|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the population of the county seat?
2. What is a groundhog kiln?
3. In what state does Eliot Wigginton live and work?
4. What major New York publisher gave the Foxfire organization a publishing contract for two books?
5. Whose death made Anna Tutt's childhood even more difficult?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Arie Meaders' mother cooked.
2. What did Bruce Mosley's grandmother tell him about slavery and the Yankees?
3. How does Mountain City today differ from how it appeared in the early 1900's?
4. How did slavery and being black affect Harley Penland's education?
5. What training did Carrie Stewart engage in at the age of seventy-four?
6. How does Eliot Wigginton think the widening of the highway will affect the town of Mountain City?
7. How did a white schoolteacher help Viola Lenoir's family when Viola was young?
8. Explain the history of Foxfire.
9. What kind of education did Viola Lenoir's grandparents have?
10. What features do Eliot Wigginton's favorite small towns have in common?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the unique regional characteristics that Appalachian pottery making and Appalachian pottery have developed over the years even though pottery making is not native to Appalachia. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the legality of cockfighting and the arguments given in "Foxfire 8" in support of this sport that involves the death of the losing chickens. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss mountain folk medicine and the home remedies mentioned in "Foxfire 8." Who usually treats the sick, a physician or a family member? Where did the Appalachians get the ingredients for their home remedies? What do Appalachian home remedies show about Appalachian culture and Appalachian life? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 978 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)