|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what area(s) did Viola Lenoir work?
2. What was the title of the book published by Foxfire Press during the period covered by the grant?
3. What was the first "Foxfire" publishing project?
4. What is the name of the county seat of Eliot Wigginton's county?
5. For what did Cheever Meaders use iron lifters?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of education did Viola Lenoir's grandparents have?
2. How does Eliot Wigginton think the widening of the highway will affect the town of Mountain City?
3. Discuss some of the glazes that Cheever Meaders used.
4. What features do Eliot Wigginton's favorite small towns have in common?
5. Why does the Mountain City community not want to draw more tourists into their town?
6. Explain why Cheever Meaders did not use a glaze on his flowerpots but did use one on his other ware.
7. How did slavery and being black affect Harley Penland's education?
8. Explain what a pug mill or mud mill is.
9. What folk remedies did Arie Meaders' family use during her childhood?
10. Explain the surprise Harley Penland received during World War I.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the ways of conditioning a rooster for cock-fighting. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the unique regional characteristics that Appalachian pottery making and Appalachian pottery have developed over the years even though pottery making is not native to Appalachia. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the depiction of education in "Foxfire 8." How educated are the majority of the interviewees? How literate are the majority of the interviewees? Is there a difference in the educational and literacy levels of the interviewees and their children and grandchildren? Why do you think the interviewees' families placed more emphasis on the learning of handicrafts and the raising of food than on book learning when the interviewees were young? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)