|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Agnes starts having labor pains, what is the first thing Michael does?
(a) Faint onto the fourposter bed.
(b) Frantically rush to get dressed for the doctor.
(c) Complain about Agnes' timing.
(d) Go into the bathroom to shave.
2. At the beginning of the play, why does Michael claim that he is embarrassed?
(a) His clothing doesn't fit right and he wants to make a good impression.
(b) He is nervous about the night and does not want to revolt Agnes.
(c) He told Agnes a story about his fortune as fortold by a gypsy woman.
(d) His shirt has stains on it and he hadn't realized it until that moment.
3. In Act 1, Scene 2, what is Michael's selfish concern?
(a) He needs to finish writing his book.
(b) He is hungry and wants to eat right away.
(c) He feels insignificant compared to the coming baby.
(d) He thinks the doctor will not tend to him.
4. What does Michael read to Agnes at the end of Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) His favorite childrens book.
(b) The Bible.
(c) The new book he has started to write.
(d) The daily newspaper.
5. Why does Agnes say she would give away all twenty of her children?
(a) To ease Michael's mind, reminding him that he is most important as her husband.
(b) To give the children a better opportunity at life.
(c) To make sure that the children receive better parental care than she can provide.
(d) To ease the couple's financial burden of raising so many children.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 1, Scene 1, what scent does Michael tell Agnes is on his breath?
2. What does Michael change into after Agnes retreats to the bathroom on their wedding night?
3. What does Agnes determine is wrong with Michael at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2?
4. After Michael puts on his coat to leave in Act 1, Scene 2, what is the next thing he does?
5. Who does Michael say told him that everything in his life would turn out right and that he would have a happy married life?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)