|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Aristophanes' Clouds.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the Athenian community treat Euthyphro with contempt and derision?
(a) He is putting his own father on trial.
(b) He stole chickens from his own brother.
(c) He is claiming an olive tree orchard that is not his.
(d) He frequently dresses up as a woman.
2. What would happen if Socrates fled to a city that was well-governed?
(a) He would be a law-breaker, and suffer from the same bad reputation.
(b) He could live a life free from political ambition.
(c) He could plot his revenge.
(d) He would finally get justice.
3. Why does Socrates believe obedience to the law could not represent disrespectful behavior?
(a) Prisoners serving their sentence with honor have a certain nobility about them.
(b) Law is a great authority on earth, and should be respected.
(c) Respecting one's death sentence is respecting death itself.
(d) The law is based upon the good, without question.
4. Who are the characters in Crito?
(b) Plato, Aristotle, Socrates, Eideron, and Crito.
(c) Crito and Socrates.
(d) Crito, Socrates, and Meletus.
5. According to Socrates, when pursuing the truth, a person should defer to what authority?
(a) A social reformer.
(b) A person should not defer to any authority.
(c) A religious leader.
(d) A political leader.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Socrates compare himself to a subhuman pest?
2. What does Socrates discover when he speaks with and interviews "wise men"?
3. What do citizens depend upon for their ability to achieve excellence?
4. Why did Socrates decide to worship the god that the oracle of Delphi channeled?
5. What makes a law just, according to Socrates?
This section contains 364 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)