|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What has next door's cat left on the professor's doormat?
2. What mild deformity does the girl have?
3. Where is the author the second time reality seems to fade?
4. Why does the person in the poem not notice the end of the world?
5. What has happened to her people?
Short Essay Questions
1. Are the boys at the party in any danger?
2. Why does the father in 'Locks' feel that we owe it to ourselves to tell each other stories?
3. Describe the character of Harlequin.
4. In 'My Life' is the poet telling the truth about anything he says?
5. Do you think Miss Corvier is supernatural or a normal but disturbed human?
6. Why does Becky break up with the narrator?
7. What is the 'problem of Susan'?
8. Describe the narrator's attempts to find Scarlet in 'Pages from a Journal...'
9. What makes it clear that the author of 'Disease Maker's Croup' is suffering from the disease himself?
10. Based on the ideas explored in 'Fifteen Painted Cards from a Vampire Tarot' why do you think vampire stories are so popular?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the author's use of metaphor and symbolism in two stories or poems of your choice from the collection.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of childhood innocence and growing up in two stories or poems of your choice from the collection. Compare the messages given by the author in each one.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss lessons in the stories and poems in this collection. Which poems and stories contain a moral? What kinds of morals or lessons are taught, and are they repeated in different stories? Do you think this is the author's own view?
This section contains 2,103 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)