|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Viola Lenoir's educational level?
2. What was the Tutt family supposed to put on their cotton plants to kill boll weevils?
3. What tool did Cheever Meaders use to break apart his lumps of clay and mix them into a smooth, even consistency?
4. What kind of communities does Eliot Wigginton like?
5. What was the educational level of Viola Lenoir's grandmothers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what a pug mill or mud mill is.
2. Explain why Cheever Meaders did not use a glaze on his flowerpots but did use one on his other ware.
3. How does Bruce Mosley feel about racial discrimination today?
4. What training did Carrie Stewart engage in at the age of seventy-four?
5. What famous couple does Arie Meaders think once purchased her pottery?
6. What role has religion played in Carrie Stewart's life?
7. How did slavery and being black affect Harley Penland's education?
8. Discuss some of the glazes that Cheever Meaders used.
9. What are some misconceptions about folk pottery that John Burrison discusses?
10. Why does the Mountain City community not want to draw more tourists into their town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss what occurs during a chicken fight, including betting on the fight. What role does local law enforcement play in chicken fighting? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of self-reliance or self-sufficiency in "Foxfire 8." How is this theme illustrated in the handicrafts and other aspects of Appalachian life described in the book? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the depiction of education in "Foxfire 8." How educated are the majority of the interviewees? How literate are the majority of the interviewees? Is there a difference in the educational and literacy levels of the interviewees and their children and grandchildren? Why do you think the interviewees' families placed more emphasis on the learning of handicrafts and the raising of food than on book learning when the interviewees were young? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)