|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Marv torture the man who hired Tommy?
2. What confuses Marv about Lucille?
3. Why does Marv not believe the priest when told that Roark is involved in Goldie's murder?
4. What is significant about what is strewn about the street when Marv finally leaves his room in Chapter 5?
5. Who is waiting for Marv to surface from the water, not knowing that he has exited the water another way?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the mysteries Marv encounters in the first chapter of "The Hard Goodbye"?
2. Describe the encounters that lead Marv to the church.
3. Describe the scene in the beginning of "The Hard Goodbye."
4. What is significant about the pill Marv takes in chapter two?
5. Why does Marv discuss jigsaw puzzles at the beginning of chapter four?
6. What happens to Marv after he leaves the church in chapter five?
7. Why does Marv kill the priest?
8. Who is Nancy?
9. How does Marv get his medication?
10. How does Marv explain his injuries and activities to his mother when he goes to her home for Gladys?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze the symbolism of cannibalism in "The Hard Goodbye."
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the Roark family's influence and power in Sin City (from past to present) has brought about Kevin's serial killings.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Marv's relationships with the women in his life and what each one reveals about him.
This section contains 1,053 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)