|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened when Claire tried to analyze Marv in therapy?
2. Describe the weather at the beginning of "The Hard Goodbye."
3. Why is Marv afraid to trust his senses at the end of Chapter 5?
4. How does Marv feel about Goldie during their night together?
5. Who is watching Marv as he leaves the bar at the end of Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Marv's deductions about the police officers in chapter two.
2. Why does Marv discuss jigsaw puzzles at the beginning of chapter four?
3. What does Marv discover when he wakes up in the hotel?
4. Describe the encounters that lead Marv to the church.
5. Describe the scene in the beginning of "The Hard Goodbye."
6. How does Marv acquire a police cruiser and what happens to it by the end of the chapter?
7. What does Marv believe will happen if he is caught by the police and what does this indicate about himself and the town?
8. Why does Marv send Weevil out to tell people his current location?
9. What is significant about Marv believing that he caught Goldie's scent in the air?
10. How does Marv explain his injuries and activities to his mother when he goes to her home for Gladys?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Marv's statement about the awfulness of not having a purpose, as well as how Wendy and Goldie factor into what he sees as salvation.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the thematic elements of heaven and hell in "The Hard Goodbye."
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the significance of the weather in "The Hard Goodbye," as well as the purpose of having dual rural and urban settings.
This section contains 1,128 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)