|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Wendy reveal to Marv about Goldie that helps to link Roark and Kevin together?
2. What does Lucille reveal about Goldie to Marv?
3. What does Wendy do for Marv before he is electrocuted?
4. What happens when Marv tastes Wendy's lipstick?
5. What did the man with the glasses do to Lucille's hand?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Marv's encounter with the man in the glasses.
2. How does Marv manage to finally trap Kevin?
3. Why did Kevin and Roark engage in cannibalism together and how did this involve Goldie?
4. What repercussions is Marv aware that he will face after he takes care of Roark?
5. Why does Marv enjoy the rain so much?
6. Why is Marv uncomfortable around Wendy?
7. Describe Marv's last night alive.
8. Why does Marv feel guilty over Goldie's death?
9. How was Marv coerced into signing the confession?
10. Describe the room in which Marv awakens.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is "The Hard Goodbye" an example of neo-noir in the mystery genre? Discuss the genre, specific plot elements, dialogue, atmosphere, characterization, as well as the art in regards to this style.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Marv's perceptions of himself with the reality of what the readers learn about the character.
Essay Topic 3
Compose an essay that details the purpose of the graphic sexuality in "The Hard Goodbye."
This section contains 1,041 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)