|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In 'Bitter Grounds' what is the narrator doing when he decides to just keep driving and run away from his old life?
(a) Going to his ex-girlfriend's house to beg her to take him back.
(b) Going to the store to bring back apples.
(c) Going to the gym.
(d) Going to work.
2. Why can the narrator not return to fairyland?
(a) He was thrown out and told never to return.
(b) He doesn't believe in fairies anymore.
(c) He is too old.
(d) He broke a fairy's heart.
3. What is the Swallows?
(a) A manor house.
(b) A playhouse.
(c) A den that the three boys built from tree branches.
(d) A river.
4. When the writer does try writing fantasy, what is Amelia doing now?
(a) Making toast.
(b) Flying a spaceship.
(c) Trying to kill the writer.
(d) Fighting orcs.
5. Why does Runt think he will be ok when he runs away from home?
(a) He plans to go find distant relatives and stay with them.
(b) He thinks the police will protect him if anyone tries to hurt him.
(c) He knows it will not be long before he is found and brought home, but wants to make a point.
(d) He has read fairy stories and knows that there are good people as well as monsters out there.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the narrator not understand the jokes the other boys tell?
2. What is the name of the club in the story 'Closing Time'?
3. What does the old man tell Amelia she will find in the house?
4. In October's story, who first nicknames the boy Runt, and why?
5. In 'Keepsakes and Treasures,' who admitted the narrator's mother into an insane asylum?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the last story in 'Strange Little Girls,' two alternate stories are offered about a woman who lived during the war. Which one offers the happier ending?
2. Why does the narrator see a Haitian coffee girl at the end of the story?
3. Describe the character of Miss Finch.
4. Is Amelia a sympathetic character?
5. What do the characters in 'Strange Little Girls' have in common?
6. How do the characteristics and personalities of the months in the story 'October in the Chair' reflect the different months of the year?
7. Describe how the detective solves the mystery in 'A Study in Emerald.'
8. In what ways could 'Good Boys Deserve Favors' be considered a coming of age story?
9. Describe the things that happen to the character Amelia Earnshawe in 'Forbidden Brides...'
10. Describe the character of the detective in 'A Study in Emerald.'
This section contains 1,978 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)