|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what does Lucille hit Marv over the head?
2. What does Marv attempt to visualize in the beginning of chapter nine?
3. At the end of Chapter 6, what does the driver of the car reveal to be the killer's name?
4. What does Marv reveal about his love life to Wendy?
5. How is the man able to beat Marv in a fight?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Roark's relationship to Kevin?
2. Why does Marv feel guilty over Goldie's death?
3. Describe the room in which Marv awakens.
4. How does Marv manage to finally trap Kevin?
5. Why does Marv fear nature so much?
6. Why is Marv uneasy about the idea of killing Roark?
7. How does Marv gain the trust of the prostitutes?
8. Why is Marv uncomfortable around Wendy?
9. How does Marv and Lucille escape from the farmhouse?
10. Why did Kevin and Roark engage in cannibalism together and how did this involve Goldie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the symbolism of cannibalism in "The Hard Goodbye."
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Marv's statement about the awfulness of not having a purpose, as well as how Wendy and Goldie factor into what he sees as salvation.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the roles of women in "The Hard Goodbye" and how their humanity is ignored by the male characters for varying reasons (Marv must be included in this analysis.)
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)