|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does a birth in the family mean for Francie's family?
2. What does Francie do at her job?
3. What does Francie see Holly Grace stealing at the drug store?
4. Where does Francie go when Green's is out of Scooter Pies?
5. Who is Prez?
Short Essay Questions
1. What words of caution does Francie's mother give her about Clarissa?
2. Where does Francie see a "Wanted' poster of Jesse? What does Vell Green tell Francie about Jesse?
3. Who is Jesse Pruitt? What is Francie happy to do for him?
4. Why does Francie end up in town on the way home? What does she see Holly Grace doing there?
5. Why do Francie and her mother have to endure humiliation from white people?
6. Why is Francie so intent on teaching Jesse to read?
7. What does Mama tell Francie when she is concerned about Jesse's welfare?
8. What does grammar school commencement mean to Francie?
9. How does Francie escape punishment from her mother for being in town when she isn't supposed to be?
10. How is Clarissa's room a stark contrast for the way Francie lives?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Create a brief character study of Francie. What did she look like? What were her positive personality traits? What were her dreams and fears? What was most valuable to her in her world?
Essay Topic 2
FRANCIE is a classic example of a coming-of-age story. What does that classification entail? Why does this book fit into this category?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Miss Lafayette. What is her role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by developing Miss Lafayette's character in the novel?
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)