|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Bruce Mosley think will help racial relations?
2. In what year was Bruce Mosley born?
3. What shape kiln is common in the South?
4. Why do most people pursue folk pottery?
5. Whose death made Anna Tutt's childhood even more difficult?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mountain City today differ from how it appeared in the early 1900's?
2. What is Foxfire's mission?
3. Explain how Arie Meaders' mother cooked.
4. What did Bruce Mosley's grandmother tell him about slavery and the Yankees?
5. Discuss some of the glazes that Cheever Meaders used.
6. How has the Foxfire organization worked with the community in planning their Mountain City project?
7. Explain why Cheever Meaders did not use a glaze on his flowerpots but did use one on his other ware.
8. What kinds of things do Mountain City residents say they want in their community?
9. How does Eliot Wigginton think the widening of the highway will affect the town of Mountain City?
10. What folk remedies did Arie Meaders' family use during her childhood?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the concept of family in "Foxfire 8." How important is family in a rural community? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss mountain folk medicine and the home remedies mentioned in "Foxfire 8." Who usually treats the sick, a physician or a family member? Where did the Appalachians get the ingredients for their home remedies? What do Appalachian home remedies show about Appalachian culture and Appalachian life? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the unique regional characteristics that Appalachian pottery making and Appalachian pottery have developed over the years even though pottery making is not native to Appalachia. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)