|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of communities does Eliot Wigginton like?
2. When Arie Meaders' retired from pottery, what activity did she start doing?
3. When did the Meaders family start their pottery operations in White County?
4. What shape kiln is common in the South?
5. What item does Eliot Wigginton not want to see on the menu of a diner in his community?
Short Essay Questions
1. What changes has Anna Tutt noticed in children and families during her life?
2. How does Bruce Mosley feel about racial discrimination today?
3. Explain how Arie Meaders' mother cooked.
4. Discuss some of the glazes that Cheever Meaders used.
5. What training did Carrie Stewart engage in at the age of seventy-four?
6. How has the Foxfire organization worked with the community in planning their Mountain City project?
7. Explain the history of Foxfire.
8. How did slavery and being black affect Harley Penland's education?
9. Why does the Mountain City community not want to draw more tourists into their town?
10. What features do Eliot Wigginton's favorite small towns have in common?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss how pottery making in the Appalachian mountains and the demand for pottery products has changed from the nineteenth century to the present day. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
The people of Mountain City do not want to draw tourists to their community. Discuss the pros and cons of drawing tourists to the region and the reasons the people in the town do not want to increase their tourist trade. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the concept of family in "Foxfire 8." How important is family in a rural community? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)