|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Scarlet calls the narrator, what does she tell him/her?
2. When the author suddenly finds himself back in the 70s, what happens?
3. In 'The Chariot,' what do the people of Earth do to ensure that they are protected from the race of super humans they have genetically created?
4. What decision does the narrator make?
5. Where does Harlequin find himself at the end of the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the machines interested in the narrator?
2. Is 'In the End' a hopeful story or a sad one?
3. Describe the narrator's attempts to find Scarlet in 'Pages from a Journal...'
4. Why does Becky break up with the narrator?
5. Based on this story, how do you think the author feels about the problem of Susan?
6. In 'The Day the Saucer's Came' why does the person in the poem not notice such incredible events?
7. In what ways is 'In The End' a reversal of the creation story in Genesis?
8. In 'My Life' is the poet telling the truth about anything he says?
9. What might the plasticine gargoyle symbolize?
10. Why do you think Eddie Barrow lets himself be eaten in 'Feeders and Eaters'? Does he have a choice?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of reality and fiction in these stories and poems. What are the differences between real life and stories? Why does the author keep returning to this theme?
Essay Topic 2
What kinds of fragile things can be found in the stories and poems in this collection? What do they symbolize or represent? Why are they fragile, and how has the author communicated this sense of fragility?
Essay Topic 3
The author often uses storytelling with first person narrators to tell his stories and poems. In which stories and poems does he do this, and why? What effect does this create? How does it complement the story that is being told?
This section contains 2,179 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)