|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Marv know the police are on their way to his hotel room?
2. Why is Marv unable to sleep?
3. What does Lucille take with her to investigate the noises outside her window?
4. What happens to Marv after he is hit by the car for the third time?
5. What confuses Marv about Lucille?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the mysteries Marv encounters in the first chapter of "The Hard Goodbye"?
2. What does Marv discover when he wakes up in the hotel?
3. What is significant about Marv believing that he caught Goldie's scent in the air?
4. How does Marv acquire a police cruiser and what happens to it by the end of the chapter?
5. What is significant about Lucille's gun?
6. Why does Marv send Weevil out to tell people his current location?
7. Why does Marv discuss jigsaw puzzles at the beginning of chapter four?
8. What is significant about the amount of illegal activities in Sin City?
9. What information does Marv get from the priest in chapter five?
10. Why does Marv kill the priest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Marv's relationships with the women in his life and what each one reveals about him.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the roles of women in "The Hard Goodbye" and how their humanity is ignored by the male characters for varying reasons (Marv must be included in this analysis.)
Essay Topic 3
Explain the thematic elements of heaven and hell in "The Hard Goodbye."
This section contains 1,104 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)