|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Plato's Apology.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What famous text succeeded in tarnishing Socrates' reputation, dealing him a blow in his trial?
(d) The Clouds.
2. Why did Socrates decide to worship the god that the oracle of Delphi channeled?
(a) Socrates chose a god to worship randomly, because they don't exist, so it doesn't matter.
(b) The oracle had a correct pronouncement concerning wisdom.
(c) The oracle complimented his looks.
(d) Socrates did it out of spite, because the oracle did not want Socrates to worship his god.
3. According to Socrates, when pursuing the truth, a person should defer to what authority?
(a) A political leader.
(b) A person should not defer to any authority.
(c) A social reformer.
(d) A religious leader.
4. What is the overarching subject of Euthyphro?
5. At the end of Euthyphro, what does Socrates' "god" tell him?
(a) Athens will be destroyed in a great flood some day.
(b) He will die at dawn the next day.
(c) He is the wisest of men in another part of his life.
(d) He should not have treated Euthyphro so harshly.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Euthyphro, what might Socrates say about his own level of knowledge?
2. What is Euthyphro's initial definition of piety?
3. What does Socrates tell the jury after his sentence is decided?
4. What emotion did Socrates stir in the jury by his suggestion of a punishment?
5. What does Socrates tell his friends and supporters after his sentence is decided?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)