|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the top of Chapter 4, for what does Marv admit to having a talent?
2. What does Marv instantly realize about the cause of Goldie's death?
3. How does Lucille procure medication for Marv?
4. What is Lucille's relationship to Marv?
5. What does Marv ask for when Lucille finds him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Nancy?
2. What happens to the hit men who come after Marv at Kadie's?
3. Describe Marv's deductions about the police officers in chapter two.
4. What do the approaching police sirens indicate to Marv and why?
5. Why does Marv discuss jigsaw puzzles at the beginning of chapter four?
6. How does Marv move from the water to the streets without drawing attention to himself from the cops?
7. What does Marv swear to Goldie at the end of chapter two?
8. How do Marv and Lucille feel about each other?
9. What does Marv believe will happen if he is caught by the police and what does this indicate about himself and the town?
10. How does Marv pass the day in the beginning of chapter five?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Marv's relationships with the women in his life and what each one reveals about him.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the roles of women in "The Hard Goodbye" and how their humanity is ignored by the male characters for varying reasons (Marv must be included in this analysis.)
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the complex morality of Marv, as well as how this affects his relationships to other characters (including the reader).
This section contains 1,036 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)