|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Plato's Apology.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Socrates say that he is not impious?
(a) He regularly speaks with the voice in his head.
(b) Meletus, in charging impiety, has contradicted himself.
(c) He believes there are cloud goddesses.
(d) He in fact believes in Zeus wholeheartedly.
2. What does Socrates discover when he speaks with and interviews "wise men"?
(a) Wise men is where Socrates got all his knowledge from.
(b) He discovers they know nothing.
(c) They are nearly as intelligent as himself.
(d) He realized they were simply trying to get him to convert to worshiping Apollo.
3. At the end of Euthyphro, what does Socrates' "god" tell him?
(a) Athens will be destroyed in a great flood some day.
(b) He is the wisest of men in another part of his life.
(c) He should not have treated Euthyphro so harshly.
(d) He will die at dawn the next day.
4. What is Socrates' general attitude toward the citizens of Athens?
5. How does Socrates try to prove that the Athenian definition of corruption is defective?
(a) By arguing that laws are meant to be broken.
(b) By calling forth a large number of his students to testify.
(c) By asking the prosecution to produce concrete evidence of the alleged corruption.
(d) By showing that he pursues a good life in a proper way.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Apology, what is Socrates' opinion on death?
2. Why is Socrates put on trial?
3. What is the name of Zeus' father?
4. How does society react to a philosopher who tells the truth, according to Socrates?
5. Which is NOT one of the insults lodged against Socrates by the citizens of Athens?
This section contains 338 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)