|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the Butler children NOT bring to school?
2. For what reason does Francie receive an award on Commencement Day?
3. A young woman dressed as a ________________ approaches Francie.
4. At whose home does Francie work?
5. What is Jesse's last name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why has Jesse left school and who does Francie think can help her reach him so she can continue the reading lessons?
2. How does the author use foreshadowing regarding Jesse's hiding in the woods?
3. What are some of the elements in Francie's world that are causing her so much angst lately?
4. How does the author show Francie's values?
5. How is Clarissa's room a stark contrast for the way Francie lives?
6. How does Francie escape punishment from her mother for being in town when she isn't supposed to be?
7. Who is Alberta and how does Francie meet her?
8. Why does Francie end up in town on the way home? What does she see Holly Grace doing there?
9. What do Miss Beach and a lot of other people think about Francie's father?
10. What does Clarissa tell Francie that she is working on and what does Clarissa give to Francie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the significance of the book's title. What does the author mean by calling it simply FRANCIE. What is she trying to emphasize with this emphatic style? Suggest three alternate titles for this book with supporting rationale for each.
Essay Topic 2
What is the greatest lesson Francie learns from Jesse? Is it true that important lessons are also painful ones? What will Francie always recall about Jesse? How was she able to reach out to him that summer?
Essay Topic 3
The author used more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book and then explain why the examples support the theme.
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)