|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is trying to attack Amelia as she hides in the woodcutter's cottage?
(a) The writer.
(c) Lord Falconmere.
2. Why does the narrator's passenger ask him to go back to the hotel?
(a) He accidentally brought his room key with him.
(b) He is sick of his company.
(c) He forgot his wallet.
(d) He forgot his presentation notes for his paper.
3. Who comes for the narrator right at the end of the story?
(a) A zombie master.
(b) A Haitian coffee girl.
(c) The woman with the red ribbon in her hair.
4. When the writer does try writing fantasy, what is Amelia doing now?
(a) Trying to kill the writer.
(b) Making toast.
(c) Fighting orcs.
(d) Flying a spaceship.
5. What does June say before October's story begins?
(a) She doesn't like horror stories.
(b) She sometimes feels as if they are being watched.
(c) She would like to be in the chair next month.
(d) She thinks October should wait until last to tell his story.
6. What does the narrator talk to Miss Finch about in the refreshment room?
(a) The ethics of fish trawling.
(b) How terrible the circus is.
(c) Microbes and other harmful things that can be found in Sushi.
(d) Smilodons and other prehistoric creatures.
7. What happens to Miss Finch?
(a) She disappears right in front of them.
(b) She is killed by the Smilodons.
(c) She walks away into the mist.
(d) She joins the circus.
8. At a cafe, how does the narrator identify himself?
(a) As a zombie.
(b) As a nobody.
(c) As a professor.
(d) As a famous actor.
9. What does the old man tell them his father used the cages for?
(a) To lock up the dogs he used for hunting.
(b) To keep strange animals in.
(c) To lock up people who trespassed on the land.
(d) To lock up the boys when they were naughty.
10. What do the boys dare the narrator to do?
(a) Knock on the playhouse door.
(b) Look inside the window of the playhouse.
(c) Go inside the playhouse.
(d) Burn the playhouse down.
11. Why does Runt think he will be ok when he runs away from home?
(a) He knows it will not be long before he is found and brought home, but wants to make a point.
(b) He plans to go find distant relatives and stay with them.
(c) He thinks the police will protect him if anyone tries to hurt him.
(d) He has read fairy stories and knows that there are good people as well as monsters out there.
12. In 'Keepsakes and Treasures,' who admitted the narrator's mother into an insane asylum?
(a) The narrator.
(b) Her own father.
(c) Mr. Alice.
(d) Her own grandfather.
13. Who suddenly turns up in the young writer's house?
(a) His older brother who he thought was dead.
(b) A publisher who is interested in his book.
(c) His lost wife, who left him long ago.
(d) Amelia Earnshawe.
14. When they find a beautiful garden with a stream that looks like a fairy grotto, what does one of the boys do?
(a) He urinates in it.
(b) He throws rocks in it.
(c) He vandalizes it.
(d) He lies down and falls asleep.
15. What else do they want from her?
(a) A key to the treasure.
(b) Some bread rolls.
(c) A cup of tea.
(d) Her hand in marriage.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the boy in 'The Flints of Memory Lane' see that frightens him so much?
2. In 'The Hidden Chamber' what does the poet tell the reader not to be afraid of?
3. What bad habits does the detective warn the narrator that he has?
4. What is the name of the club in the story 'Closing Time'?
5. Whom does the narrator meet at a motel, and offer to give a ride to?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)