|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the Wilsons get churns to sell?
2. What types of items do the Wilsons import from Taiwan and resell?
3. What does Burlon Craig use in his glazes to keep them from running?
4. Which of the following is not a good reason to choose a hen or rooster for breeding?
5. When do chicken breeders trim or cut the combs of their roosters?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Norman Smith's emphysema?
2. Why do game chicken breeders sometimes refuse to sell their best chickens, even if they could profit substantially from the sale?
3. What are some fairs and festivals at which Burlon Craig demonstrated his pottery making?
4. How does Louis Brown say that trains can affect pottery?
5. How do chicken breeds differ from one another?
6. What kinds of wares did Burlon Craig make when he first started making pottery and what kind of wares does he produce today?
7. Why do the Wilsons begin importing and reselling merchandise and what kinds of items do they import and resell?
8. Why do game chickens receive such excellent care from their owners in terms of food and veterinary care?
9. How did cold weather affect pottery making in the early 1900's?
10. Why do owners of game chickens remove their roosters' combs prior to the first birthday?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the depiction of women in "Foxfire 8." Are women in positions of leadership? What characteristics and roles are ascribed to women in the Appalachian mountain community? Do the men in the mountains treat the women as equals or do they try to dominate them? Cite at least three examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how the "Foxfire" has changed and grown over the years since its inception as a high school magazine in 1966. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the different strategies of breeding and raising chickens given in "Foxfire 8." Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 921 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)