|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a significant descriptor of Kadie?
2. Who is approaching the room as Marv says goodbye to Goldie?
(a) The police.
(b) His psychiatrist.
(c) Her sister.
(d) The hotel manager.
3. How does Kadie repay Marv for the favors she owes him?
(a) Marv can be given sanctuary in her bar.
(b) Marv is paid back in weapons.
(c) Marv drinks for free at her bar.
(d) Marv is allowed to do anything he wants in the bar.
4. To whom do the police answer?
(a) Whoever pays them.
(b) The underworld.
(c) The law.
(d) The police captain.
5. When Marv is cornered by the police car after escaping from the hotel, what does he break on it?
(a) The flashing lights.
(b) The side mirrors.
(c) The windshield.
(d) The headlights.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what setting does "The Hard Goodbye" begin?
2. What happens to Marv after he is hit by the car for the third time?
3. Who is the stripper onstage at Kadie's when Marv arrives?
4. What word describes the Sin City police force?
5. Describe the weather at the beginning of "The Hard Goodbye."
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marv discover when he wakes up in the hotel?
2. What does Marv swear to Goldie at the end of chapter two?
3. What are the contrasts between Marv's feelings for Goldie that night and his past?
4. Why does Marv discuss jigsaw puzzles at the beginning of chapter four?
5. Describe the encounters that lead Marv to the church.
6. What do the approaching police sirens indicate to Marv and why?
7. What is significant about Lucille's gun?
8. Who is Nancy?
9. What is significant about the pill Marv takes in chapter two?
10. What happens to the hit men who come after Marv at Kadie's?
This section contains 1,004 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)