|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is significant about what is strewn about the street when Marv finally leaves his room in Chapter 5?
2. Why is Marv afraid to trust his senses at the end of Chapter 5?
3. According to Marv, what is hell?
4. From what infirm does Marv's mother suffer?
5. Who is Tommy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the approaching police sirens indicate to Marv and why?
2. What does Marv swear to Goldie at the end of chapter two?
3. How does Marv move from the water to the streets without drawing attention to himself from the cops?
4. What are some of the mysteries Marv encounters in the first chapter of "The Hard Goodbye"?
5. What is significant about Marv believing that he caught Goldie's scent in the air?
6. Describe the scene in the beginning of "The Hard Goodbye."
7. How does Marv acquire a police cruiser and what happens to it by the end of the chapter?
8. How does Marv explain his injuries and activities to his mother when he goes to her home for Gladys?
9. What information does Marv get from the priest in chapter five?
10. Why does Marv discuss jigsaw puzzles at the beginning of chapter four?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the thematic elements of heaven and hell in "The Hard Goodbye."
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the roles of women in "The Hard Goodbye" and how their humanity is ignored by the male characters for varying reasons (Marv must be included in this analysis.)
Essay Topic 3
Discuss how the practice of making all vices illegal in Sin City has contributed to the decay of the city and the rise of the criminal elements.
This section contains 1,122 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)