|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What information did quilters traditionally embroider on their quilt squares when making a friendship quilt?
(a) The name of the recipient of the quilt.
(b) Their name and perhaps the date.
(c) Good wishes for the recipient of the quilt.
(d) The name and birthdate of the recipient of the quilt.
2. When did Nola Campbell learn how to make pottery?
(a) At age fifty.
(b) At age thirty.
(c) At age thirteen.
(d) At age twenty.
3. When Foxfire 9 was published, how many years had the Foxfire organization been in the Rabun County schools?
4. What remedy was used in the mountains for constipation?
(a) Chamomile tea.
(c) Butcher's bloom tea.
(d) Castor oil.
5. When was Flora taught was the best time to gather honeysuckle vines?
(a) In the winter.
(b) At night.
(c) At daybreak.
(d) In the spring.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the general store the Moore family established?
2. What Christmas gifts did Nola Campbell receive as a child?
3. What did Captain Irish Bill Moore and his wife Hattie often have to battle?
4. What kind of glaze did Nola Campbell learn to put on her pottery?
5. What materials were used by Aunt Arie Carpenter in the making of most of her quilts?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe some of the quilt patterns mentioned in Foxfire 9.
2. What domestic tasks did Flora Youngblood learn to do from her mother?
3. What goods were sold at the Fort Hembree store operated by the Moore family and what do the ledgers of the store from the 1840s reveal about the shopping habits of the era?
4. How did Ed and Martha Roane help their customers get through the depression?
5. How have fictional stories treated foxfire and other glowing plants?
6. What were some of the Indian superstitions Nola Campbell encountered on the Catawba reservation?
7. What does foxfire feel like and where are the best places to find it?
8. What was the difference between a summer quilt and a winter quilt?
9. What are some of the home remedies that Flora Youngblood's father, Henry, used?
10. Why did Nola Campbell spend part of her childhood on the Catawba Indian reservation?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)