|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What fruit did D. B. Dayton not know how to peel the first time he ate one?
(a) A peach.
(b) A banana.
(c) A nectarine.
(d) A papaya.
2. What helped people interviewed in Foxfire 9 escape panthers when they were being pursued by these wild animals?
(a) They outran the panthers.
(b) Their hunting dogs or the rearing of their horses.
(c) They would make loud noises to scare the panthers away.
(d) They would enter a stream since panthers don't like water.
3. What job did D. B. Dayton and his family have at the Vogel Lumber Company?
(a) Saw operating.
(b) Lumber stacking.
(c) Selling the lumber.
(d) Fire watching to make sure no fires burned the rail fences.
4. What kind of shoes did D. B. Dayton wear in the summer as a child?
(c) None, he went barefoot.
(d) Tennis shoes.
5. According to Ethel Corn, how did Octy Mcall scare away a panther she found sitting in her open cabin window?
(a) With fire.
(b) With a pan of boiling water.
(c) By screaming loudly and banging her pots and pans.
(d) By throwing a knife at the panther.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Ruth Holcomb, how long did people in her youth think it would take a person to go mad after being bitten by a rabid dog?
2. What did Henry Harrison Mayes set as his goal?
3. What did the house serve as during Mitch Anderson's youth?
4. What changes were made to the upstairs of the Rothell house?
5. Of what material was the building that housed Jud's business made?
Short Essay Questions
1. What object was left at Charles Phillips' funeral and how did that object help commemorate Phillips' ministry?
2. What was a madstone and how was it used to treat rabies?
3. How did the Foxfire organization get the Rothell cabin from its original location to Mountain City and why did the organization not complete its restoration of the cabin?
4. What tales arose over the years about panthers in the wild of the Appalachian mountains and how did dogs and horses help mountaineers escape panther attacks?
5. At what specific place did Charles Phillips feel led to pray and how did he use pebbles to record information about the people for whom he prayed?
6. What home remedies were used in Jud Nelson's youth to ward off the flu?
7. What kind of medical care did D. B. Dayton receive during his childhood?
8. How did Jud Nelson's Uncle John once teach another blacksmith that blacksmiths have to pay attention to what they're doing?
9. Why did Henry Harrison Mayes once attend a strip show and what consequences arose because of his going to the show?
10. What changes did the Rothell family make to the upstairs of their home during Mitch Anderson's youth and why did they make those changes?
This section contains 1,132 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)