|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Upon arrival, why is Victor unable to enter his hometown?
(a) The family wants to wait to meet him in the morning.
(b) He is afraid to speak with his family.
(c) The gates are locked.
(d) He wants to speak with the magistrate first.
2. Why is Justine on trial at the beginning of Chapter 8?
(a) She took money from the local merchant.
(b) She is accused of killing William.
(c) She stole from the Frankenstein family.
(d) She is accused of killing her mother.
3. Which of the following did Victor claim to have discovered through his laboratory work?
(a) The ability to animate lifeless matter.
(b) The way in which the brain functions.
(c) The action of the human heart.
(d) The system by which air circulates within the body.
4. In Chapter 8, who does Victor blame for all that has befallen his family in recent days?
(d) His father.
5. Where was Victor Frankenstein born?
6. What delays Robert Walton’s trip to the North Pole?
(a) A lack of money.
(d) Willing ship’s captains.
7. Why did Victor’s parents often visit the homes of the poor?
(a) They liked to look down on the less fortunate.
(b) They had benevolent spirits.
(c) They hoped to find new servants.
(d) They were searching for Caroline’s long lost brother.
8. Who first tries to cheer Victor out of his depression in Chapter 9?
9. What word does Victor use to describe his creature in the first moments of its life?
10. Where is Victor in Chapter 10 when the creature approaches him?
(a) At the Inn.
(b) The summit of Montavert.
(c) Walking in a pasture.
(d) Leaving a local museum.
11. After William’s death, how long does Victor remain in Lausanne to calm his tumultuous emotions?
(a) One day.
(b) Four days.
(c) One week.
(d) Two days.
12. What subject did Henry’s father tell him repeatedly he could make good money without knowing?
13. What does Victor spend the first few days doing when he arrives in the Chamounix Valley?
(a) Touring museums.
(b) Visiting friends.
(c) Walking in nature.
14. What did the creature think of the first village he ever set eyes on?
(a) The number of people frightened him.
(b) He was intimidated by the domestic animals.
(c) The architecture of the huts confused him.
(d) He found the village admirable.
15. How did Victor’s father respond to Victor’s lack of response to family letters?
(a) With attempts at guilt.
(b) With anger and disapproval.
(c) With a visit to the school.
(d) With a greater curiosity in his daily occupations.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Justine’s mother treat her badly, as reported by Elizabeth in Chapter 6?
2. By what name does Victor refer to his creature when he catches sight of it in a lightning storm?
3. How many days after being exposed to illness did Caroline become ill in Chapter 3?
4. What does Victor say in the final pages of Chapter 3 decided his future for him?
5. How long did Victor spend at school without a single visit home because of his devotion to his studies?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)