|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Tutt family grow on their farm?
2. What famous couple does Arie Meaders believe once visited and bought pottery from her?
3. What does Bruce Mosley think will help racial relations?
4. What is a groundhog kiln?
5. What major New York publisher gave the Foxfire organization a publishing contract for two books?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Eliot Wigginton think the widening of the highway will affect the town of Mountain City?
2. What folk remedies did Arie Meaders' family use during her childhood?
3. Explain the history of Foxfire.
4. How does Mountain City today differ from how it appeared in the early 1900's?
5. What famous couple does Arie Meaders think once purchased her pottery?
6. Discuss some of the glazes that Cheever Meaders used.
7. How has the Foxfire organization worked with the community in planning their Mountain City project?
8. How did a white schoolteacher help Viola Lenoir's family when Viola was young?
9. What role do Rabun Gap High School students play in "Foxfire" projects?
10. Describe Arie Meaders' schooling in 1912.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the concept of oral traditions and the passing down of cultural, agricultural, and artistic knowledge from one generation to the next as illustrated in "Foxfire 8." Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how pottery making in the Appalachian mountains and the demand for pottery products has changed from the nineteenth century to the present day. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of self-reliance or self-sufficiency in "Foxfire 8." How is this theme illustrated in the handicrafts and other aspects of Appalachian life described in the book? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,100 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)