|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom do the police answer?
(a) The law.
(b) The police captain.
(c) The underworld.
(d) Whoever pays them.
2. How long does Marv sleep after making love to Goldie?
(a) Three hours.
(b) Two hours.
(c) Four hours.
(d) Five hours.
3. Why does Marv profess to like hit men?
(a) He used to be a hit man.
(b) He knows they will be honest with him.
(c) They are honest about their jobs.
(d) He can hurt them without remorse.
4. What happened when Claire tried to analyze Marv in therapy?
(a) Lucille grew jealous.
(b) The police nearly arrested Claire.
(c) She got too scared.
(d) Marv grew angry.
5. Who is approaching the room as Marv says goodbye to Goldie?
(a) The hotel manager.
(b) His psychiatrist.
(c) The police.
(d) Her sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. About what does Marv pay a complement to one of the hit men who finds him in Kadie's?
2. At the top of Chapter 4, for what does Marv admit to having a talent?
3. In what setting does "The Hard Goodbye" begin?
4. After gaining the upper hand against the hit men, what does Marv take from one of them?
5. What is significant about what is strewn about the street when Marv finally leaves his room in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Marv discuss jigsaw puzzles at the beginning of chapter four?
2. What happens to the hit men who come after Marv at Kadie's?
3. What happens to Marv after he leaves the church in chapter five?
4. How does Marv pass the day in the beginning of chapter five?
5. What information does Marv get from the priest in chapter five?
6. What does Marv believe about his encounter with Goldie's doppelganger near the church?
7. What are some of the mysteries Marv encounters in the first chapter of "The Hard Goodbye"?
8. What does Marv swear to Goldie at the end of chapter two?
9. Describe the scene in the beginning of "The Hard Goodbye."
10. How does Marv explain his injuries and activities to his mother when he goes to her home for Gladys?
This section contains 1,118 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)