|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the outcome of Sissie's parents bickering at the tavern in the first summer?
2. In Part 2, where is Frank?
3. How many brothers does Sissie have?
4. How does Sissie describe her mother's hair in the first summer?
5. In what body part does Sissie see similarity between her father and Jerry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Sissie to feel suffocated in the final part of the book?
2. Why does Sissie view her brief encounter with the mysterious man as a game?
3. How is the idea of life and death explored in the text in part 1?
4. Choose one literary device used in Part 2 and explain how it is used.
5. Describe Sissie's view of her father the first summer at the tavern.
6. What message about marriage does Sissie pass on?
7. After reading about Sissie's first summer experience at the tavern, what predictions can be made about the rest of the story?
8. In "Four Summers", what role are women meant to play? How does Sissie feel about this?
9. Why might it be difficult to write from Sissie's perspective?
10. How does Sissie compare her father to other men?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Is "Four Summers" plot-driven or character-driven? Why? How does the reader know this? Why is this significant?
Essay Topic 2
Would you consider distrust to be a theme in the book? Who is Sissie distrustful of? Why?
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of the title "Four Summers" to the story? How does it relate to the setting and Sissie's character development? Is the title so important that if it were changed, it would change the story's context? Why or why not?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)