|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the priest call Goldie, prompting Marv to kill him?
2. What does Marv sense as he walks away from Kadie's?
3. What is Marv doing at the top of Chapter 2?
4. What kind of music does Kadie play in her nightclub?
5. What does Marv hesitate to question about Goldie in the beginning of "The Hard Goodbye"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Marv acquire a police cruiser and what happens to it by the end of the chapter?
2. Why does Marv send Weevil out to tell people his current location?
3. How does Marv pass the day in the beginning of chapter five?
4. What do the approaching police sirens indicate to Marv and why?
5. What does Marv believe will happen if he is caught by the police and what does this indicate about himself and the town?
6. What are some of the mysteries Marv encounters in the first chapter of "The Hard Goodbye"?
7. What is significant about the amount of illegal activities in Sin City?
8. Describe Marv's deductions about the police officers in chapter two.
9. How does Marv move from the water to the streets without drawing attention to himself from the cops?
10. Describe the encounters that lead Marv to the church.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the purpose of Marv's mental illness in terms of characterization, story, and atmosphere.
Essay Topic 2
Compose an essay that details and analyzes the madness in both Kevin and Roark, as well as how one has influenced the other.
Essay Topic 3
How is "The Hard Goodbye" an example of neo-noir in the mystery genre? Discuss the genre, specific plot elements, dialogue, atmosphere, characterization, as well as the art in regards to this style.
This section contains 1,099 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)