|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marv reveal as being one of his fears?
2. What happens to Lucille at the end of chapter seven?
3. From listening to his gut, what does Marv realize about the farm as he approaches it?
4. Why is Marv initially unable to break down the door in the farmhouse?
5. At the end of Chapter 6, what does the driver of the car reveal to be the killer's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What steps does Marv take to protect both Wendy and Nancy?
2. Why does Lucille knock Marv unconscious outside the farmhouse?
3. What happens to Lucille at the end of Chapter 7 and why?
4. How does Marv take care of the officers at the end of Chapter 7?
5. How does Marv manage to finally trap Kevin?
6. Why does Marv feel guilty over Goldie's death?
7. Describe Marv's encounter with the man in the glasses.
8. What information does Marv learn about Goldie from Lucille?
9. How does Marv gain the trust of the prostitutes?
10. What happened to Lucille in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbolism of both the statue of Roark and his fortified compound.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Marv's relationships with the women in his life and what each one reveals about him.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the roles of women in "The Hard Goodbye" and how their humanity is ignored by the male characters for varying reasons (Marv must be included in this analysis.)
This section contains 1,079 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)