|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom is Robert Walton writing letters in the Opening Letters?
2. Why did Justine’s mother treat her badly, as reported by Elizabeth in Chapter 6?
3. What aspect of the recent events weighs most heavily on Elizabeth?
4. How long did Victor spend at school without a single visit home because of his devotion to his studies?
5. After William’s death, where was the locket found?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is thought to be the motive for William’s murder? Why?
2. Why does Victor decide to take a trip to the Chamounix Valley?
3. How does Victor treat the creature when it approaches him in Chapter 10?
4. Why does Victor’s father pursue his old family friend? How does this situation end?
5. Why does Victor fall into a depression in Chapter 9?
6. Aside from the first few moments with Victor, what was the creature’s first experience with humans?
7. Where was Victor Frankenstein found? What reason does he give for being there?
8. When Victor recovers from his illness and visits the school to make introductions, how does he feel about his familiar classrooms and his beloved philosophy studies?
9. Who confesses to William’s murder? What significant discovery is made about this confession?
10. Where is the creature when Victor takes his friend back to his rooms in Chapter 5? How does Victor feel about this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is Justine arrested? Is she guilty or innocent of her accused crime? Why doesn’t Victor stand up for Justine in court? Why doesn’t the judge overturn her conviction when he learns that Justine was tortured into confessing? Why is her execution significant?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the creature and Victor. Victor says in the beginning that he made the creature in his own image. What does he mean by this? How are they alike? How are they different? Why does Victor abandon his creation? What does this say about Victor’s relationship with himself? Why does the creature continuously seek out his creator only to torture him?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Victor’s relationship with Elizabeth Lavenza. What is the nature of this relationship? Why does Caroline want her son to marry Elizabeth one day? How does Victor feel about this? How does this relationship influence Victor’s actions throughout the novel?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)