|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Agnes say she is not yet ready to have the baby?
(a) There is still laundry drying outside.
(b) She wants her mother to be present for the birth.
(c) Michael has not received his paycheck yet.
(d) She is not ready to be a mother.
2. At the beginning of the play, why does Michael claim that he is embarrassed?
(a) He is nervous about the night and does not want to revolt Agnes.
(b) He told Agnes a story about his fortune as fortold by a gypsy woman.
(c) His shirt has stains on it and he hadn't realized it until that moment.
(d) His clothing doesn't fit right and he wants to make a good impression.
3. What secret does Agnes tell Michael on her wedding night?
(a) That she has never seen a man naked before.
(b) That she lied to him about her age.
(c) That she is pregnant.
(d) That she has been married once before.
4. What does Agnes throw at Michael when she is mad at him in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) Her shoe.
(b) A rattle.
(c) The "God Is Love" pillow.
(d) A book.
5. Why does Agnes say she would give away all twenty of her children?
(a) To ease Michael's mind, reminding him that he is most important as her husband.
(b) To give the children a better opportunity at life.
(c) To make sure that the children receive better parental care than she can provide.
(d) To ease the couple's financial burden of raising so many children.
Short Answer Questions
1. What smell keeps worrying Agnes in Act 1, Scene 1?
2. When Michael goes to the washstand on his wedding night, what does he do?
3. When Agnes is in bed she swears she is comfortable, but then immediately changes her mind, saying what?
4. What does Michael reveal that he said to Agnes when they first met?
5. Agnes tells Michael in Act 1, Scene 2 that he has changed into a what?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)