|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the only kind of pottery Chester Wilson can't turn?
(b) Face jugs.
(d) Monkey jugs.
2. What does Burlon Craig use in his glazes to keep them from running?
(d) Oak ashes or, on occasion, flint.
3. What disease does Norman Smith have?
(d) Parkinson's Disease.
4. Why does Louis Brown think that pottery is a dying business?
(a) The clay supply is dwindling.
(b) It can be produced overseas more cheaply.
(c) Too many other businesses are more profitable.
(d) People don't have time to learn the trade.
5. What product did the Brown family start making during the Depression?
(a) French-style cookware.
(b) Buggy jugs.
(c) Face jugs.
6. How many clays do the Wilsons use in their work?
7. What pottery making tool was Bud Maryland the first to own in his community?
(b) Alpine slip.
(c) An electric potter's wheel.
(d) A gas-burning kiln.
8. From whom did Monteen Wilson learn pottery?
(a) Her husband, Hallie Wilson.
(b) She taught herself.
(c) Her mother, Carrie Skelton.
(d) Her father, Loy Skelton.
9. When should game chickens be fed soft foods like oats rather than hard foods like corn?
(a) When they have bad teeth and need dental care.
(b) When they have done well and deserve a treat.
(c) When they are to be used for breeding.
(d) When they're injured and may have bruised intestines.
10. What kind of clay does Henry Wilson use in his pottery?
(a) Alluvial clay.
(b) Green clay.
(d) Powdered clay.
11. Which of the following is not a good reason to choose a hen or rooster for breeding?
(a) The bird's color.
(b) The spring, or amount of bend in the bird's knee.
(c) Their speed and height.
(d) Their ability to cut.
12. What is the shape of the Brown family's current kiln?
13. Which of the following statements describes Irene Smith's skill with the pottery wheel?
(a) She is a master at the pottery wheel.
(b) She can't use the pottery wheel with any skill.
(c) She can use the pottery wheel with mediocre skill.
(d) She is a beginner at the pottery wheel and is doing well.
14. In which branch of the military did Burlon Craig once serve?
(a) The Air Force.
(b) The Navy.
(c) The Marines.
(d) The Army.
15. What method of beating the clay does Chester Wilson prefer?
(a) Hand mixing.
(b) A hammer mill.
(c) A pug mill.
(d) A water-powered milll.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what kind of containers does chicken breeder Clyde Gibson ship his chickens?
2. For what type of pottery does the Brown family use molds?
3. What do the game chicken breeders interviewed for Foxfire 8 recommend about record keeping?
4. Which member of the Brown family grinds the clay?
5. Why are fighting chickens allowed to peck at each other while still held by their handlers?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)