|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Burlon Craig collect?
(a) Antique swords.
(c) Model trains.
2. How many coffee mugs can Charlie Brown make per hour?
3. Why are fighting chickens allowed to peck at each other while still held by their handlers?
(a) They will kill each other too soon if released.
(b) To start the fight slowly and build intensity for entertainment.
(c) To get them angry.
(d) To let the audience see their fighting desire before betting.
4. Which of the following is not an improvement that Louis Brown notes his new kiln has?
(a) Expansion bands.
(b) Firebrick lining.
(c) Increased insulation.
(d) It's water-powered, which will be cheaper than wood fuel.
5. Why did Foxfire want to interview Burlon Craig?
(a) He invented a new type of kiln.
(b) He is the country's most famous folk potter.
(c) He is the oldest living potter.
(d) He uses a water powered glass mill to grind glass for glazes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What pottery making tool was Bud Maryland the first to own in his community?
2. Where do chickens fight?
3. For what does Burlon Craig sometimes substitute Epsom salts to get a clear glaze?
4. At what age did Norman Smith begin his pottery business with his wife?
5. What is the only ingredient that Louis Brown has to add to his clay?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the history of the sport of cockfighting.
2. What causes Norman Smith's emphysema?
3. Why don't the Wilsons glaze much of their pottery?
4. Explain the difference between a derby and a tournament in the sport of cockfighting.
5. How does Louis Brown say that trains can affect pottery?
6. Why do game chickens receive such excellent care from their owners in terms of food and veterinary care?
7. What kinds of wares did Burlon Craig make when he first started making pottery and what kind of wares does he produce today?
8. Why did the Foxfire staff want to interview Burlon Craig?
9. Why did the Brown family business increase during World War II?
10. Describe the new kiln Louis Brown has built.
This section contains 876 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)