|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 'The Day the Saucers Came' what happens after the saucers come?
(a) Zombies rise.
(b) The army arrive.
(c) A scientist tries to speak with them.
(d) The four horsemen ride.
2. What does the narrator make out of plasticine?
(a) His own face.
(b) A heart.
(c) A gargoyle.
(d) Becky's face.
3. With what does he baptize the model?
(c) His blood.
(d) His tears.
4. In the poem 'Instructions' what is it important to always trust?
(a) That the path will lead you home.
(c) The youngest princess.
(d) Your heart and your story.
5. What has next door's cat left on the professor's doormat?
(a) The head and paw of a mouse.
(b) Today's newspaper.
(c) A dead sparrow.
(d) Cat vomit.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Harlequin find himself at the end of the story?
2. What does Harlequin's costume look like?
3. What is the only sound left in the garden at the end of the story?
4. How does Harlequin refer to Missy?
5. What does Greta say makes her angry?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what ways is 'In The End' a reversal of the creation story in Genesis?
2. Are the boys at the party in any danger?
3. Why are the machines interested in the narrator?
4. Describe the character of Harlequin.
5. How does Missy get the better of Harlequin?
6. Why does Triolet say that she is a poem?
7. Why do you think Eddie Barrow lets himself be eaten in 'Feeders and Eaters'? Does he have a choice?
8. Why does the father in 'Locks' feel that we owe it to ourselves to tell each other stories?
9. What kind of beings are Wain's Wain and the second girl whom Enn talks to?
10. What is the 'problem of Susan'?
This section contains 2,280 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)