|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Burlon and Irene Craig live?
(a) Harrison, Virginia.
(b) Catawba Valley in North Carolina.
(c) Rabun Gap, Georgia.
(d) Corbin, Kentucky.
2. When should game chickens be fed soft foods like oats rather than hard foods like corn?
(a) When they have bad teeth and need dental care.
(b) When they're injured and may have bruised intestines.
(c) When they have done well and deserve a treat.
(d) When they are to be used for breeding.
3. When Louis Brown used an oil-burning kiln, how much oil did it take to burn a single load in the kiln?
(a) Three quarts.
(b) Two hundred fifty to three hundred gallons.
(c) One hundred gallons.
(d) A thousand gallons.
4. What method of beating the clay does Chester Wilson prefer?
(a) A pug mill.
(b) Hand mixing.
(c) A hammer mill.
(d) A water-powered milll.
5. What type of kiln did Louis Brown use when he started making pottery in the 1920's and 1930's?
(a) A round kiln.
(b) A solar-powered kiln.
(c) An octagonal kiln.
(d) A groundhog kiln.
Short Answer Questions
1. What product did the Brown family start making during the Depression?
2. What is a cockfighting tournament?
3. Which of the following statements is not true about a cockfighting derby?
4. How many clays do the Wilsons use in their work?
5. Which of the following is a foreign country mentioned in "Foxfire 8" as a country in which cockfighting is practiced?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Irene Smith typify the wife of an Appalachian folk potter?
2. Why did the Brown family business increase during World War II?
3. Explain the history of the sport of cockfighting.
4. What are some fairs and festivals at which Burlon Craig demonstrated his pottery making?
5. Since they don't advertise their business, how do the Browns get customers for their pottery?
6. Explain the difference between a derby and a tournament in the sport of cockfighting.
7. Discuss Burlon Craig's collection of pottery and the increasing value of antique pottery.
8. Why do game chickens receive such excellent care from their owners in terms of food and veterinary care?
9. Why did the Foxfire staff want to interview Burlon Craig?
10. Explain how the Hewells turn out quality pottery in less time for less cost.
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)