|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 'Pages from a Journal...' for whom is the narrator searching?
2. In the poem 'Instructions' what is it important to always trust?
3. What story is the father reading to his child in 'Locks'?
4. What is pitiable about sufferers?
5. With what does he baptize the model?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the character of Harlequin.
2. In 'My Life' is the poet telling the truth about anything he says?
3. What different kinds of vampires are there in 'Fifteen Painted Cards from a Vampire Tarot'?
4. Do the machines feel emotion?
5. Why does Triolet say that she is a poem?
6. Based on this story, how do you think the author feels about the problem of Susan?
7. Do you think Miss Corvier is supernatural or a normal but disturbed human?
8. In what ways is 'In The End' a reversal of the creation story in Genesis?
9. Based on the ideas explored in 'Fifteen Painted Cards from a Vampire Tarot' why do you think vampire stories are so popular?
10. Is 'In the End' a hopeful story or a sad one?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss characterization in two of the stories or poems in the collection. How has the author communicated what the characters are like, and how does he create sympathy for them? Do the characters act consistently? Do they seem like real people?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss greed in these stories and poems. Who is greedy and why? How is greed represented and what happens to the people who are greedy? You should discuss the stories 'Sunbird' and 'Keepsakes and Treasures' in your answer, but you can bring in any other stories or poems of your choice as well.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss lessons in the stories and poems in this collection. Which poems and stories contain a moral? What kinds of morals or lessons are taught, and are they repeated in different stories? Do you think this is the author's own view?
This section contains 2,284 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)