|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What bad habits does the detective warn the narrator that he has?
2. What do the two of them do?
3. Why does Inspector Lestrade visit them?
4. Why does the narrator's passenger ask him to go back to the hotel?
5. In 'Strange Little Girls' in the story 'Raining Blood,' what two options are given to the reader?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe how the detective solves the mystery in 'A Study in Emerald.'
2. Describe the character of the detective in 'A Study in Emerald.'
3. Why does the poet cast aside all his possessions and his old life in the poem 'Going Wodwo'?
4. Describe the character of Miss Finch.
5. Is Amelia a sympathetic character?
6. Why does Runt decide to go into the farmhouse at the end of October's story?
7. In the last story in 'Strange Little Girls,' two alternate stories are offered about a woman who lived during the war. Which one offers the happier ending?
8. In the poem 'The Hidden Chamber,' is there anything that is actually hidden?
9. Why does the narrator see a Haitian coffee girl at the end of the story?
10. Describe the things that happen to the character Amelia Earnshawe in 'Forbidden Brides...'
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author often uses storytelling with first person narrators to tell his stories and poems. In which stories and poems does he do this, and why? What effect does this create? How does it complement the story that is being told?
Essay Topic 2
What is the meaning of the playhouse in the story 'Closing Time?' Is it evil? Does it represent or symbolize anything?
Essay Topic 3
Do you enjoy Neil Gaiman's writing? Justify your answer by using examples from the text. Include in your discussion the author's use of language, meaning, characterization, symbolism, and metaphor. Use at least three stories and poems from this collection in your response.
This section contains 1,881 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)