|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the outcome of Sissie's parents bickering at the tavern in the first summer?
(b) Sissie's mother takes Sissie back home.
(c) Sissie's aunt begins crying.
(d) Sissie's father takes the boys in the boat.
2. According to Sissie, what color does her father's face turn as he drinks?
3. Which of the following might be considered a tone in the story?
4. How does Sissie describe her mother's hair in the first summer?
(b) Exactly like her aunt's.
(c) Cut too short.
5. Who wishes that their father were dead?
(c) Sissie's sister.
6. By which of the following items do Sissie's brothers wait?
(a) A car.
(b) A boat.
(c) A bar stool.
(d) A stable.
7. What season is it in when Sissie is on the island?
8. How is Sissie's family related to somebody they know who marched in a parade?
(a) He is Sissie's uncle.
(b) He is Sissie's teacher.
(c) He is a family friend.
(d) He is Sissie's brother.
9. Who jokingly offers to take the children on a boat?
(a) Sissie's neighbor.
(b) A friend of Sissie's mother.
(c) Sissie's uncle.
(d) A friend of Sissie's aunt.
10. What does Sissie's world revolve around in the first summer?
(a) Her friends.
(b) Her siblings.
(c) Her parents.
11. In what body part does Sissie see similarity between her father and Jerry?
12. Which of the following makes the setting in the second summer seem rural?
(a) The theme of alcohol.
(b) Sissie's upbringing.
(c) The words that characters use.
(d) The bar.
13. What inanimate object does Sissie compare herself to in the second summer?
(a) A boat.
(b) A lake.
(c) A tree.
(d) An island.
14. What beverage does Sissie's father drink in the beginning of the story?
15. Which of the following is a quality of the narration in the book?
(b) Indistinct voice.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the narrator's voice best described?
2. Where was the family in the first summer before they came to the tavern?
3. How old is Jerry as he waits with Sissie for their father the second summer?
4. What is Sissie's father drinking as he approaches the children waiting for him in the second summer chapter?
5. Whom do Sissie's brothers beg to do something?
This section contains 412 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)