|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Anna Tutt's marital state?
2. What is the name of the county seat of Eliot Wigginton's county?
3. In the 1930's in Mountain City, what fruit was grown locally, sorted and boxed at a packing house near the depot?
4. How old is Carrie Stewart?
5. Who is the founder of the Foxfire organization?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Eliot Wigginton think the widening of the highway will affect the town of Mountain City?
2. How does Bruce Mosley feel about racial discrimination today?
3. Discuss some of the glazes that Cheever Meaders used.
4. Describe Arie Meaders' schooling in 1912.
5. How did a white schoolteacher help Viola Lenoir's family when Viola was young?
6. Why do owners of game chickens remove their roosters' combs prior to the first birthday?
7. What is Foxfire's mission?
8. Explain how the Hewells turn out quality pottery in less time for less cost.
9. How does Irene Smith typify the wife of an Appalachian folk potter?
10. Describe the unique drying system the Wilsons create.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the depiction of women in "Foxfire 8." Are women in positions of leadership? What characteristics and roles are ascribed to women in the Appalachian mountain community? Do the men in the mountains treat the women as equals or do they try to dominate them? Cite at least three examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss what occurs during a chicken fight, including betting on the fight. What role does local law enforcement play in chicken fighting? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
The people of Mountain City do not want to draw tourists to their community. Discuss the pros and cons of drawing tourists to the region and the reasons the people in the town do not want to increase their tourist trade. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,473 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)