|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what does Marv pay a compliment to the last police officer left standing at the farmhouse?
2. Why did Wendy repeatedly attack Marv?
3. Which of the following does Marv not take to his confrontation with Kevin?
4. What does Wendy do for Marv before he is electrocuted?
5. What is Roark's full name and title?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Marv feel guilty over Goldie's death?
2. Why does Wendy question Marv's motivations in finding Goldie's killer and what is his reply?
3. Why does Lucille knock Marv unconscious outside the farmhouse?
4. What does the construction of the room in which Lucille and Marv are being held suggest about its intended purpose?
5. How does Marv react when he hears the helicopters approaching and why?
6. How does Marv manage to finally trap Kevin?
7. What was Roark's relationship to Kevin?
8. How does Marv gain the trust of the prostitutes?
9. Describe Marv's encounter with the man in the glasses.
10. What happens to Lucille at the end of Chapter 7 and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is "The Hard Goodbye" an example of neo-noir in the mystery genre? Discuss the genre, specific plot elements, dialogue, atmosphere, characterization, as well as the art in regards to this style.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze Marv and discuss his role as both protagonist and anti-hero.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symbolism of both the statue of Roark and his fortified compound.
This section contains 1,060 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)