|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom are the detective and the narrator taken to see after they have looked at the crime scene?
2. What is the third play in the trio that the detective takes the narrator to?
3. Why does Inspector Lestrade visit them?
4. What does Runt decide at the end of the story?
5. What does the ghost boy tell Runt his name is?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Runt decide to go into the farmhouse at the end of October's story?
2. Why do you think the narrator gives up his old life, and why does he pretend to be the professor?
3. Why does the writer in 'Forbidden Brides...' enjoy writing about Amelia making toast?
4. What do you think the three older boys in the ghost story are?
5. In what ways could 'Good Boys Deserve Favors' be considered a coming of age story?
6. Is there a 'bad guy' in the story 'A Study in Emerald'?
7. In the last story in 'Strange Little Girls,' two alternate stories are offered about a woman who lived during the war. Which one offers the happier ending?
8. In your opinion, what was Miss Finch's wish? Was it granted by the cabinet?
9. Why does the narrator see a Haitian coffee girl at the end of the story?
10. Describe the character of Miss Finch.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What kinds of fragile things can be found in the stories and poems in this collection? What do they symbolize or represent? Why are they fragile, and how has the author communicated this sense of fragility?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the author's use of metaphor and symbolism in two stories or poems of your choice from the collection.
Essay Topic 3
How many of the stories and poems in this collection are horror stories? Why do you consider them to be horror stories? How has the author used language, structure, pace, and symbolism to create a scary or creepy atmosphere? Are these conventional horror stories or something a bit different?
This section contains 1,927 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)