|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, Scene 2.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Agnes say she is not yet ready to have the baby?
(a) Michael has not received his paycheck yet.
(b) She wants her mother to be present for the birth.
(c) There is still laundry drying outside.
(d) She is not ready to be a mother.
2. About how much time has passed in the setting of Act 1, Scene 2 since the previous scene?
(a) One year.
(b) A week.
(c) A month.
(d) Five years.
3. At the beginning of the play, why does Michael claim that he is embarrassed?
(a) He told Agnes a story about his fortune as fortold by a gypsy woman.
(b) His clothing doesn't fit right and he wants to make a good impression.
(c) His shirt has stains on it and he hadn't realized it until that moment.
(d) He is nervous about the night and does not want to revolt Agnes.
4. What does Michael change into after Agnes retreats to the bathroom on their wedding night?
(a) A suit with a top hat and bowtie.
(b) His jeans and a sweater.
(c) His nightshirt, nightcap, coat and trousers.
(d) Just his nightshirt.
5. In Act 1, Scene 2, what is Michael's selfish concern?
(a) He feels insignificant compared to the coming baby.
(b) He is hungry and wants to eat right away.
(c) He needs to finish writing his book.
(d) He thinks the doctor will not tend to him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Agnes take the side of the bed away from the door?
2. When Michael goes to the washstand on his wedding night, what does he do?
3. What does the pillow in the bed have embroidered on it?
4. Who does Agnes say left the pillow on the bed?
5. Michael describes himself as a "male animal" that has done what?
This section contains 369 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)