|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Marv hesitate to question about Goldie in the beginning of "The Hard Goodbye"?
2. For what reason did Marv hold himself responsible for failing to prevent Goldie's death?
3. Why is Marv unable to sleep?
4. About what does Marv pay a complement to one of the hit men who finds him in Kadie's?
5. How does Kadie repay Marv for the favors she owes him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the hit men who come after Marv at Kadie's?
2. How does Marv acquire a police cruiser and what happens to it by the end of the chapter?
3. What is significant about the amount of illegal activities in Sin City?
4. How does Marv get his medication?
5. What happens to Marv after he leaves the church in chapter five?
6. What does Marv discover when he wakes up in the hotel?
7. What do the approaching police sirens indicate to Marv and why?
8. What does Marv reveal about his philosophy in life to Lucille in her apartment?
9. How does Marv escape from the hotel?
10. Who is Nancy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the purpose of Marv's mental illness in terms of characterization, story, and atmosphere.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the practice of making all vices illegal in Sin City has contributed to the decay of the city and the rise of the criminal elements.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the religious symbolism and themes present in "The Hard Goodbye."
This section contains 1,047 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)