|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following statements is true?
2. What tool did Cheever Meaders use to break apart his lumps of clay and mix them into a smooth, even consistency?
3. Why did Bruce Mosley's grandmother have to raise him?
4. What was the first "Foxfire" publishing project?
5. What example of racial prejudice did Anna Tutt witness as a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss some of the glazes that Cheever Meaders used.
2. What did Bruce Mosley's grandmother tell him about slavery and the Yankees?
3. What kind of education did Viola Lenoir's grandparents have?
4. What famous couple does Arie Meaders think once purchased her pottery?
5. What role do Rabun Gap High School students play in "Foxfire" projects?
6. What role has religion played in Carrie Stewart's life?
7. Explain how Arie Meaders' mother cooked.
8. How does Eliot Wigginton think the widening of the highway will affect the town of Mountain City?
9. Why does the Mountain City community not want to draw more tourists into their town?
10. How did slavery and being black affect Harley Penland's education?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss mountain folk medicine and the home remedies mentioned in "Foxfire 8." Who usually treats the sick, a physician or a family member? Where did the Appalachians get the ingredients for their home remedies? What do Appalachian home remedies show about Appalachian culture and Appalachian life? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of self-reliance or self-sufficiency in "Foxfire 8." How is this theme illustrated in the handicrafts and other aspects of Appalachian life described in the book? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the unique regional characteristics that Appalachian pottery making and Appalachian pottery have developed over the years even though pottery making is not native to Appalachia. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,018 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)