|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Aristophanes' Clouds.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What ultimate sentence is handed down by the jury?
(a) A fine.
(b) Death by poison.
(c) Death by hanging.
(d) Life imprisonment.
2. Where does Euthyphro take place?
(a) In prison.
(b) In Socrates' Thinkery.
(c) In a government office.
(d) By a river.
3. What does Socrates tell his friends and supporters after his sentence is decided?
(a) He berates them for their lack of support.
(b) He asks them to never look upon him again.
(c) He asks them to visit him and talk with him.
(d) He makes them promise to build a bigger school after his death.
4. Why did Socrates decide to worship the god that the oracle of Delphi channeled?
(a) The oracle had a correct pronouncement concerning wisdom.
(b) Socrates chose a god to worship randomly, because they don't exist, so it doesn't matter.
(c) The oracle complimented his looks.
(d) Socrates did it out of spite, because the oracle did not want Socrates to worship his god.
5. Why does the Athenian community treat Euthyphro with contempt and derision?
(a) He is putting his own father on trial.
(b) He is claiming an olive tree orchard that is not his.
(c) He stole chickens from his own brother.
(d) He frequently dresses up as a woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Athenian law, is Socrates innocent or guilty of the crimes charged to him?
2. According to Socrates in Euthyphro, why don't wise men need to consult with the gods?
3. Why doesn't Socrates try to argue about the principles of his philosophy with Crito?
4. What does Crito think Socrates displayed during his trial?
5. Aristophanes is known for using what kind of rhetoric?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)