|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Sin City during the days of the Old West?
2. What does Wendy give Marv that accidentally allows him to taste her lipstick?
3. Why does Marv feel responsible for Goldie's death?
4. At what is Kevin actually jumping when he mistakenly believes he found Marv?
5. Where does Marv find his new weapon while Lucille talks to the police officers outside the farmhouse?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened to Lucille in Chapter 6?
2. Why is Marv uneasy about the idea of killing Roark?
3. Why is Marv uncomfortable around Wendy?
4. Why does Lucille knock Marv unconscious outside the farmhouse?
5. How are the prostitutes tied to the history of Sin City?
6. Why does Marv fear nature so much?
7. What does the construction of the room in which Lucille and Marv are being held suggest about its intended purpose?
8. What happens when the wolf approaches Marv and why?
9. Why did Kevin and Roark engage in cannibalism together and how did this involve Goldie?
10. How does Marv gain the trust of the prostitutes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the practice of making all vices illegal in Sin City has contributed to the decay of the city and the rise of the criminal elements.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the symbolism of cannibalism in "The Hard Goodbye."
Essay Topic 3
How is "The Hard Goodbye" an example of neo-noir in the mystery genre? Discuss the genre, specific plot elements, dialogue, atmosphere, characterization, as well as the art in regards to this style.
This section contains 1,069 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)