|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Francie spend her day at Aunt Lydia's house?
2. What does Granny want to put around the new baby's neck?
3. What do Augustine and Helen Butler do to Francie on the way home from school?
4. What do white children throw at Francie at the drugstore?
5. Why does Francie not put her shoes on until she gets to school?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Francie's reasoning for embarrassing Holly in front of her guests?
2. Why is Francie so intent on teaching Jesse to read?
3. Why has Jesse left school and who does Francie think can help her reach him so she can continue the reading lessons?
4. What do trains represent for Francie?
5. How is Francie treated at Diller's Drugs and what does Mr. Diller accuse her of?
6. Where does Francie see a "Wanted' poster of Jesse? What does Vell Green tell Francie about Jesse?
7. What does Mama tell Francie when she is concerned about Jesse's welfare?
8. What do Miss Beach and a lot of other people think about Francie's father?
9. How does the author use foreshadowing regarding Jesse's hiding in the woods?
10. Who are Augustine and Mae Butler? Why do they not like Francie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Jesse. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were his dreams and fears? What was most valuable to him in his world?
Essay Topic 2
Karen English is a master at dramatic devices. Choose an example of symbolism, metaphor, and irony. Briefly identify the technique of each example and explain why it is classified as such.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Clarissa. What is her role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by developing Clarissa's character in the novel?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)