|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Over the Top.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to "Winter of Despair," U.S. Steel employed 225,000 full-time workers in 1929. How many employees are full time by April of 1933?
2. After the ordered destruction of the 1933 cotton crop, Americans are horrified when 6 million of which baby animal are next ordered to slaughter?
3. Which of the following individuals switches California's votes to Roosevelt during the 1932 Democratic convention, thus making Roosevelt the Democratic candidate?
(a) Melvin J. Traylor.
(b) J. Hamilton Lewis.
(c) John Nance Garner.
(d) William McAdoo.
4. In "The Politics of Hard Times," which of the following individuals says that Roosevelt is "a pleasant man who, without any important qualifications for the office, would very much like to be President"?
(a) Herbert Hoover.
(b) Walter Lippman.
(c) William Randolph Hearst.
(d) Elmer Davis.
5. As "Over the Top" opens, Roosevelt appoints which of the following individuals to head the Recovery Administration?
(a) Felix Frankfurter.
(b) Sherwood Anderson.
(c) Hugh Johnson.
(d) Jerome Frank.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The Hundred Days' War" Ferdinand Pecora's Senate investigation into Wall Street reveals that twenty partners of House of Morgan have not paid income tax in how long?
2. According to the end of "The Politics of Hard Times," what is the final Electoral College tally by which Roosevelt defeats Hoover?
3. During the 1932 Presidential primary race, which of the following candidates can not appear at the Democratic convention because of a run on his Chicago bank?
4. According to "Winter of Despair," which of the following individuals works for The New York Times and first coins the phrase "brain trust" in reference to Roosevelt's advisers?
5. Leuchtenburg describes an incident where about 50 people fight over a barrel of garbage left at the back door of a restaurant. In which city does this take place?
This section contains 308 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)