|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Winter of Despair.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When describing conditions for homeless and jobless Americans, Leuchtenburg says that the largest "Hooverville" was in which of the following cities?
(b) St. Louis.
2. Leuchtenburg describes an incident where about 50 people fight over a barrel of garbage left at the back door of a restaurant. In which city does this take place?
(c) St. Louis.
3. In the summer of 1932, farmers riot in all but which of the following states?
4. According to "Winter of Despair," on a single day in April 1932 an entire 1/4 of which state went up for auction?
(a) New Mexico.
5. As Roosevelt's inauguration approaches, he increasingly favors the ideas of which major economist?
(a) John Maynard Keynes.
(b) John Stuart Mill.
(c) Alfred Marshall.
(d) Adam Smith.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "Winter of Despair" a group of fifty-five men is charged with dismantling and carrying away a whole four-story building in which of the following cities?
2. When asked why he kept a family going on credit, a Philadelphia storekeeper told a reporter that there were how many children in the family's house with no shoes?
3. Which of the following business executives laments in October of 1930 that the real blame for the financial crisis lay with the irresponsible--and now unemployed--populace?
4. Toward the end of his term, Hoover orders a Senate investigation into the financial crisis. Which of the following men is chosen to lead this investigation?
5. "Iron Age" reports during the summer of 1932 that steel plants are operating at what percent of their capacity?
This section contains 289 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)