|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the priest call Goldie, prompting Marv to kill him?
2. How does Marv attempt to pass the time while waiting for the day to go by in Chapter 5?
3. How does Marv explain his injuries to his mother?
4. From what infirm does Marv's mother suffer?
5. What does Marv ingest before the police knock on the hotel room door?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the alleyway by the hotel and what it reveals about Sin City.
2. How does Marv acquire a police cruiser and what happens to it by the end of the chapter?
3. What does Marv believe about his encounter with Goldie's doppelganger near the church?
4. Why does Marv kill the priest?
5. How do Marv and Lucille feel about each other?
6. What happens to the hit men who come after Marv at Kadie's?
7. What is significant about Lucille's gun?
8. What is significant about the amount of illegal activities in Sin City?
9. How does Marv escape from the hotel?
10. What do the approaching police sirens indicate to Marv and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How is "The Hard Goodbye" an example of neo-noir in the mystery genre? Discuss the genre, specific plot elements, dialogue, atmosphere, characterization, as well as the art in regards to this style.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the thematic elements of heaven and hell in "The Hard Goodbye."
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the ways in which the unique art of "Sin City" is utilized in order to most effectively tell the story.
This section contains 1,070 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)