Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the population of the county seat?
2. Whose death made Anna Tutt's childhood even more difficult?
3. What benefit did Cheever Meaders derive from making his favorite types of pottery?
4. Why didn't Harvey Penland's father value education and encourage Harvey to pursue his education?
5. Which of Harvey's ancestors was a slave?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did a white schoolteacher help Viola Lenoir's family when Viola was young?
2. How do chicken breeds differ from one another?
3. Why did the Brown family business increase during World War II?
4. How does Mountain City today differ from how it appeared in the early 1900's?
5. What kind of education did Viola Lenoir's grandparents have?
6. What role has religion played in Carrie Stewart's life?
7. Describe the funding issues the Mountain City project faces.
8. Why did the Foxfire staff want to interview Burlon Craig?
9. Discuss some of the glazes that Cheever Meaders used.
10. Describe Arie Meaders' schooling in 1912.
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast raising and breeding mules to chickens. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the depiction of women in "Foxfire 8." Are women in positions of leadership? What characteristics and roles are ascribed to women in the Appalachian mountain community? Do the men in the mountains treat the women as equals or do they try to dominate them? Cite at least three examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the history of the sport of cockfighting and why you think it will or will not continue to be a sport in Southern Appalachia. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)