|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Vell is usually referred to as being ___________________.
2. What is the name of the cat that scratches Francie?
3. What does Daddy say in his letter that arrives?
4. Which cousin does Prez play with most of the time?
5. What does Francie catch a glimpse of in the woods?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Francie escape punishment from her mother for being in town when she isn't supposed to be?
2. How has Alberta disguised herself from her traveling companions?
3. What words of caution does Francie's mother give her about Clarissa?
4. Describe some of the things that make Francie's life hard for her, especially for a girl her age.
5. Describe the scene in Diller's Drugs where Francie and Holly have an encounter.
6. Why is Francie so intent on teaching Jesse to read?
7. What are some of the elements in Francie's world that are causing her so much angst lately?
8. What do trains represent for Francie?
9. What is the content of the letter sent by Francie's father?
10. How does Francie's race make her the guilty one in the situation at Diller's Drugs/
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author uses more than one iteration on the theme of racial prejudice. Identify at least two instances about prejudice in the book and then cite examples to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
The author used more than one iteration on the theme of loss. Identify at least two examples about loss in the book and then explain why the examples support the theme.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Alberta. What is her role in the story? What was the author trying to accomplish by developing Alberta's character in the novel?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)