|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What item makes Sissie feel powerless in the first summer?
(b) The bird.
(d) Her brothers.
2. What is Sissie's father drinking as he approaches the children waiting for him in the second summer chapter?
3. Which of the following is a theme in the book, visible in the first summer?
(a) Devotion to one's mother.
(b) Devotion to self.
(c) Imperfections in the world.
(d) Animal nurturing.
4. What season is it in when Sissie is on the island?
5. By which of the following items do Sissie's brothers wait?
(a) A stable.
(b) A bar stool.
(c) A boat.
(d) A car.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Sissie's reaction to seeing a character vomiting?
2. Looking at her father from far away, whom does Sissie believe he looks like?
3. When Sissie witnesses a character vomiting, where are they doing it?
4. Describe the relationship among the children in the first summer the reader sees at the tavern.
5. Where do Sissie and Jerry wait in the second summer chapter?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Part 3, how does Sissie feel about her father?
2. Describe Sissie, the narrator, as she is first introduced.
3. What is Sissie afraid of in Part 1?
4. Choose one literary device used in Part 2 and explain how it is used.
5. Is Sissie an innocent character in the beginning of the story? Why or why not?
6. How does the writer make the summer season very apparent in the text in Part 2?
7. What is one example of imperfection as shown in the text in Part 1?
8. Why does Sissie say that her father looks like a stranger?
9. How does Sissie compare herself to the boat she rides in? Why?
10. How does Sissie compare herself to other girls her own age in Part 3?
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)