|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Harvey's ancestors was a slave?
2. What is Arie Meaders' educational level?
3. What does Bruce Mosley think will help racial relations?
4. How long does it typically take to fire pottery in a kiln?
5. What was the Tutt family supposed to put on their cotton plants to kill boll weevils?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Arie Meaders' mother cooked.
2. How has Anna Tutt seen white people treat black people during her life?
3. Explain what a pug mill or mud mill is.
4. Explain the history of Foxfire.
5. Why does the Mountain City community not want to draw more tourists into their town?
6. What features do Eliot Wigginton's favorite small towns have in common?
7. What famous couple does Arie Meaders think once purchased her pottery?
8. Explain the surprise Harley Penland received during World War I.
9. What did Bruce Mosley's grandmother tell him about slavery and the Yankees?
10. Describe the funding issues the Mountain City project faces.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the history of the sport of cockfighting and why you think it will or will not continue to be a sport in Southern Appalachia. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the different strategies of breeding and raising chickens given in "Foxfire 8." Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how the "Foxfire" has changed and grown over the years since its inception as a high school magazine in 1966. Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 975 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)