|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who becomes angry with a woman when she offers something to Sissie during the first summer?
2. What is Sissie's reaction to seeing a character vomiting?
3. What view does Sissie have of Frank?
4. How does Sissie describe the island that she goes to with her father?
5. Who wishes that their father were dead?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Sissie an innocent character in the beginning of the story? Why or why not?
2. What message about marriage does Sissie pass on?
3. In Part 3, how does Sissie feel about her father?
4. How does Sissie compare her father to other men?
5. How has the relationship between Sissie and her mother changed over the course of the story?
6. How does Sissie compare the bar at the end of the book to the same bar years earlier?
7. Describe the island that Sissie and Jerry explore.
8. What has changed in Sissie's life between the first two summers narrated?
9. Describe Sissie's mother in the beginning of the story.
10. How does the reader know that time has passed between Part 2 and Part 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze Sissie's development as a character. Describe her starting position in comparison to her ending position. How does she change physically? How do her emotions and beliefs change? Why?
Essay Topic 2
How can the reader tell the differences between each narration? How does the reader know that the narrator has matured between sections? How does diction change? How does Sissie's comprehension change?
Essay Topic 3
What is the hierarchy of the sexes is the book? What are the expectations of women? What are the expectations of men? How does this relate to Sissie?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)