|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the clear gaze that Burlon Craig uses on his swirl pottery contain?
(c) Ash, glass, and kaolin.
2. Which of the following statements does not describe a mill Burlon Craig used for mixing his clay?
(b) Drawn by mules, horses, and tractors.
3. Who does Clyde Gibson say decides if a chicken fight can occur?
(a) Local chicken owners.
(b) The local mayor.
(c) The local sheriff.
(d) The local animal humane society.
4. Which of the following is not an improvement that Louis Brown notes his new kiln has?
(a) Firebrick lining.
(b) Increased insulation.
(c) Expansion bands.
(d) It's water-powered, which will be cheaper than wood fuel.
5. What kind of clay does Henry Wilson use in his pottery?
(b) Alluvial clay.
(c) Powdered clay.
(d) Green clay.
6. Which statement describes the legality of cockfighting?
(a) The sport is legal in most states.
(b) The sport is illegal only if betting accompanies it.
(c) The sport is illegal in most states.
(d) The sport is a felony in all states.
7. At what age did Norman Smith begin his pottery business with his wife?
8. For what does Burlon Craig sometimes substitute Epsom salts to get a clear glaze?
9. Which of the following statements is not true about a cockfighting derby?
(a) Each entrant has a number of chickens.
(b) The person whose chicken wins the most fights wins.
(c) There is no entry fee.
(d) Each entrant pays an entry fee.
10. Which of the following is not a good reason to choose a hen or rooster for breeding?
(a) Their speed and height.
(b) The spring, or amount of bend in the bird's knee.
(c) Their ability to cut.
(d) The bird's color.
11. Who are the Wilson's main customers?
(a) Catalog and online retailers.
(b) Cemeteries and funeral homes.
(c) Floral shops and greenhouses.
(d) Gift shops.
12. What are buggy jars?
(a) Jars decorated like baby buggies.
(b) Jars used to hide alcohol in during horse and buggy days.
(c) Jars that are malformed in some way.
(d) Jars decorated like bugs.
13. What are fighting birds fed?
(a) Oats and sunflower seeds.
(b) Growth hormones and corn.
(c) Proteins, grains, and greens.
14. From whom did Monteen Wilson learn pottery?
(a) She taught herself.
(b) Her mother, Carrie Skelton.
(c) Her husband, Hallie Wilson.
(d) Her father, Loy Skelton.
15. What are fighting chickens sometimes given prior to a fight to give them extra energy?
(b) A little fruit.
(c) A little honey or sugar.
Short Answer Questions
1. What types of items do the Wilsons import from Taiwan and resell?
2. In what kind of containers does chicken breeder Clyde Gibson ship his chickens?
3. Which of the following is a foreign country mentioned in "Foxfire 8" as a country in which cockfighting is practiced?
4. Why does Louis Brown think that pottery is a dying business?
5. Which of the following is not a chicken breed?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)