|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following states describes the drying system that the Wilsons invented?
(a) Kiln heat flows through pipes to the pottery drying room.
(b) Solar heat dries the pots in an indoor setting.
(c) Lunar heat dries the pots in an outdoor setting.
(d) A coal fire dries the pots.
2. Where do Burlon and Irene Craig live?
(a) Harrison, Virginia.
(b) Rabun Gap, Georgia.
(c) Catawba Valley in North Carolina.
(d) Corbin, Kentucky.
3. What is a cockfighting tournament?
(a) A derby that lasts all weekend.
(b) A fight with hundreds of participants.
(c) A fight with chickens who have won at least two other fights.
(d) A fight in which roosters battle until one dies.
4. What method of beating the clay does Chester Wilson prefer?
(a) A water-powered milll.
(b) A hammer mill.
(c) Hand mixing.
(d) A pug mill.
5. What ingredient in clay makes the pottery turn red during the firing process?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do chickens fight?
2. What is the only ingredient that Louis Brown has to add to his clay?
3. With how many chickens should someone wanting to breed game chickens start?
4. How old was Burlon Craig when he was first offered a share in a pottery business?
5. What are buggy jars?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kinds of wares did Burlon Craig make when he first started making pottery and what kind of wares does he produce today?
2. Since they don't advertise their business, how do the Browns get customers for their pottery?
3. What are some fairs and festivals at which Burlon Craig demonstrated his pottery making?
4. Why did the Foxfire staff want to interview Burlon Craig?
5. Explain the history of the sport of cockfighting.
6. Describe the new kiln Louis Brown has built.
7. Why do owners of game chickens remove their roosters' combs prior to the first birthday?
8. What causes Norman Smith's emphysema?
9. Describe the unique drying system the Wilsons create.
10. Why did the Brown family business increase during World War II?
This section contains 882 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)