|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the arrival of the police officers in Chapter 1 indicate to Marv?
(a) He could turn the case over to them.
(b) The murderer has been caught already.
(c) Goldie screamed for help.
(d) He is being framed.
2. How does Marv escape from the hotel room?
(a) He scales down the wall.
(b) He sets the room on fire.
(c) He breaks the down the door.
(d) He jumps from the balcony.
3. For what reason did Marv hold himself responsible for failing to prevent Goldie's death?
(a) He was scared.
(b) He was strung-out.
(c) He was exhausted.
(d) He was drunk.
4. What does Marv hesitate to question about Goldie in the beginning of "The Hard Goodbye"?
(a) Why she is with him.
(b) Why he saw her double on the street earlier.
(c) If she is on drugs.
(d) What she does for a living.
5. What does Marv believe about the woman who hit him with her car?
(a) It is Goldie's sister.
(b) He is hallucinating.
(c) It is someone playing a cruel prank on him.
(d) It is Goldie.
6. What makes Marv cry in his mother's home?
(a) The absence of his father.
(b) The smells from childhood.
(c) The disarray.
(d) His mother's cane.
7. Why does the bouncer initially try to tell Marv to leave?
(a) His gun.
(b) Marv once beat the bouncer for hassling a girl.
(c) His wounds from the fight with the cops.
(d) His military-style coat.
8. At the top of Chapter 4, for what does Marv admit to having a talent?
(a) Solving jigsaw puzzles.
(b) Rescuing people.
9. What does Marv note about the condition of Goldie's dead body?
(a) She has been shot several times.
(b) There are no marks on her.
(c) She has been stabbed.
(d) She has been burned.
10. What sort of bed are Marv and Goldie together on?
(a) Flea infested.
(b) Water bed.
11. To whom do the police answer?
(a) The law.
(b) The police captain.
(c) Whoever pays them.
(d) The underworld.
12. How does Marv climb up to Lucille's apartment?
(a) He has nails embedded into his boots.
(b) He has a grappling hook.
(c) He hangs by the bricks.
(d) He finds a ladder.
13. According to Marv, his torture of Goldie's murderer will be so horrible, ____ will be a relief.
14. Who is approaching the room as Marv says goodbye to Goldie?
(a) The police.
(b) The hotel manager.
(c) Her sister.
(d) His psychiatrist.
15. What confuses Marv about Lucille?
(a) Her lawful ways.
(b) Her anger at him.
(c) Her compassion for him.
(d) Her lesbianism.
Short Answer Questions
1. About whom does Marv think when he finally exits the stolen police car?
2. How does Marv convince the priest to give him the name of the person who ordered Goldie's death?
3. How long does Marv sleep after making love to Goldie?
4. Why does Marv wish to get the attention of the people who framed him for Goldie's murder?
5. What kind of car does the priest drive?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)