Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the population of the county seat?
2. Whose death made Anna Tutt's childhood even more difficult?
3. What benefit did Cheever Meaders derive from making his favorite types of pottery?
4. Why didn't Harvey Penland's father value education and encourage Harvey to pursue his education?
5. Which of Harvey's ancestors was a slave?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did a white schoolteacher help Viola Lenoir's family when Viola was young?
2. How do chicken breeds differ from one another?
3. Why did the Brown family business increase during World War II?
4. How does Mountain City today differ from how it appeared in the early 1900's?
5. What kind of education did Viola Lenoir's grandparents have?
6. What role has religion played in Carrie Stewart's life?
7. Describe the funding issues the Mountain City project faces.
8. Why did the Foxfire staff want to interview Burlon Craig?
9. Discuss some of the glazes that Cheever Meaders used.
10. Describe Arie Meaders' schooling in 1912.
Compare and contrast the pottery and the pottery making techniques of the three production potter families, including the the Wilsons, the Hewells, and the Browns. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Compare and contrast the ways of conditioning a rooster for cock-fighting. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Discuss how pottery making in the Appalachian mountains and the demand for pottery products has changed from the nineteenth century to the present day. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)