|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why don't Mountain City residents want to build something that would draw increased tourists to their community?
2. What organization gave Foxfire a grant that allowed the organization to hire a person to coordinate the development of manuscripts for Foxfire Press for one year?
3. What was the first "Foxfire" publishing project?
4. What is the population of the county seat?
5. For what did Cheever Meaders use iron lifters?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Bruce Mosley's grandmother tell him about slavery and the Yankees?
2. How does Eliot Wigginton think the widening of the highway will affect the town of Mountain City?
3. Describe Arie Meaders' schooling in 1912.
4. What is Foxfire's mission?
5. Explain why Cheever Meaders did not use a glaze on his flowerpots but did use one on his other ware.
6. What kind of education did Viola Lenoir's grandparents have?
7. What folk remedies did Arie Meaders' family use during her childhood?
8. What changes has Anna Tutt noticed in children and families during her life?
9. How did slavery and being black affect Harley Penland's education?
10. Why does the Mountain City community not want to draw more tourists into their town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how pottery making in the Appalachian mountains and the demand for pottery products has changed from the nineteenth century to the present day. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the depiction of women in "Foxfire 8." Are women in positions of leadership? What characteristics and roles are ascribed to women in the Appalachian mountain community? Do the men in the mountains treat the women as equals or do they try to dominate them? Cite at least three examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
The people of Mountain City do not want to draw tourists to their community. Discuss the pros and cons of drawing tourists to the region and the reasons the people in the town do not want to increase their tourist trade. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)