|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What shape kiln is common in the South?
2. What item does Eliot Wigginton not want to see on the menu of a diner in his community?
(b) French fries.
3. From where did Arie Meaders' paternal ancestors originate?
4. In what year was Bruce Mosley born?
5. For what did Cheever Meaders use iron lifters?
(a) To open his hot kiln door after a firing.
(b) To transfer finished pieces to the drying shelf.
(c) To lift large pieces of pottery into cartons for shipping.
(d) To lift his potter's wheel onto the kiln.
6. What is Anna Tutt's marital state?
(a) She is engaged to be married.
(b) She is widowed.
(c) She is divorced.
(d) She is single and has never married.
7. What benefit did Cheever Meaders derive from making his favorite types of pottery?
(a) He could make them more quickly than other pieces.
(b) His wife could assist him in making them.
(c) He earned more from the larger pieces.
(d) His children helped him glaze these pieces.
8. Whose death made Anna Tutt's childhood even more difficult?
(a) Her mother's.
(b) Her twin sister's.
(c) Her father's.
(d) Her grandfather's.
9. For what did Carrie Stewart earn an award?
(a) Her quilts.
(b) Her service as a midwife.
(c) Her blueberry pie.
(d) Her apricot jam.
10. What tool did Cheever Meaders use to break apart his lumps of clay and mix them into a smooth, even consistency?
(a) An electric mixer.
(b) A mud mill.
(c) A potter's wheel.
(d) A wooden spoon.
11. What was Viola Lenoir's educational level?
(a) 7th grade.
(b) High school graduate.
(c) 4th grade.
(d) She had no formal education.
12. When Arie Meaders' retired from pottery, what activity did she start doing?
(b) Writing novels.
(c) Baking cookies.
13. What kinds of dances were held at the Mountain City hotels in the 1930's?
(a) Square dances.
(b) Ballroom dances.
(d) Ballet dances.
14. Which of Arie Meaders' children is the only one who was interested in pottery?
15. In the 1930's in Mountain City, which of the following was not a local product shipped out of town to markets?
(a) Bundles of animal hides.
(b) Live chickens.
(c) Medicinal herbs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the profession of Viola Lenoir's mother?
2. In the 1930's in Mountain City, what fruit was grown locally, sorted and boxed at a packing house near the depot?
3. What famous couple does Arie Meaders believe once visited and bought pottery from her?
4. What kind of factory is located in Mountain City in the present day?
5. At what age was Bruce Mosley's grandmother Polly freed from slavery?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)