|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Marv believe about the woman who hit him with her car?
(a) It is someone playing a cruel prank on him.
(b) He is hallucinating.
(c) It is Goldie.
(d) It is Goldie's sister.
2. Who called the police in Chapter 1?
(a) The man at the front desk.
(c) The murderer.
3. What breaks Marv's fall from the hotel?
(a) Police cruiser.
(b) Garbage bags.
(c) Human bodies.
4. Why can Marv not go outside during the day?
(a) His skin is sensitive to the sun.
(b) Too many people are looking for him.
(c) He cannot see very well in the sunlight.
(d) He gets too many stares because of his looks.
5. According to Marv, what is hell?
(a) Constantly being misunderstood.
(b) Having no purpose in life.
(c) Having Goldie taken away from him.
(d) Eternal pain.
6. After gaining the upper hand against the hit men, what does Marv take from one of them?
(a) His sword.
(b) His coat.
(c) His police badge.
(d) His gun.
7. What does Marv believe will happen if the police should find him?
(a) He will be arrested.
(b) He will escape.
(c) He will be killed.
(d) He will negotiate his release.
8. About what does Marv pay a complement to one of the hit men who finds him in Kadie's?
(a) His tie.
(b) His coat.
(c) His shoes.
(d) His gun.
9. Why is Marv unable to sleep?
(a) He is too excited.
(b) The room smells rank.
(c) The place is too noisy and hot.
(d) He is nervous.
10. Why did Marv go to a church in Chapter 5?
(a) He needs sanctuary.
(b) He wants to confess his sins.
(c) The priest was implicated in Goldie's murder.
(d) The priest used to be his teacher.
11. How does Marv manage to return to the streets after escaping the police in Chapter 3?
(a) He disguises himself as a police officer.
(b) He takes the long way around to Lucille's apartment.
(c) He leaves a false trail for the police to follow.
(d) He climbs up a manhole.
12. When making his escape from the hotel, where is Marv shot?
13. What does Marv realize he needs at the end of Chapter 4?
14. How does Marv explain his injuries to his mother?
(a) He got into a fight over someone insulting his girlfriend.
(b) He fell down the stairs.
(c) He cut himself shaving.
(d) He was mugged on the way home.
15. How does Marv escape from the hotel room?
(a) He sets the room on fire.
(b) He scales down the wall.
(c) He jumps from the balcony.
(d) He breaks the down the door.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what setting does "The Hard Goodbye" begin?
2. Describe the weather at the beginning of "The Hard Goodbye."
3. What ultimately happens to the police car Marv steals after his hotel escape?
4. Who is approaching the room as Marv says goodbye to Goldie?
5. What does Marv sense as he walks away from Kadie's?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)