|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following people does Sissie see her father talking to as she waits for him?
(a) Her mother's friends.
(b) The bartender.
(c) A mysterious man.
(d) A prostitute.
2. Which of the following literary devices is present in the book?
(c) Dramatic irony.
3. What does Sissie do after seeing a character vomiting?
(a) She begins crying and freezes.
(b) She runs away.
(c) She calls her mother.
(d) She begins yelling.
4. How does Sissie describe the island that she goes to with her father?
(b) Large and open.
(c) Cluttered and expansive.
(d) Small and dirty.
5. Who has the idea to go to the island in the boat?
6. How does Sissie describe her father's build?
(a) He has always had a fit body from working out often.
(b) He is large with little muscle tone.
(c) He has thin but strong arms.
(d) He is thin but flabby.
7. Which of the following is the name of Sissie's oldest brother?
8. When Sissie witnesses a character vomiting, where are they doing it?
(a) Onto the island's soil.
(b) In the same place she once saw a trapped bird.
(c) Into a trash can.
(d) Into the water.
9. What type of bird do the children see that is stuck?
(a) A blackbird.
(b) A blue jay.
(c) A sparrow.
(d) A cardinal.
10. What is Sissie's father drinking as he approaches the children waiting for him in the second summer chapter?
11. Which of the following qualities does Sissie use to describe Jimmy?
(c) A criminal.
12. What view does Sissie have of Jerry?
(a) He is kind to her.
(b) He does not understand the world around him.
(c) He is her best friend.
(d) He is impatient.
13. Who jokingly offers to take the children on a boat?
(a) A friend of Sissie's aunt.
(b) Sissie's uncle.
(c) A friend of Sissie's mother.
(d) Sissie's neighbor.
14. In what way does Sissie's father offer to let her row the boat?
15. Which of the following makes the setting in the second summer seem rural?
(a) The words that characters use.
(b) Sissie's upbringing.
(c) The theme of alcohol.
(d) The bar.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Sissie play a game with at the beginning of the story?
2. How old is Sissie in the first summer detailed in the story?
3. Which of the following is the name of Sissie's youngest brother?
4. Where is Sissie sitting when she plays a game in her first summer at the tavern?
5. Where do Sissie's brothers want to go?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)