|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What rule is there in cockfighting for running chickens?
(a) Running chickens are put back into the pit to fight more.
(b) A running chicken can't win.
(c) Running chickens are made to enter a chicken race.
(d) A running chicken is sold for breeding.
2. Which of the following is a foreign country mentioned in "Foxfire 8" as a country in which cockfighting is practiced?
(a) El Salvador.
(d) The Philippines.
3. What is the only kind of pottery Chester Wilson can't turn?
(a) Face jugs.
(b) Monkey jugs.
4. What does the clear gaze that Burlon Craig uses on his swirl pottery contain?
(d) Ash, glass, and kaolin.
5. When should game chickens be fed soft foods like oats rather than hard foods like corn?
(a) When they are to be used for breeding.
(b) When they have bad teeth and need dental care.
(c) When they're injured and may have bruised intestines.
(d) When they have done well and deserve a treat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Burlon and Irene Craig live?
2. At the beginning of a chicken fight, what is done first?
3. What does Burlon Craig use in his glazes to keep them from running?
4. What kind of mill does Norman Smith use to mix his clay?
5. Which member of the Brown family grinds the clay?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the Brown family business increase during World War II?
2. What kinds of wares did Burlon Craig make when he first started making pottery and what kind of wares does he produce today?
3. Since they don't advertise their business, how do the Browns get customers for their pottery?
4. How do chicken breeds differ from one another?
5. Why did the Foxfire staff want to interview Burlon Craig?
6. What are some fairs and festivals at which Burlon Craig demonstrated his pottery making?
7. Why do owners of game chickens remove their roosters' combs prior to the first birthday?
8. What causes Norman Smith's emphysema?
9. Why do game chicken breeders sometimes refuse to sell their best chickens, even if they could profit substantially from the sale?
10. Why does Clyde Gibson believe that it's up to the local sheriff of a community to decide if a cock fight can occur?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)