|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the population of the county seat?
(a) Ten thousand.
(b) Two thousand.
(c) Five million.
(d) Five hundred.
2. How long does it typically take to fire pottery in a kiln?
(a) Ten to twelve hours.
(b) Half an hour.
(c) Two weeks.
(d) Twenty-four hours.
3. From what material was the Mountain City town water fountain made?
4. For what were Sundays reserved during Carrie Stewart's childhood?
(a) Visiting her grandparents.
(b) Learning Latin and Greek.
(c) Church and religion.
(d) Music lessons.
5. What organization does the Foxfire organization plan to house in the log cabin they're restoring?
(a) Rabun County Middle School.
(b) The Rabun County Historical Society.
(c) Mountain City's post office.
(d) Mountain City's library.
6. What does Edwin Meaders use to fuel his kiln?
(a) Pine wood.
7. What kind of factory is located in Mountain City in the present day?
(a) An automobile factory.
(b) A toy factory.
(c) A plastics factory.
(d) A pants factory.
8. What famous couple does Arie Meaders believe once visited and bought pottery from her?
(a) Martin Luther and Coretta Scott King.
(b) Eleanor and Franklin Roosevelt.
(c) John F. and Jackie Kennedy.
(d) Paul and Linda McCartney.
9. What type of glaze is made of silt ashes and sand or powdered glass and water?
(a) Canton glaze.
(b) New England varnish.
(c) Shanghai glaze.
(d) Albany slip.
10. What is the status of the railroad depot in Mountain City today?
(a) It no longer exists.
(b) It was damaged in a tornado and is being repaired.
(c) It expanded in size and contains a mini-mall.
(d) It has been preserved as a historic building.
11. When Arie Meaders' retired from pottery, what activity did she start doing?
(a) Writing novels.
(d) Baking cookies.
12. What career did Carrie Stewart begin at age 74?
(a) She became a pianist.
(b) She became a midwife.
(c) She became a school teacher.
(d) She became a novelist.
13. What kinds of dances were held at the Mountain City hotels in the 1930's?
(b) Ballet dances.
(c) Square dances.
(d) Ballroom dances.
14. How did Arie Meaders' family cure thrush when she was a child?
(a) With sassafras tea.
(b) With dandelion tea.
(c) With garden sage.
(d) With cod liver oil.
15. What organization gave Foxfire a grant that allowed the organization to hire a person to coordinate the development of manuscripts for Foxfire Press for one year?
(a) The McNair Foundation.
(b) The Georgia Council for the Arts.
(c) The National Foundation for the Arts.
(d) The Putnam-Southerland Foundation.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following statements is true?
2. In what area(s) did Viola Lenoir work?
3. To where would Carrie Stewart walk barefoot in the mud as a child?
4. What tool did Cheever Meaders use to break apart his lumps of clay and mix them into a smooth, even consistency?
5. What is a groundhog kiln?
This section contains 529 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)