|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Jesse doing at the Montgomery home?
2. Who arrives at the house to help with the baby?
3. What does Francie withhold from her Mother?
4. What is Francie's father's job?
5. How much does Francie pay for a Scooter Pie?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Treasure and how does she frustrate Francie?
2. Describe some of the things that make Francie's life hard for her, especially for a girl her age.
3. Describe the scene in Diller's Drugs where Francie and Holly have an encounter.
4. What are some of the cultural differences in Francie's world because she is a black girl?
5. What do trains represent for Francie?
6. How does Francie's race make her the guilty one in the situation at Diller's Drugs/
7. Why does Francie exhibit some passive-aggressive behavior?
8. Why do Francie and her mother have to endure humiliation from white people?
9. What does Clarissa not do at Diller's Drugs that reinforces Francie's thoughts that white people can't be trusted?
10. What does grammar school commencement mean to Francie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Mama. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
Essay Topic 2
Explain Karen English's use of regionalism in the book. Cite examples of at least two different instances of regionalism and explain why the author used them where she did.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does the author mean by calling it simply FRANCIE. What is she trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each.
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)