|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What confuses Marv about Lucille?
2. What does the priest call Goldie, prompting Marv to kill him?
3. How long does Marv sleep after making love to Goldie?
4. How does Marv feel about Goldie during their night together?
5. When Marv is cornered by the police car after escaping from the hotel, what does he break on it?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the scene in the beginning of "The Hard Goodbye."
2. What happens to the hit men who come after Marv at Kadie's?
3. How does Marv explain his injuries and activities to his mother when he goes to her home for Gladys?
4. How does Marv move from the water to the streets without drawing attention to himself from the cops?
5. How does Marv get his medication?
6. Describe the alleyway by the hotel and what it reveals about Sin City.
7. What happens to Marv after he leaves the church in chapter five?
8. What do the approaching police sirens indicate to Marv and why?
9. Why does Marv kill the priest?
10. What does Marv swear to Goldie at the end of chapter two?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the practice of making all vices illegal in Sin City has contributed to the decay of the city and the rise of the criminal elements.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the thematic elements of heaven and hell in "The Hard Goodbye."
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Marv and discuss his role as both protagonist and anti-hero.
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)