|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Aristophanes' Clouds.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What verdict does the jury deliver in Socrates' trial?
(a) Guilty by reason of mental disease.
(c) It was the equivalent of a hung jury.
2. How should one seeking meaning in life, according to Socrates?
(a) By asking good friends for advice.
(b) By considering a set of ideals, which one can use to compare to one's own life.
(c) By dulling one's senses with drugs and alcohol.
(d) By obeying the will of the gods.
3. Why does Socrates believe his oratorical skill is superior to his opponents in his trial?
(a) He is much more knowledgeable about rhetorical strategies and logic.
(b) His speech bears impressive flourishes.
(c) He speaks the truth, and they do not.
(d) He has practiced his entire life to defend what he stands for, and so is better prepared.
4. Aristophanes' portrayal of Socrates would most closely match whose perception of Socrates?
(c) The average citizen of Athens.
5. What do experts have to do with laws?
(a) Law is derived from expertise.
(b) Experts are called upon to evaluate laws.
(c) Only experts are able to tell when the law is broken.
(d) Universal laws of wisdom are the exclusive domain of the expert.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Crito think Socrates displayed during his trial?
2. Which of the following terms best describes Pheidippides?
3. What is Socrates' first defense against the charge that he is corrupting youth?
4. Aristophanes is from which city?
5. What is the subject of Plato's Apology?
This section contains 305 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)