|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which character is Sissie foreshadowed to be most like?
2. Which of the following statements represents Sissie's hope for the way Jesse ages?
3. When the mysterious man asks Sissie about her age, how does she respond?
4. Which of the following do Sissie's parents argue about in Part 3?
5. Which of the following words describes how Sissie feels at the end of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Joyce Carol Oates use dialogue to convey parts of the story? Is dialogue vital to the story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How is self-consciousness a theme in the story? Why does Sissie feel self-conscious? Is she rational in feeling this way? Why or why not? What is the cause of Sissie's discomfort?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the use of foreshadowing in the text. Point out two specific pieces of foreshadowing from the story and explain what the foreshadowing represents for the reader.
This section contains 237 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)