|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marv hesitate to question about Goldie in the beginning of "The Hard Goodbye"?
2. What word describes the Sin City police force?
3. Why is Marv afraid to trust his senses at the end of Chapter 5?
4. After gaining the upper hand against the hit men, what does Marv take from one of them?
5. What breaks Marv's fall from the hotel?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about Lucille's gun?
2. How does Marv move from the water to the streets without drawing attention to himself from the cops?
3. Describe the encounters that lead Marv to the church.
4. How do Marv and Lucille feel about each other?
5. How does Marv explain his injuries and activities to his mother when he goes to her home for Gladys?
6. What do the approaching police sirens indicate to Marv and why?
7. What are the contrasts between Marv's feelings for Goldie that night and his past?
8. How does Marv acquire a police cruiser and what happens to it by the end of the chapter?
9. What does Marv swear to Goldie at the end of chapter two?
10. What happens to Marv after he leaves the church in chapter five?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the Roark family's influence and power in Sin City (from past to present) has brought about Kevin's serial killings.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Marv's relationships with the women in his life and what each one reveals about him.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the complex morality of Marv, as well as how this affects his relationships to other characters (including the reader).
This section contains 1,040 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)