|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Sissie's father drinking as he approaches the children waiting for him in the second summer chapter?
2. Where is Sissie in the second summer?
(a) The boathouse.
(b) A friend's house.
(c) Her home.
(d) A playground.
3. What does Sissie's world revolve around in the first summer?
(a) Her friends.
(c) Her siblings.
(d) Her parents.
4. What does Sissie lack in the first summer of her narration?
(a) Character development.
(b) Affection for her parents.
(c) The ability to put events into details.
5. Which of the following thoughts does Sissie have about her father?
(a) That he does not drink as much as the other men do.
(b) That he is less attractive than other men are.
(c) That he is unlike other men.
(d) That he is meaner than the other men are.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who jokingly offers to take the children on a boat?
2. What is Sissie's reaction to seeing a character vomiting?
3. What is the occupation of the man who marched in a parade?
4. How is the narrator's voice best described?
5. Which of the following describes Jerry's tone of voice as he waits with Sissie for his father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe one piece of foreshadowing that occurs in Sissie's second summer of narration.
2. Is Sissie justified in being angry with her parents in Part 3? Why or why not?
3. What is one specific example from Part 2 of the novel's setting being a rural one?
4. What does Sissie claim anchors her to the earth?
5. What is Sissie afraid of in Part 1?
6. After reading about Sissie's first summer experience at the tavern, what predictions can be made about the rest of the story?
7. Why do Sissie's parents argue in Part 3? How does it make Sissie feel?
8. In what way has the narration matured in the second summer that Sissie narrates?
9. In what ways does Jesse remind Sissie of her father?
10. What foreshadowing is present in the first part of the story, and what is foreshadowed?
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)