of the following individuals does Roosevelt appoint to fill the vacancy?
4. As "Over the Top" opens, Roosevelt appoints which of the following individuals to head the Recovery Administration?
5. Which of the following individuals is the US ambassador to Germany in "A Farewell to Arms" and says that Hitler is such a horror that he cannot endure the man's presence?
This section contains 292 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)