|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Marv wakes up in the room with Lucille, what does he see mounted on the wall?
2. Where does Marv sleep in the hotel while Wendy is in the bed?
3. What is one of the more striking features of the farm?
4. Why is Marv initially unable to break down the door in the farmhouse?
5. Why is Lucille wearing Marv's coat?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Marv uncomfortable around Wendy?
2. Why did Kevin and Roark engage in cannibalism together and how did this involve Goldie?
3. What happens to Lucille at the end of Chapter 7 and why?
4. How does Marv kill Kevin?
5. How does Marv and Lucille escape from the farmhouse?
6. Why does Marv fear nature so much?
7. How does Marv manage to finally trap Kevin?
8. Why does Wendy question Marv's motivations in finding Goldie's killer and what is his reply?
9. Describe the room in which Marv awakens.
10. What information does Marv learn about Goldie from Lucille?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the roles of women in "The Hard Goodbye" and how their humanity is ignored by the male characters for varying reasons (Marv must be included in this analysis.)
Essay Topic 2
Explain the thematic elements of heaven and hell in "The Hard Goodbye."
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the purpose of Marv's mental illness in terms of characterization, story, and atmosphere.
This section contains 994 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)