|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Aristophanes' Clouds.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Euthyphro, when the Athenian people are pious, what happens?
(a) Neighboring Sparta suffers illness and death.
(b) The gods reward them.
(c) They feel better and work harder, with or without the gods.
(d) The gods shun them.
2. What text does Pheidippides recite at the party Strepsiades throws for him?
(a) A play about rape.
(b) A poem about incest.
(c) A dialogue in which Plato is humiliated by Socrates.
(d) A poem about thievery.
3. What do citizens depend upon for their ability to achieve excellence?
(c) Political power.
4. Why does Euthyphro decide to end his conversation with Socrates?
(a) Euthyphro successfully argued his case, and emerged victorious.
(b) Socrates has become belligerent and angry.
(c) He is frustrated at the logical traps Socrates has put him in.
(d) Euthyphro was personally insulted after Socrates mentioned his father.
5. What does Crito think about the justice or injustice of the trial? Why?
(a) The trial was just, because Socrates deserved his fate, given his lackluster defense.
(b) The trial was just, because Socrates was truly guilty.
(c) The trial was unjust, because Meletus the prosecutor tricked the jury.
(d) The trial was unjust, because Socrates didn't do his proper duty to defend himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. What sentence does Socrates' friends beg for him to choose?
2. What does Crito think Socrates displayed during his trial?
3. What city does Euthyphro take place in?
4. Socrates and Crito agree that the individual should follow what?
5. How does Socrates compare death to sleep?
This section contains 305 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)