|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 1977, what property did the Foxfire organization purchase?
2. How did Arie Meaders' family cure thrush when she was a child?
3. Why didn't Harvey Penland's father value education and encourage Harvey to pursue his education?
4. In the 1930's in Mountain City, what fruit was grown locally, sorted and boxed at a packing house near the depot?
5. Why did Bruce Mosley's grandmother have to raise him?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Eliot Wigginton think the widening of the highway will affect the town of Mountain City?
2. What are some misconceptions about folk pottery that John Burrison discusses?
3. How has Anna Tutt seen white people treat black people during her life?
4. Explain the history of Foxfire.
5. How does Bruce Mosley feel about racial discrimination today?
6. Explain how Arie Meaders' mother cooked.
7. Why does the Mountain City community not want to draw more tourists into their town?
8. How does Mountain City today differ from how it appeared in the early 1900's?
9. What folk remedies did Arie Meaders' family use during her childhood?
10. What famous couple does Arie Meaders think once purchased her pottery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of self-reliance or self-sufficiency in "Foxfire 8." How is this theme illustrated in the handicrafts and other aspects of Appalachian life described in the book? Cite examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss mountain folk medicine and the home remedies mentioned in "Foxfire 8." Who usually treats the sick, a physician or a family member? Where did the Appalachians get the ingredients for their home remedies? What do Appalachian home remedies show about Appalachian culture and Appalachian life? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the history of the sport of cockfighting and why you think it will or will not continue to be a sport in Southern Appalachia. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,096 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)