|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Victor tell Robert Walton that he feels a slave of?
(a) His creature.
(b) His profession.
(c) His passions.
(d) His wife.
2. Where does Victor meet Henry Clerval?
(a) On the road to Geneva.
(b) Outside his rooms.
(c) At an inn where the diligences and carriages stop.
(d) At his school.
3. Which of the following did Victor claim to have discovered through his laboratory work?
(a) The system by which air circulates within the body.
(b) The action of the human heart.
(c) The ability to animate lifeless matter.
(d) The way in which the brain functions.
4. What subject did Henry’s father tell him repeatedly he could make good money without knowing?
5. To whom is Robert Walton writing letters in the Opening Letters?
(a) His sister.
(b) His father.
(c) His brother.
(d) His mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word does Victor use to describe his creature in the first moments of its life?
2. After William’s death, how long does Victor remain in Lausanne to calm his tumultuous emotions?
3. In what month does Victor finally find success at his experiment?
4. How does Victor respond when he sees his creature?
5. Why is Justine on trial at the beginning of Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has the creature sought out Victor in Chapter 10?
2. Why is Robert Walton in Russia, and what does he plan to do there?
3. Why does Victor flee his rooms in Chapter 5?
4. Who confesses to William’s murder? What significant discovery is made about this confession?
5. Why is Caroline warned against nursing Elizabeth as she suffers scarlet fever?
6. How does Victor treat the creature when it approaches him in Chapter 10?
7. What does Victor see when he views the place where his brother’s body was found?
8. Why does Robert Walton decide to write down Victor’s story for his sister?
9. What is thought to be the motive for William’s murder? Why?
10. Where does Caroline first meet Elizabeth? Why does Caroline offer to take the child in?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)