|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After witnessing a character vomiting, where does Sissie wish that she was?
(a) At the boathouse.
(b) At home in her mother's arms.
(c) With her husband.
(d) On the island alone.
2. Which of the following people does Sissie see her father talking to as she waits for him?
(a) The bartender.
(b) Her mother's friends.
(c) A prostitute.
(d) A mysterious man.
3. Which of the following indicates that time has passed between the first two parts of the book?
(a) Maturation in the narration.
(b) The narrator's education.
(c) The age of the tavern.
(d) The changing seasons.
4. How does Sissie describe Jerry's shoes?
(a) Frayed because he has had them forever.
(b) Not as nice as her own.
5. In Part 2, where is Frank?
(a) At school.
(b) Inside a bar.
(c) At home babysitting.
(d) With his friends.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is used to describe Sissie's father's mannerisms?
2. Which of the following describes the setting of the book?
3. What is the cause of a character's vomiting?
4. Which of the following is obvious to the reader by the second summer about Sissie's father?
5. Whom does Sissie witness throwing up in the second summer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Sissie marry Jesse?
2. Is Sissie powerless the first summer? Why or why not?
3. Describe one piece of foreshadowing that occurs in Sissie's second summer of narration.
4. In "Four Summers", what role are women meant to play? How does Sissie feel about this?
5. Describe Sissie's view of her father the first summer at the tavern.
6. What foreshadowing is present in the first part of the story, and what is foreshadowed?
7. What makes Sissie vulnerable?
8. How has the relationship between Sissie and her mother changed over the course of the story?
9. Why does Sissie say that her father looks like a stranger?
10. How does Sissie compare the bar at the end of the book to the same bar years earlier?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)