|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What product does Foxfire make and market to its magazine subscribers through their blacksmith program for local high school students?
2. Which season of the year is not good for making pottery?
3. For what were Sundays reserved during Carrie Stewart's childhood?
4. When did the Meaders family start their pottery operations in White County?
5. What types of pottery did Cheever Meaders prefer to make?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Cheever Meaders did not use a glaze on his flowerpots but did use one on his other ware.
2. What training did Carrie Stewart engage in at the age of seventy-four?
3. How does Bruce Mosley feel about racial discrimination today?
4. How does Eliot Wigginton think the widening of the highway will affect the town of Mountain City?
5. Describe the funding issues the Mountain City project faces.
6. What role has religion played in Carrie Stewart's life?
7. What features do Eliot Wigginton's favorite small towns have in common?
8. Explain the history of Foxfire.
9. Describe Arie Meaders' schooling in 1912.
10. Explain the surprise Harley Penland received during World War I.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The people of Mountain City do not want to draw tourists to their community. Discuss the pros and cons of drawing tourists to the region and the reasons the people in the town do not want to increase their tourist trade. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the legality of cockfighting and the arguments given in "Foxfire 8" in support of this sport that involves the death of the losing chickens. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss mountain folk medicine and the home remedies mentioned in "Foxfire 8." Who usually treats the sick, a physician or a family member? Where did the Appalachians get the ingredients for their home remedies? What do Appalachian home remedies show about Appalachian culture and Appalachian life? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)