|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Sissie describe her mother in the first summer detailed?
(d) A drunkard.
2. Where was the family in the first summer before they came to the tavern?
(a) A family dinner.
(b) A festival for Independence Day.
(c) At a birthday party.
(d) A parade.
3. Which of the following might be considered Sissie's tragic flaw in the first summer?
(a) Her love for her parents.
(b) Her love for nature.
(c) Her fear of her family.
(d) Her love for her brothers.
4. How does Sissie describe her mother's hair in the first summer?
(a) Cut too short.
(b) Exactly like her aunt's.
5. The reader can determine that the narrator has matured by the second summer after studying which of the following?
Short Answer Questions
1. In what way does Sissie's father offer to let her row the boat?
2. Which of the following is a theme in the book, visible in the first summer?
3. Who claims to hate their father?
4. In the second summer, how long ago did Jerry get into big trouble?
5. Which of the following indicates that time has passed between the first two parts of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has changed in Sissie's life between the first two summers narrated?
2. Why might it be difficult to write from Sissie's perspective?
3. What foreshadowing is present in the first part of the story, and what is foreshadowed?
4. Why did Sissie marry Jesse?
5. What causes Sissie to lose trust in her mother?
6. How does Sissie compare herself to other girls her own age in Part 3?
7. Describe Sissie's view of her father the first summer at the tavern.
8. How is the idea of life and death explored in the text in part 1?
9. In what way does Sissie compare herself to her mother? How does she think they are different?
10. Why is Sissie self-conscious of herself by Part 3?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)