|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Plato's Crito.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Socrates not only challenged Athenian morality but ... ?
(a) Athenian restrictions on diet.
(b) Athenian political power.
(c) Athenian understanding of fish and water fowl.
(d) Athenian sense of purpose.
2. Why is Socrates wiser than anyone he knows?
(a) Because he knows all the best philosophers in Athens, including Plato.
(b) Because of his great understanding of physics and astronomy.
(c) Because of his powerful observational skills of the natural world.
(d) Because he knows that he knows nothing.
3. What is Socrates illustrating with his choice to stay in Athens rather than flee?
(a) His loyalty to his friends.
(b) His acceptance of the duty to obey the law.
(c) His eagerness to experience death.
(d) His innate cowardice.
4. Why does Socrates believe he may lose his trial from the very start?
(a) His divine voice foretells of doom.
(b) He knows that the jurors have been bribed.
(c) He does not possess the impressive speech skills of his accusers.
(d) He is convinced Meletus will manufacture evidence.
5. In regards to corrupting youth, what solution does Socrates see for correcting his tendencies?
(a) A small fine.
(b) Twenty lashes.
(c) Mere instruction for how to teach better.
(d) A sabbatical to Delphi.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many speeches did Socrates give in his defense during his trial in Athens?
2. What did the oracle at Delphi tell Socrates?
3. Which is NOT one of the insults lodged against Socrates by the citizens of Athens?
4. How does Socrates' respond to Crito's worry over Socrates' reputation?
5. According to Socrates in Crito, what happens when individuals disagree on the matter of obeying or disobeying laws?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)