|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the title of the book published by Foxfire Press during the period covered by the grant?
2. When was Arie Meaders born?
3. How did the Foxfire organization involve the community in their plans for the Mountain City project?
4. What shape kiln is common in the South?
5. What famous couple does Arie Meaders believe once visited and bought pottery from her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How has Anna Tutt seen white people treat black people during her life?
2. What did Bruce Mosley's grandmother tell him about slavery and the Yankees?
3. What kind of education did Viola Lenoir's grandparents have?
4. Describe the funding issues the Mountain City project faces.
5. How did slavery and being black affect Harley Penland's education?
6. How did a white schoolteacher help Viola Lenoir's family when Viola was young?
7. How has the Foxfire organization worked with the community in planning their Mountain City project?
8. What features do Eliot Wigginton's favorite small towns have in common?
9. What kinds of things do Mountain City residents say they want in their community?
10. How does Bruce Mosley feel about racial discrimination today?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast raising and breeding mules to chickens. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the unique regional characteristics that Appalachian pottery making and Appalachian pottery have developed over the years even though pottery making is not native to Appalachia. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
The people of Mountain City do not want to draw tourists to their community. Discuss the pros and cons of drawing tourists to the region and the reasons the people in the town do not want to increase their tourist trade. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 947 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)