|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the old man's brother say he had, which led to their breaking apart in The Chairs?
2. From what is the bad smell, according to the old woman in The Chairs?
3. In The Chairs, what does the first guest look like?
4. What does the old woman begin to sell once the room is packed?
5. In The Chairs, What does the old man offstage suggest the first guest put down offstage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the use of language in Jack, or The Submission in relation to the other plays.
2. What actually happens at the end of Jack, or The Submission?
3. Describe the absurdism of Grandmother and Grandfather Jack.
4. What does the orator say when he arrives?
5. What leads to Roberta's entrance? Describe it.
6. How is the absurdism different in The Chairs than the other plays?
7. What happens when Roberta's veil is lifted in Jack, or The Submission?
8. Once the guests stop arriving, what does the couple do in The Chairs?
9. How does Roberta II seduce Jack?
10. What is the absurdist statement in The Chairs?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the characters of the professor in The Lesson to the old man in The Chairs. What similarities do they share? What differences?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Nazi armband in the play, The Lesson. What is the significance of this? How does its use break from typical absurdist style?
Essay Topic 3
Compare the characters of the old man and the old woman in the play, The Chairs. In what ways do they differ? What are their similarities?
This section contains 878 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)