|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On what kind of beds did D. B. Dayton and his family sleep during D. B.'s childhood?
(a) Straw beds.
(b) They slept on the cabin floor without beds.
(c) Beds with cornshuck mattresses.
(d) Feather beds.
2. What did the house serve as during Mitch Anderson's youth?
(a) A school.
(b) A church.
(c) A general store.
(d) A gathering place for locals.
3. What fee did D. B. Dayton's father and D. B. himself have to pay to vote?
(a) A voting booth access fee.
(b) Cab fare to the poll.
(c) Poll taxes.
(d) Homeowner's taxes.
4. When did the Foxfire organization purchase the Rothell house as a restoration project?
(a) In 1983.
(b) In 2010.
(c) In 2000.
(d) In 1959.
5. What does Mitch Anderson recall there being in front of the Rothell cabin in his youth?
(a) A statue.
(b) A garden.
(c) A peony bush.
(d) A large maple tree.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Jennie Arrowood, how did a fiddler evade a panther after him?
2. What was a reason people interviewed in Foxfire 9 gave for panthers entering homes?
3. What kind of work did Jud do in the military?
4. Why did Henry Harrison Mayes set a goal to put signs on other planets?
5. With what Indian tribe did the county in which the Rothell house was originally built make treaties to obtain the land?
Short Essay Questions
1. What object was left at Charles Phillips' funeral and how did that object help commemorate Phillips' ministry?
2. What role did the Rothell house have in the lives of local teachers?
3. What tales arose in the Appalachian mountains over the years about rabid dogs?
4. How did a call to preach help Charles Phillips learn to read?
5. At what specific place did Charles Phillips feel led to pray and how did he use pebbles to record information about the people for whom he prayed?
6. What kind of work did D. B. Dayton do for the WPA during the Depression?
7. What tales arose over the years about panthers in the wild of the Appalachian mountains and how did dogs and horses help mountaineers escape panther attacks?
8. What happened to D. B. Dayton's mother to cripple her?
9. What unique ministry did Henry Harrison Mayes develop for bringing the word of God to others?
10. What kind of medical care did D. B. Dayton receive during his childhood?
This section contains 1,057 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)