|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How were the topics to be featured in the new series of books from Foxfire Press determined?
(a) By running a contest on the Internet.
(b) By distributing a questionnaire to the magazine subscribers.
(c) By letting the people interviewed vote on the topics.
(d) By picking topics at random.
2. When Foxfire 9 was published, how many years had the Foxfire organization been in the Rabun County schools?
3. What was the last Foxfire book to be published under the contract with the New York Publisher?
(a) Foxfire 9.
(b) Foxfire 20.
(c) Foxfire 15.
(d) Foxfire 10.
4. Why did Nola Campbell's mother move the family off the reservation when Nola's father died?
(a) To be near her parents and siblings.
(b) To send the children to a new school.
(c) To attend college.
(d) To work on a nearby farm.
5. In the section of Foxfire 9 entitled "The General Store," how did the illiterate general store owner keep track of outstanding debts owed to him for items his customers had purchased on credit?
(a) He relied on his memory.
(b) He drew pictures of the items purchased.
(c) He hired a clerk who could read and write to track his debts.
(d) He trusted his customers to remember how much they owed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following was not an ingredient in the home remedies listed in Foxfire 9?
2. When was the general store operated by Ed and Martha Roane opened?
3. What religion was Nola Campbell's family?
4. How old was Flora when she got married?
5. When was the fishtail pattern quilt donated to Foxfire by Aunt Arie Carpenter made?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was a crazy quilt?
2. How did quilts illustrate the self-reliance and ingenuity of Appalachian women?
3. Describe some of the quilt patterns mentioned in Foxfire 9.
4. Explain what foxfire is and what makes it glow.
5. How did Bob McCall keep track of his customers' credit purchases in his general store when he couldn't read or write?
6. What goods were sold at the Fort Hembree store operated by the Moore family and what do the ledgers of the store from the 1840s reveal about the shopping habits of the era?
7. What troubles did Irish Bill Moore have with roughriders after the Civil War?
8. What reasons did Elliot Wigginton give in the Introduction for bringing the Foxfire series to an end with Foxfire 9?
9. What was Nola Campbell's childhood like?
10. In what way was quilting a social event for mountain women?
This section contains 1,148 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)