|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two roles must be played by the same actress in Jack, or The Submission?
2. Who gave Jack his first spankings in Jack, or The Submission?
3. What city does the old man in The Chairs say collapsed?
4. What does Roberta have two of?
5. In The Chairs, what can be heard approaching in the distance?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the opening scene of Jack, or The Submission.
2. Discuss the use of language in Jack, or The Submission in relation to the other plays.
3. What happens to the character of The Chairs when their needs are met?
4. What leads to Roberta's entrance? Describe it.
5. What story does the old man tell the old woman in The Chairs? How does it end?
6. Describe the absurdism of Grandmother and Grandfather Jack.
7. Once the guests stop arriving, what does the couple do in The Chairs?
8. Describe the arrival of the emperor in The Chairs.
9. What does the orator say when he arrives?
10. How does Roberta II seduce Jack?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of "chaos versus order" in the play The Lesson.
Essay Topic 2
What is the author's overall message in these plays? What does this have to do with Absurdism and Existentialism? What is Ionesco's philosophy on life and its meaning?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the characters of the old man and the old woman in the play, The Chairs. In what ways do they differ? What are their similarities?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)