|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Marv convince the priest to give him the name of the person who ordered Goldie's death?
2. How does Marv explain his injuries to his mother?
3. From what infirm does Marv's mother suffer?
4. How does Marv injure the bouncer to Kadie's?
5. Why is drinking illegal in Sin City?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Marv get his medication?
2. What happens to Marv after he leaves the church in chapter five?
3. How does Marv and Lucille escape from the farmhouse?
4. Describe the scene in the beginning of "The Hard Goodbye."
5. How does Marv escape from the hotel?
6. What does the construction of the room in which Lucille and Marv are being held suggest about its intended purpose?
7. What repercussions is Marv aware that he will face after he takes care of Roark?
8. What do the approaching police sirens indicate to Marv and why?
9. What is significant about Lucille's gun?
10. What are some of the mysteries Marv encounters in the first chapter of "The Hard Goodbye"?
Essay Topic 1
How is "The Hard Goodbye" an example of neo-noir in the mystery genre? Discuss the genre, specific plot elements, dialogue, atmosphere, characterization, as well as the art in regards to this style.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Marv's relationships with the women in his life and what each one reveals about him.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Marv's statement about the awfulness of not having a purpose, as well as how Wendy and Goldie factor into what he sees as salvation.
This section contains 1,403 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)