|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Flora's family get their clothing?
(a) Her father bought it from a catalog.
(b) Their mother bought it at the general store.
(c) Her mother sewed it.
(d) They got hand me downs from relatives.
2. What did Flora learn to boil honeysuckle vines with to remove the bark?
(a) Washing powder.
(d) Baking soda.
3. What disease did Flora Youngblood cure by saying a Bible verse and blowing in the mouth of the afflicted for three days in a row?
4. In the section of Foxfire 9 entitled "The General Store," how did the illiterate general store owner keep track of outstanding debts owed to him for items his customers had purchased on credit?
(a) He relied on his memory.
(b) He trusted his customers to remember how much they owed.
(c) He drew pictures of the items purchased.
(d) He hired a clerk who could read and write to track his debts.
5. What was the name of the general store the Moore family established?
(a) The Fort Hembree store.
(b) The Moore Grocery Store.
(c) Moore's General Store.
(d) The Rabun Gap General Store.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Nola Campbell's sister cut off Nola's toe during their childhood, what did their mother use on the wound?
2. What did Captain Irish Bill Moore and his wife Hattie often have to battle?
3. What oral history play was published by Foxfire Press?
4. What happened to Dr. Brabson's feet after long medical trips in cold weather?
5. How did many of the Moore's customers pay their bills at the general store?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Roy Roberts build a kiln and how did the business that resulted from the building of his kiln fare?
2. Describe the education Flora Youngblood received as a child.
3. What goods were sold at the Fort Hembree store operated by the Moore family and what do the ledgers of the store from the 1840s reveal about the shopping habits of the era?
4. From whom did Nola Campbell learn to make pottery?
5. Describe some of the quilt patterns mentioned in Foxfire 9.
6. In what way was quilting a social event for mountain women?
7. Why did Nola Campbell spend part of her childhood on the Catawba Indian reservation?
8. What kinds of books have been printed by Foxfire Press and what kinds of books does Foxfire Press plan to print in the future?
9. What racial prejudice did Nola Campbell experience in her life?
10. What domestic tasks did Flora Youngblood learn to do from her mother?
This section contains 1,049 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)