|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In The Clouds, why does Socrates reject tradition?
(a) Because he believes he knows better.
(b) Because it's the right thing to do.
(c) Because Socrates doesn't know any better.
(d) Because tradition has been full of injustice.
2. Why is The Clouds so memorable today?
(a) For its powerful portrayal of Plato.
(b) Because it was the first play that used talking animals.
(c) For its powerful portrayal of Socrates.
(d) Because of its affirmation of Socrates' ideals and principles.
3. According to The Clouds, what force holds communities and families together?
(a) The oracle at Delphi.
(b) Intellectual rigor.
(d) A faith in Zeus.
4. What is the correct chronology of Socratic dialogues?
(a) Euthyphro, Crito, Apology.
(b) Apology, Euthyphro, Crito.
(c) Apology, Crito, Euthyphro.
(d) Euthyphro, Apology, Crito.
5. What do citizens depend upon for their ability to achieve excellence?
(d) Political power.
6. How many years after The Clouds did the trial of Socrates happen?
(a) One-hundred and eight.
7. Which of the following terms best describes Pheidippides?
8. Aristophanes is known for using what kind of rhetoric?
(c) Black humor.
9. What problem is Strepsiades dealing with at the beginning of The Clouds?
(a) He has a great crisis of faith.
(b) His mother has been murdered.
(c) He is fleeing from the law.
(d) He is overwhelmed with debt.
10. What relationship is Crito to Socrates?
(a) Legal counsel.
11. Aristophanes is from which city?
12. How does Socrates' respond to Crito's worry over Socrates' reputation?
(a) Socrates actually wants his reputation to be as bad as possible.
(b) Socrates shares Crito's concern.
(c) Socrates pleads with Crito to restore his legacy.
(d) Regardless of reputation, he must obey the law.
13. What plan does Crito have for Socrates?
(a) Crito plans to murder Socrates in order to put him out of his misery.
(b) Crito plans to launch an aggressive support campaign in town.
(c) Crito has an escape plan to break out of prison.
(d) Crito plans to appeal to the higher court.
14. Where is Socrates kept prior to his sentence being carried out?
(a) He is under house arrest at his school.
(c) Plato's home.
(d) Crito's home.
15. What would happen if Socrates fled to a city that was poorly-governed?
(a) He would be killed for a bounty.
(b) He could take advantage of foolish people.
(c) He might be able to establish a political career.
(d) He could not live a good life.
Short Answer Questions
1. What text does Pheidippides recite at the party Strepsiades throws for him?
2. How does Socrates end the Crito dialogue?
3. What position does Strepsiades have in society?
4. Which of the following is NOT one of the character traits of Socrates in The Clouds?
5. On which point in Crito does Socrates differ markedly from his position in Apology?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)