|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What types of pottery did Cheever Meaders prefer to make?
2. For what did Cheever Meaders use iron lifters?
3. What was the educational level of Viola Lenoir's mother?
4. What benefit did Cheever Meaders derive from making his favorite types of pottery?
5. What is the ethnic heritage of Viola Lenoir's grandmothers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss some of the glazes that Cheever Meaders used.
2. What changes has Anna Tutt noticed in children and families during her life?
3. How does Bruce Mosley feel about racial discrimination today?
4. Explain the history of Foxfire.
5. What are some misconceptions about folk pottery that John Burrison discusses?
6. Describe Arie Meaders' schooling in 1912.
7. What kinds of things do Mountain City residents say they want in their community?
8. Describe the funding issues the Mountain City project faces.
9. How did a white schoolteacher help Viola Lenoir's family when Viola was young?
10. What kind of education did Viola Lenoir's grandparents have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of self-reliance or self-sufficiency in "Foxfire 8." How is this theme illustrated in the handicrafts and other aspects of Appalachian life described in the book? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the pottery and the pottery making techniques of the three production potter families, including the the Wilsons, the Hewells, and the Browns. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the concept of family in "Foxfire 8." How important is family in a rural community? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)