|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why don't Mountain City residents want to build something that would draw increased tourists to their community?
2. What is a groundhog kiln?
3. What was the educational level of Viola Lenoir's grandmothers?
4. Who is the founder of the Foxfire organization?
5. What was the profession of Viola Lenoir's mother?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Arie Meaders' mother cooked.
2. Describe the funding issues the Mountain City project faces.
3. Describe Arie Meaders' schooling in 1912.
4. Explain the surprise Harley Penland received during World War I.
5. Explain what a pug mill or mud mill is.
6. How does Eliot Wigginton think the widening of the highway will affect the town of Mountain City?
7. What kind of education did Viola Lenoir's grandparents have?
8. What kinds of things do Mountain City residents say they want in their community?
9. What did Bruce Mosley's grandmother tell him about slavery and the Yankees?
10. What famous couple does Arie Meaders think once purchased her pottery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the concept of oral traditions and the passing down of cultural, agricultural, and artistic knowledge from one generation to the next as illustrated in "Foxfire 8." Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the legality of cockfighting and the arguments given in "Foxfire 8" in support of this sport that involves the death of the losing chickens. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
The people of Mountain City do not want to draw tourists to their community. Discuss the pros and cons of drawing tourists to the region and the reasons the people in the town do not want to increase their tourist trade. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)