|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 20, why does Victor think that he has caused his own death?
(a) He becomes disoriented while walking in an unfamiliar area.
(b) He accidentally exposes himself to the plague.
(c) He accidentally falls on a sharp blade.
(d) He becomes lost at sea.
2. What does Victor think of when he looks at his creature’s face?
(a) The creature’s deceitful behaviors.
(b) The memory of his brother's death.
(c) The calculated way in which the creature set Justine up for murder.
(d) The creature’s appalling appearance.
3. Shortly after the wedding, why does Victor tell Elizabeth that he is unhappy?
(a) He is worried for his father.
(b) He is unhappy with their accommodations.
(c) He expects the night to be dreadful.
(d) He fears that she married him out of obligation.
4. Why did the creature only travel at night?
(a) To avoid the sun.
(b) To avoid man.
(c) Because he can see better at night.
(d) Because he would prefer to read during the day.
5. In which book did the creature learn about founders of ancient republics?
(a) Paradise Lost.
(b) Sorrows of Werter.
(c) The Bible.
(d) Plutarch's Lives.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why didn’t Safie wish to return to Turkey with her father?
2. Why did the creature watch the cottagers?
3. What chore did the creature do for the cottagers in the hopes of winning them over?
4. What does Victor need to do before he can build a female companion for his creature?
5. From whom does Victor receive a letter in the days before he and his father plan to continue their journey home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Victor try to enlist to help him find and exact his revenge on the creature?
2. Why did Safie’s father offer Felix her hand in marriage and then take her to Turkey?
3. Who does Victor learn he has been accused of killing? Who does Victor think is the real murderer?
4. What barrier is there initially between the new arrival and the cottagers?
5. Why is Victor’s rescue ship forced to turn south? How does Victor react to this decision?
6. What caused the creature to begin to wonder about his own origins?
7. How do Agatha and Safie respond to the creature when they find him speaking with Mr. DeLacey?
8. How does Victor explain his appearance on an ice flow in the middle of the Artic Sea?
9. What changes in the lives of the cottagers in Chapter 13?
10. What fear remains with Victor as his wedding day draws closer?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)