|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of communities does Eliot Wigginton like?
2. In the 1930's in Mountain City, which of the following was not a local product shipped out of town to markets?
3. When Harvey Penland was a child, how long was his school year?
4. In what state does Eliot Wigginton live and work?
5. What was the Tutt family supposed to put on their cotton plants to kill boll weevils?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did slavery and being black affect Harley Penland's education?
2. Describe Arie Meaders' schooling in 1912.
3. How does Bruce Mosley feel about racial discrimination today?
4. How has Anna Tutt seen white people treat black people during her life?
5. What folk remedies did Arie Meaders' family use during her childhood?
6. Explain the history of Foxfire.
7. Describe the funding issues the Mountain City project faces.
8. Explain the surprise Harley Penland received during World War I.
9. What did Bruce Mosley's grandmother tell him about slavery and the Yankees?
10. Why does the Mountain City community not want to draw more tourists into their town?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast raising and breeding mules to chickens. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the pottery and the pottery making techniques of the three production potter families, including the the Wilsons, the Hewells, and the Browns. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the different strategies of breeding and raising chickens given in "Foxfire 8." Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)