|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Plato's Apology.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Socrates believe is the central question of life?
(a) How should one live one's life?
(b) What is it all for?
(c) What is the meaning of piety?
(d) How does one acquire knowledge?
2. Why does Socrates object to the notion that piety is a system of exchange between gods and men?
(a) Men can never offer the one thing the gods truly crave: mortality.
(b) The "currency" between gods and men does not translate well.
(c) There is no delivery system in place for the exchange.
(d) Gods could not possibly need anything from humans.
3. What is the overarching subject of Euthyphro?
4. Why is Socrates wiser than anyone he knows?
(a) Because he knows all the best philosophers in Athens, including Plato.
(b) Because of his powerful observational skills of the natural world.
(c) Because he knows that he knows nothing.
(d) Because of his great understanding of physics and astronomy.
5. What sentence does Socrates' friends beg for him to choose?
(a) A fine.
(b) One year of community service.
(c) Imprisonment of one year.
(d) Death by beheading, as it is the quickest way.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Athenian law, is Socrates innocent or guilty of the crimes charged to him?
2. What famous text succeeded in tarnishing Socrates' reputation, dealing him a blow in his trial?
3. What is Socrates' first defense against the charge that he is corrupting youth?
4. What does Socrates tell his friends and supporters after his sentence is decided?
5. Where does Euthyphro take place?
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)