|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Lucille hesitant to leave the room with Marv?
2. What is one of the more striking features of the farm?
3. Which of the following does Marv not take to his confrontation with Kevin?
4. According to Lucille, what does the man with the glasses do to the women before he kills them?
5. What does Marv give to Cardinal Roark?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lucille knock Marv unconscious outside the farmhouse?
2. Why is Marv uncomfortable around Wendy?
3. What happens when the wolf approaches Marv and why?
4. Who is Wendy?
5. What traps does Marv set for Kevin?
6. How does Marv take care of the officers at the end of Chapter 7?
7. How does Marv react when he hears the helicopters approaching and why?
8. How was Marv coerced into signing the confession?
9. What information does Marv learn about Goldie from Lucille?
10. Why does Wendy question Marv's motivations in finding Goldie's killer and what is his reply?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the religious symbolism and themes present in "The Hard Goodbye."
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the complex morality of Marv, as well as how this affects his relationships to other characters (including the reader).
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of the weather in "The Hard Goodbye," as well as the purpose of having dual rural and urban settings.
This section contains 1,041 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)