|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Marv unable to sleep?
2. What does Marv believe about the woman who hit him with her car?
3. Describe the weather at the beginning of "The Hard Goodbye."
4. In what setting does "The Hard Goodbye" begin?
5. What does Marv sense as he walks away from Kadie's?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marv reveal about his philosophy in life to Lucille in her apartment?
2. What is significant about Marv believing that he caught Goldie's scent in the air?
3. Why does Marv discuss jigsaw puzzles at the beginning of chapter four?
4. Why does Marv kill the priest?
5. Describe the encounters that lead Marv to the church.
6. How does Marv move from the water to the streets without drawing attention to himself from the cops?
7. Who is Nancy?
8. What does Marv believe about his encounter with Goldie's doppelganger near the church?
9. How does Marv escape from the hotel?
10. Describe Marv's deductions about the police officers in chapter two.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the religious symbolism and themes present in "The Hard Goodbye."
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Marv's relationships with the women in his life and what each one reveals about him.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Marv's statement about the awfulness of not having a purpose, as well as how Wendy and Goldie factor into what he sees as salvation.
This section contains 1,078 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)