|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is not something the Mountain City community told Foxfire it wants for their town?
2. What benefit did Cheever Meaders derive from making his favorite types of pottery?
3. Which of the following statements is true?
4. Whose death made Anna Tutt's childhood even more difficult?
5. What famous couple does Arie Meaders believe once visited and bought pottery from her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Arie Meaders' schooling in 1912.
2. Explain why Cheever Meaders did not use a glaze on his flowerpots but did use one on his other ware.
3. What kind of education did Viola Lenoir's grandparents have?
4. What are some misconceptions about folk pottery that John Burrison discusses?
5. What did Bruce Mosley's grandmother tell him about slavery and the Yankees?
6. Discuss some of the glazes that Cheever Meaders used.
7. What role do Rabun Gap High School students play in "Foxfire" projects?
8. Explain how Arie Meaders' mother cooked.
9. What famous couple does Arie Meaders think once purchased her pottery?
10. Why does the Mountain City community not want to draw more tourists into their town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the concept of oral traditions and the passing down of cultural, agricultural, and artistic knowledge from one generation to the next as illustrated in "Foxfire 8." Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the subject of religion in "Foxfire 8." How important does religion seem to Appalachian families? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of self-reliance or self-sufficiency in "Foxfire 8." How is this theme illustrated in the handicrafts and other aspects of Appalachian life described in the book? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)