|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the fighting season in the sport of cockfighting?
(a) From November to March.
(b) From March to May.
(c) From January to December.
(d) From November to June.
2. Of what does the water powered mill Burlon Craig uses to break down bottles to get pulverized glass for his glazes consist?
(a) A wooden box with a metal bar on one end.
(b) A metal box with a hammer on one end.
(c) A large saw blade and a small metal box.
(d) A large wooden pole and a wooden box.
3. Which of the following statements does not describe a mill Burlon Craig used for mixing his clay?
(b) Drawn by mules, horses, and tractors.
4. Why did Foxfire want to interview Burlon Craig?
(a) He is the country's most famous folk potter.
(b) He uses a water powered glass mill to grind glass for glazes.
(c) He is the oldest living potter.
(d) He invented a new type of kiln.
5. What disease does Norman Smith have?
(a) Parkinson's Disease.
6. At what age did Norman Smith begin his pottery business with his wife?
7. How do the Wilsons get churns to sell?
(a) They make their own churns.
(b) Their daughters make their churns.
(c) They buy churns from other potters to resell.
(d) They trade face jugs for churns.
8. What does the clear gaze that Burlon Craig uses on his swirl pottery contain?
(a) Ash, glass, and kaolin.
9. Which of the following statements is not true about a cockfighting derby?
(a) There is no entry fee.
(b) The person whose chicken wins the most fights wins.
(c) Each entrant has a number of chickens.
(d) Each entrant pays an entry fee.
10. What types of items do the Wilsons import from Taiwan and resell?
(a) Bamboo baskets and wooden bowls.
(b) Clay flower pots.
(d) Face jugs.
11. What is the only ingredient that Louis Brown has to add to his clay?
12. What method of beating the clay does Chester Wilson prefer?
(a) Hand mixing.
(b) A hammer mill.
(c) A water-powered milll.
(d) A pug mill.
13. Where do chickens fight?
(a) In a specially built wooden box.
(b) In a wire cage.
(c) In a pit or hole in the floor.
(d) In a grassy yard.
14. What does Norman Smith think is the cause of his ill health?
(a) Bad genes.
(b) Unclean water in the mountains.
(c) Breathing smoke and dust while making pottery.
(d) A poor diet.
15. Which of the following is not a good reason to choose a hen or rooster for breeding?
(a) Their ability to cut.
(b) Their speed and height.
(c) The spring, or amount of bend in the bird's knee.
(d) The bird's color.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of a chicken fight, what is done first?
2. How long does Joe Farmer raise chickens until he starts preparing them for fighting?
3. What pottery making tool was Bud Maryland the first to own in his community?
4. When shop owners have tried to sell him "very old" or "antique" pottery, what has Burlon Craig noticed about the pottery?
5. What does Burlon Craig use in his glazes to keep them from running?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)