|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Plato's Apology.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which is NOT one of the insults lodged against Socrates by the citizens of Athens?
(a) He is a busybody.
(b) He questions the gods through science.
(c) He teaches about Zeus much too often.
(d) He is always off in his own world, thinking abstract thoughts.
2. What is Euthyphro's father accused of?
3. What is Euthyphro's initial definition of piety?
(a) Piety is behaving according to a strict set of morals.
(b) Piety is what is dear to the gods.
(c) Piety is following the arbitrary will of the universe.
(d) Piety is a faith to end all faiths.
4. According to Euthyphro, when the Athenian people are pious, what happens?
(a) The gods shun them.
(b) Neighboring Sparta suffers illness and death.
(c) They feel better and work harder, with or without the gods.
(d) The gods reward them.
5. How does Socrates characterize the normal Athenian's pursuit of the good life?
(a) Manly self-assertion.
(b) The search for beauty.
(c) Apolitical charity.
(d) A fight for justice.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are many scientists accused of atheism, according to Socrates?
2. What nationality was Socrates?
3. How does Socrates characterize the gods in Euthyphro?
4. What does Socrates believe is the central question of life?
5. According to Euthyphro, what might Socrates say about his own level of knowledge?
This section contains 301 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)