|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Marv convince the priest to give him the name of the person who ordered Goldie's death?
(a) He lets the priest hear him cocking his pistol.
(b) He threatens to burn down the confessional.
(c) He holds the priest underwater.
(d) He threatens to go to the newspaper with the story.
2. From what infirm does Marv's mother suffer?
(a) Unable to walk.
3. What is significant about what is strewn about the street when Marv finally leaves his room in Chapter 5?
(a) There are bodies everywhere.
(b) Marv sees the evidence of a recent gun fight.
(c) The streets are completely cleaned up.
(d) Marv sees wanted posters with his picture.
4. Why did Marv go to a church in Chapter 5?
(a) He wants to confess his sins.
(b) He needs sanctuary.
(c) The priest used to be his teacher.
(d) The priest was implicated in Goldie's murder.
5. What ultimately happens to the police car Marv steals after his hotel escape?
(a) He crashes it into a brick wall.
(b) He leaves it in a junkyard.
(c) He drives it off a pier.
(d) He sets it on fire.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what reason did Marv hold himself responsible for failing to prevent Goldie's death?
2. What does the arrival of the police officers in Chapter 1 indicate to Marv?
3. Describe the weather at the beginning of "The Hard Goodbye."
4. What makes Marv cry in his mother's home?
5. Upon what events from his past does Marv reflect as being partially healed by his night with Goldie?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Marv escape from the hotel?
2. Why does Marv discuss jigsaw puzzles at the beginning of chapter four?
3. What happens to the hit men who come after Marv at Kadie's?
4. Describe the scene in the beginning of "The Hard Goodbye."
5. How does Marv pass the day in the beginning of chapter five?
6. How does Marv move from the water to the streets without drawing attention to himself from the cops?
7. What are some of the mysteries Marv encounters in the first chapter of "The Hard Goodbye"?
8. Describe the encounters that lead Marv to the church.
9. What does Marv believe will happen if he is caught by the police and what does this indicate about himself and the town?
10. What is significant about Marv believing that he caught Goldie's scent in the air?
This section contains 1,207 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)