|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of factory is located in Mountain City in the present day?
2. What item does Eliot Wigginton not want to see on the menu of a diner in his community?
3. What did Anna Tutt's grandmother do for a living?
4. Who was the person hired to coordinate the development of manuscripts for Foxfire Press for one year?
5. What building in Mountain City 1930's has burned?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Arie Meaders' mother cooked.
2. What folk remedies did Arie Meaders' family use during her childhood?
3. What kinds of things do Mountain City residents say they want in their community?
4. Discuss some of the glazes that Cheever Meaders used.
5. How did a white schoolteacher help Viola Lenoir's family when Viola was young?
6. What training did Carrie Stewart engage in at the age of seventy-four?
7. Explain why Cheever Meaders did not use a glaze on his flowerpots but did use one on his other ware.
8. What is Foxfire's mission?
9. How does Eliot Wigginton think the widening of the highway will affect the town of Mountain City?
10. What kind of education did Viola Lenoir's grandparents have?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the legality of cockfighting and the arguments given in "Foxfire 8" in support of this sport that involves the death of the losing chickens. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the depiction of racial segregation and racial prejudice in "Foxfire 8." Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the depiction of women in "Foxfire 8." Are women in positions of leadership? What characteristics and roles are ascribed to women in the Appalachian mountain community? Do the men in the mountains treat the women as equals or do they try to dominate them? Cite at least three examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)