|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Francie think she will do when she moves to Chicago?
(a) Ride the "L."
(b) Learn to paint.
(c) Sing in the church choir.
(d) Take piano lessons.
2. How does Francie spend her day at Aunt Lydia's house?
(a) Washing and hanging out diapers.
(b) Rocking the baby.
(c) Fixing food.
(d) Cleaning the house.
3. How far does Jesse have to walk to school each day?
(a) 6-7 miles.
(b) About a mile.
(c) 3 blocks.
(d) A few blocks.
4. What do Augustine and Helen Butler do to Francie on the way home from school?
(a) Make fun of her new shoes.
(b) Taunt her for being teacher's pet.
(c) Push her down.
(d) Offer her an ice cream cone.
5. Which of the following information is NOT included on the Wanted poster?
(a) The person has a large facial scar.
(b) The person is armed.
(c) The person is dangerous.
(d) The person is wanted for murder.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Francie not put her shoes on until she gets to school?
2. A young woman dressed as a ________________ approaches Francie.
3. What book does Miss Lafayette give to Francie?
4. What is the name of Aunt Lydia's new baby?
5. Why does Francie have to go to Clarissa Montgomery's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do trains represent for Francie?
2. Why does Francie exhibit some passive-aggressive behavior?
3. How does Francie's race make her the guilty one in the situation at Diller's Drugs/
4. How is Clarissa's room a stark contrast for the way Francie lives?
5. Why do Francie and her mother have to endure humiliation from white people?
6. Why do the Butler girls resent Francie? How do they taunt her?
7. How does the author use foreshadowing regarding Jesse's hiding in the woods?
8. How is Francie treated at Diller's Drugs and what does Mr. Diller accuse her of?
9. How does Francie escape punishment from her mother for being in town when she isn't supposed to be?
10. Why does Francie end up in town on the way home? What does she see Holly Grace doing there?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)