|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lucille warn Marv will be the penalty for his activities that night?
2. When Marv tells Lucille that he fought some cops, what does she ask in return?
3. In what setting does "The Hard Goodbye" begin?
4. What does Marv hesitate to question about Goldie in the beginning of "The Hard Goodbye"?
5. Why is Marv unable to sleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marv believe will happen if he is caught by the police and what does this indicate about himself and the town?
2. Describe the scene in the beginning of "The Hard Goodbye."
3. What is significant about Marv believing that he caught Goldie's scent in the air?
4. How does Marv escape from the hotel?
5. Describe Marv's deductions about the police officers in chapter two.
6. What does Marv believe about his encounter with Goldie's doppelganger near the church?
7. What does Marv swear to Goldie at the end of chapter two?
8. What does Marv reveal about his philosophy in life to Lucille in her apartment?
9. What do the approaching police sirens indicate to Marv and why?
10. How does Marv get his medication?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how the Roark family's influence and power in Sin City (from past to present) has brought about Kevin's serial killings.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the thematic elements of heaven and hell in "The Hard Goodbye."
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the roles of women in "The Hard Goodbye" and how their humanity is ignored by the male characters for varying reasons (Marv must be included in this analysis.)
This section contains 1,055 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)