|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Marv not believe the priest when told that Roark is involved in Goldie's murder?
(a) Roark is incredibly powerful.
(b) Roark died months earlier.
(c) Roark is a priest.
(d) Roark is a friend.
2. What breaks Marv's fall from the hotel?
(b) Garbage bags.
(c) Police cruiser.
(d) Human bodies.
3. What does Marv sense as he walks away from Kadie's?
(a) Goldie's scent.
(b) Someone is watching him.
(c) He is about to be killed.
(d) He is completely alone.
4. Where does Marv land after escaping the hotel?
(a) Swimming pool.
(b) Police car.
(c) Rooftop of a restaurant.
5. Why does the bouncer initially try to tell Marv to leave?
(a) His wounds from the fight with the cops.
(b) His military-style coat.
(c) Marv once beat the bouncer for hassling a girl.
(d) His gun.
6. How does Marv climb up to Lucille's apartment?
(a) He has nails embedded into his boots.
(b) He hangs by the bricks.
(c) He has a grappling hook.
(d) He finds a ladder.
7. What does the arrival of the police officers in Chapter 1 indicate to Marv?
(a) He is being framed.
(b) The murderer has been caught already.
(c) Goldie screamed for help.
(d) He could turn the case over to them.
8. Why did Marv go to a church in Chapter 5?
(a) The priest was implicated in Goldie's murder.
(b) He wants to confess his sins.
(c) He needs sanctuary.
(d) The priest used to be his teacher.
9. About whom does Marv think when he finally exits the stolen police car?
(a) The police officers.
(c) Cardinal Roark.
10. When Marv tells Lucille that he fought some cops, what does she ask in return?
(a) Whether Marv should have really fought them.
(b) Whether they deserved it.
(c) Whether he killed anyone.
(d) Whether they knew he was at her apartment.
11. At the top of Chapter 4, for what does Marv admit to having a talent?
(a) Solving jigsaw puzzles.
(d) Rescuing people.
12. Describe the weather at the beginning of "The Hard Goodbye."
13. Who called the police in Chapter 1?
(a) The man at the front desk.
(c) The murderer.
14. How does Marv injure the bouncer to Kadie's?
(a) He crushes his kneecap.
(b) He snaps his wrist.
(c) He breaks his teeth.
(d) He pushes in his eyes.
15. To whom do the police answer?
(a) The law.
(b) The underworld.
(c) The police captain.
(d) Whoever pays them.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Tommy?
2. What ultimately happens to the police car Marv steals after his hotel escape?
3. Where does Marv throw the cops after pulling them from their cruiser in Chapter 2?
4. What does Marv promise Goldie's dead body?
5. What does Marv hesitate to question about Goldie in the beginning of "The Hard Goodbye"?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)