|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Francie is responsible for all of her family's _______________________-.
2. Which cousin does Prez play with most of the time?
3. What is Francie's mother doing in town when Francie sees her?
4. What does the teacher ask Francie to do for Jesse?
5. Who arrives at the house to help with the baby?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the content of the letter sent by Francie's father?
2. What does Granny usually do when she sees Francie? To what does Mama attribute Granny's superstitious ways?
3. How does Francie get back at Holly when she is serving at Holly's home after Holly threatens her about spreading lies about her?
4. How is Clarissa's room a stark contrast for the way Francie lives?
5. What do Miss Beach and a lot of other people think about Francie's father?
6. Who are Augustine and Mae Butler? Why do they not like Francie?
7. Describe some of the things that make Francie's life hard for her, especially for a girl her age.
8. How does Francie's race make her the guilty one in the situation at Diller's Drugs/
9. Who is Alberta and how does Francie meet her?
10. What does grammar school commencement mean to Francie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Clarissa. What is her role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by developing Clarissa's character in the novel?
Essay Topic 2
There are several events of foreshadowing in FRANCIE. Define foreshadowing. Cite at least two situations in the story that serve as foreshadowing.
Essay Topic 3
Racial prejudice takes on an almost human persona in this book. What were the sources of prejudice in the story? What is this literary technique called? Cite examples that support this position.
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)