|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What ultimately happens to the police car Marv steals after his hotel escape?
(a) He sets it on fire.
(b) He leaves it in a junkyard.
(c) He drives it off a pier.
(d) He crashes it into a brick wall.
2. How does Lucille procure medication for Marv?
(a) Her girlfriend is a psychiatrist.
(b) She goes through her dealer.
(c) She steals it from a hospital.
(d) Her brother is a pharmacist.
3. How does Marv convince the priest to give him the name of the person who ordered Goldie's death?
(a) He threatens to go to the newspaper with the story.
(b) He holds the priest underwater.
(c) He threatens to burn down the confessional.
(d) He lets the priest hear him cocking his pistol.
4. What container does Marv carry on him in Chapter 2?
(b) Prescription pill bottle.
(c) Cigarette case.
(d) Water bottle.
5. After whom did Marv name his gun?
(a) His mother.
(b) A nun at his school.
(c) His first girlfriend.
(d) A prostitute.
Short Answer Questions
1. Into what does Marv swim after driving the car off the pier?
2. Who is approaching the room as Marv says goodbye to Goldie?
3. Where does Marv throw the cops after pulling them from their cruiser in Chapter 2?
4. What breaks Marv's fall from the hotel?
5. What does Marv realize he needs at the end of Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about Lucille's gun?
2. How does Marv move from the water to the streets without drawing attention to himself from the cops?
3. How does Marv get his medication?
4. Describe the encounters that lead Marv to the church.
5. Describe the scene in the beginning of "The Hard Goodbye."
6. What does Marv discover when he wakes up in the hotel?
7. How does Marv escape from the hotel?
8. What does Marv reveal about his philosophy in life to Lucille in her apartment?
9. What does Marv swear to Goldie at the end of chapter two?
10. How does Marv explain his injuries and activities to his mother when he goes to her home for Gladys?
This section contains 1,072 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)