|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what material was the Mountain City town water fountain made?
2. For what did Carrie Stewart earn an award?
3. What did Carrie Stewart eat for breakfast as a child?
4. In the 1930's in Mountain City, which of the following was not a local product shipped out of town to markets?
5. What did Anna Tutt's grandmother do for a living?
Short Essay Questions
1. What aspects of chicken fighting do you think animal human societies might protest?
2. How did cold weather affect pottery making in the early 1900's?
3. Discuss Burlon Craig's collection of pottery and the increasing value of antique pottery.
4. What famous couple does Arie Meaders think once purchased her pottery?
5. Explain how the Hewells turn out quality pottery in less time for less cost.
6. Explain the difference between a derby and a tournament in the sport of cockfighting.
7. Describe Arie Meaders' schooling in 1912.
8. Describe the unique drying system the Wilsons create.
9. How has Anna Tutt seen white people treat black people during her life?
10. How has the Foxfire organization worked with the community in planning their Mountain City project?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the pottery and the pottery making techniques of the three production potter families, including the the Wilsons, the Hewells, and the Browns. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the depiction of racial segregation and racial prejudice in "Foxfire 8." Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the subject of religion in "Foxfire 8." How important does religion seem to Appalachian families? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,648 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)