|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was Jud Nelson born?
(a) In 1900.
(b) In 1913.
(c) In 1890.
(d) In 1800.
2. What work did Jud's wife Jenny do before she married?
(a) She was a schoolteacher.
(b) She was a musician.
(c) She was a cook.
(d) She was a nurse.
3. What were panthers sometimes called in the mountains of Appalachia?
4. When did the Rothell house get electricity installed?
(a) After Mitch Anderson got home from World War II.
(b) In 1980.
(c) During the Depression.
(d) In 1953.
5. What home remedies did D. B. Dayton's family use for illnesses?
(a) Sulfur, molasses, and alum.
(b) Chamomile tea and ginseng.
(c) Turpentine, castor oil, salts, and soot.
(d) Honey and dandelion greens.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was a madstone?
2. How much money have Henry Harrison Mayes and his wife put into his signs?
3. What changes were made to the upstairs of the Rothell house?
4. How did the Foxfire organization document the rebuilding of the house?
5. What does Mitch Anderson recall there being in front of the Rothell cabin in his youth?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of medical care did D. B. Dayton receive during his childhood?
2. How did Jud Nelson's Uncle John once teach another blacksmith that blacksmiths have to pay attention to what they're doing?
3. What happened to D. B. Dayton's mother to cripple her?
4. How did Jud Nelson get started in the blacksmithing business?
5. What tales arose over the years about panthers in the wild of the Appalachian mountains and how did dogs and horses help mountaineers escape panther attacks?
6. What were some mountain superstitions reported in the chapter entitled "Haint Tales and Other Scary Stories" in Foxfire 9?
7. At what specific place did Charles Phillips feel led to pray and how did he use pebbles to record information about the people for whom he prayed?
8. What tales arose in the Appalachian mountains over the years about rabid dogs?
9. What kind of work did D. B. Dayton do on the family farm as a child?
10. What changes did the Rothell family make to the upstairs of their home during Mitch Anderson's youth and why did they make those changes?
This section contains 1,029 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)