|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Marv climb up to Lucille's apartment?
2. Why does Marv not believe the priest when told that Roark is involved in Goldie's murder?
3. According to Marv, what is hell?
4. Describe the weather at the beginning of "The Hard Goodbye."
5. What does Lucille warn Marv will be the penalty for his activities that night?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Nancy?
2. What happens to Marv after he leaves the church in chapter five?
3. What happens when the wolf approaches Marv and why?
4. Who is Wendy?
5. What are some of the mysteries Marv encounters in the first chapter of "The Hard Goodbye"?
6. What information does Marv get from the priest in chapter five?
7. Why does Marv enjoy the rain so much?
8. What does Marv swear to Goldie at the end of chapter two?
9. Why does Marv kill the priest?
10. How does Marv get his medication?
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Marv's statement about the awfulness of not having a purpose, as well as how Wendy and Goldie factor into what he sees as salvation.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the complex morality of Marv, as well as how this affects his relationships to other characters (including the reader).
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Marv's perceptions of himself with the reality of what the readers learn about the character.
This section contains 1,336 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)