|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Plato's Crito.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Socrates' first defense against the charge that he is corrupting youth?
(a) If love is a crime, Socrates is guilty as charged.
(b) He has no hand in making laws, which is what truly corrupts youth.
(c) He had only talked with elderly people at his school.
(d) Youth is made for corruption; only later in life does one find morality.
2. Who does Euthyphro compare to himself and his father?
(a) Zeus and Kronos.
(b) Zeus and Hercules.
(c) Zeus and Hera.
(d) Plato and Socrates.
3. What does Socrates claim about his relationship with his students?
(a) He has never claimed to teach, only to talk honestly.
(b) He has no students, and the trial is a complete farce.
(c) He makes them suffer only so he can teach them more.
(d) His students are all too stupid to do much damage.
4. Why is Socrates wiser than anyone he knows?
(a) Because he knows that he knows nothing.
(b) Because he knows all the best philosophers in Athens, including Plato.
(c) Because of his great understanding of physics and astronomy.
(d) Because of his powerful observational skills of the natural world.
5. What is the basic impression of Socrates' overall defense strategy?
(a) It was meaningless because Meletus rigged the trial.
(b) It was weak and full of holes.
(c) It displayed Socrates' full wit and brilliance.
(d) It was strong, but just not enough.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name for Athens' hall of heroes?
2. What does Socrates say about death and the divine voice in his head?
3. Which is the first of three Socratic dialogues written by Plato?
4. What is Euthyphro's profession?
5. What would happen if Socrates fled to a city that was poorly-governed?
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)