|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After witnessing a character vomiting, where does Sissie wish that she was?
(a) At home in her mother's arms.
(b) At the boathouse.
(c) On the island alone.
(d) With her husband.
2. How is Sissie's family related to somebody they know who marched in a parade?
(a) He is Sissie's brother.
(b) He is a family friend.
(c) He is Sissie's uncle.
(d) He is Sissie's teacher.
3. Which of the following is obvious to the reader by the second summer about Sissie's father?
(a) He does not know how to row a boat.
(b) He is an alcoholic.
(c) He abuses drugs.
(d) He does not love his children.
4. Which of the following describes Jerry's tone of voice as he waits with Sissie for his father?
5. Which of the following is offered to Sissie by a woman in the first summer?
(a) A sip of beer.
(b) A free kitten.
(c) A stuffed animal.
(d) A sweater.
6. What does Sissie's world revolve around in the first summer?
(a) Her friends.
(b) Her siblings.
(c) Her parents.
7. Describe the relationship among the children in the first summer the reader sees at the tavern.
(a) Sissie wants to be just like her brothers.
(b) Sissie is close with her brothers.
(c) Sissie is afraid of her brothers.
(d) Sissie spends a lot of time with her brothers but does not like doing so.
8. Which of the following might be considered Sissie's tragic flaw in the first summer?
(a) Her love for her brothers.
(b) Her love for her parents.
(c) Her fear of her family.
(d) Her love for nature.
9. How does Sissie describe her father's build?
(a) He is large with little muscle tone.
(b) He has thin but strong arms.
(c) He is thin but flabby.
(d) He has always had a fit body from working out often.
10. Which of the following is a quality of the narration in the book?
(d) Indistinct voice.
11. Which of the following is a new addition to Sissie's family in the second summer?
(a) A bird.
(b) A cat.
(c) A baby boy.
(d) A baby girl.
12. Which of the following thoughts does Sissie have about her father?
(a) That he does not drink as much as the other men do.
(b) That he is less attractive than other men are.
(c) That he is meaner than the other men are.
(d) That he is unlike other men.
13. What does Sissie lack in the first summer of her narration?
(a) The ability to put events into details.
(c) Affection for her parents.
(d) Character development.
14. How does Sissie describe her mother's hair in the first summer?
(b) Exactly like her aunt's.
(d) Cut too short.
15. Whom does Sissie try to pacify as she waits for her father in the second summer?
(a) Her younger sibling.
(b) Her mother.
(c) Her aunt.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the outcome of Sissie's parents bickering at the tavern in the first summer?
2. What beverage does Sissie's father drink in the beginning of the story?
3. How does Sissie believe her father looks as he spits?
4. What type of bird do the children see that is stuck?
5. Which of the following is a theme in the book, visible in the first summer?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)