|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Plato's Apology.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the dialogue in Euthyphro end?
(a) There is a great earthquake.
(b) Socrates is taken to prison.
(c) Euthyphro becomes frustrated and leaves.
(d) Plato died before he finished writing it.
2. At the end of Apology, what is Socrates' opinion on death?
(a) Death is frightening.
(b) Death is not harmful.
(c) Death is an illusion of the mind.
(d) Death is full of suffering.
3. According to Euthyphro, what might Socrates say about his own level of knowledge?
(a) Socrates feels he is a storehouse of knowledge.
(b) Socrates feels he has a great memory.
(c) Socrates feels wisdom is completely unimportant.
(d) Socrates feels he knows nothing.
4. How does society react to a philosopher who tells the truth, according to Socrates?
(a) That philosopher is feared.
(b) That philosopher is ignored.
(c) That philosopher is celebrated.
(d) That philosopher is hated.
5. What does Socrates claim about his relationship with his students?
(a) He has no students, and the trial is a complete farce.
(b) He has never claimed to teach, only to talk honestly.
(c) His students are all too stupid to do much damage.
(d) He makes them suffer only so he can teach them more.
Short Answer Questions
1. What famous text succeeded in tarnishing Socrates' reputation, dealing him a blow in his trial?
2. How does Socrates try to prove that the Athenian definition of corruption is defective?
3. According to Socrates, what gives him the right to challenge society, in Apology?
4. Euthyphro covers which section of Socrates' legal ordeal?
5. What is Socrates' first defense against the charge that he is corrupting youth?
This section contains 358 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)