|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Plato's Apology.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Socrates object to the notion that piety is a system of exchange between gods and men?
(a) There is no delivery system in place for the exchange.
(b) Men can never offer the one thing the gods truly crave: mortality.
(c) The "currency" between gods and men does not translate well.
(d) Gods could not possibly need anything from humans.
2. What verdict does the jury deliver in Socrates' trial?
(b) Guilty by reason of mental disease.
(c) It was the equivalent of a hung jury.
3. How should one seeking meaning in life, according to Socrates?
(a) By dulling one's senses with drugs and alcohol.
(b) By considering a set of ideals, which one can use to compare to one's own life.
(c) By obeying the will of the gods.
(d) By asking good friends for advice.
4. What does Socrates believe is the central question of life?
(a) How should one live one's life?
(b) What is the meaning of piety?
(c) How does one acquire knowledge?
(d) What is it all for?
5. What does Socrates have Euthyphro agree about, in regards to love?
(a) Love is the mutual lack of disrespect between two people.
(b) Love, like the top of Mount Olympus, can never truly be known.
(c) Love always depends on exactly three parties.
(d) Things that are loved, are loved because they are loved by someone.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the profession of Socrates?
2. What did the oracle at Delphi tell Socrates?
3. What sentence does Socrates suggest for himself?
4. How does Socrates characterize the normal Athenian's pursuit of the good life?
5. What sentence does Socrates' friends beg for him to choose?
This section contains 339 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)