|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Marv feel about Goldie during their night together?
2. How does Marv manage to return to the streets after escaping the police in Chapter 3?
3. Why does Marv wish to get the attention of the people who framed him for Goldie's murder?
4. What confuses Marv about Lucille?
5. According to Marv, his torture of Goldie's murderer will be so horrible, ____ will be a relief.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the mysteries Marv encounters in the first chapter of "The Hard Goodbye"?
2. How does Marv escape from the hotel?
3. Why does Marv kill the priest?
4. What does Marv believe will happen if he is caught by the police and what does this indicate about himself and the town?
5. Describe the scene in the beginning of "The Hard Goodbye."
6. What does Marv discover when he wakes up in the hotel?
7. Describe Marv's deductions about the police officers in chapter two.
8. How does Marv pass the day in the beginning of chapter five?
9. What do the approaching police sirens indicate to Marv and why?
10. Why does Marv discuss jigsaw puzzles at the beginning of chapter four?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the complex morality of Marv, as well as how this affects his relationships to other characters (including the reader).
Essay Topic 2
How is "The Hard Goodbye" an example of neo-noir in the mystery genre? Discuss the genre, specific plot elements, dialogue, atmosphere, characterization, as well as the art in regards to this style.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze Marv and discuss his role as both protagonist and anti-hero.
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)