|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Upon arrival, why is Victor unable to enter his hometown?
(a) The family wants to wait to meet him in the morning.
(b) He is afraid to speak with his family.
(c) He wants to speak with the magistrate first.
(d) The gates are locked.
2. What does Victor say in the final pages of Chapter 3 decided his future for him?
(a) His visit with M. Waldman, a professor who becomes Victor’s mentor.
(b) His decision to quickly complete school so that he might return home to marry Elizabeth.
(c) His visit with a professor who encourages him to change his major to mathematics.
(d) His decision to leave University before classes began.
3. In Chapter 8, who does Victor blame for all that has befallen his family in recent days?
(b) His father.
4. From where is Robert Walton writing his first letter in Opening Letters?
(b) New York.
5. After William’s death, where was the locket found?
(a) In William’s dresser drawer.
(b) At the sight of his murder.
(c) In Justine's pocket.
(d) In a stranger's hotel room.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what month does Victor finally find success at his experiment?
2. Before her death, how does Justine spend her final moment with Elizabeth?
3. What did some wandering beggars leave behind that the creature found while wandering alone after his awakening?
4. What excuse does Victor give Henry for his poor appearance in Chapter 5?
5. To whom is Robert Walton writing letters in the Opening Letters?
Short Essay Questions
1. What influenced Victor to begin reading philosophy as a teen?
2. Where does Caroline first meet Elizabeth? Why does Caroline offer to take the child in?
3. Who encourages Victor to continue in his study of philosophy? To what does this lead?
4. Where was Victor Frankenstein found? What reason does he give for being there?
5. Why does Victor decide to take a trip to the Chamounix Valley?
6. Why does Victor flee his rooms in Chapter 5?
7. When Victor recovers from his illness and visits the school to make introductions, how does he feel about his familiar classrooms and his beloved philosophy studies?
8. Where is the creature when Victor takes his friend back to his rooms in Chapter 5? How does Victor feel about this?
9. Why is Caroline warned against nursing Elizabeth as she suffers scarlet fever?
10. What does Victor see when he views the place where his brother’s body was found?
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)