|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In The Chairs, how old is the old man?
2. Jack's sister tells their father that Jack's behavior is the ______ of puberty.
3. Who is Jack's fiancee?
4. In Jack, or The Submission, who continuously asks, "do you want my advice?"
5. What does the old woman say her son accused them of killing in The Chairs?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Roberta II seduce Jack?
2. Discuss the use of language in Jack, or The Submission in relation to the other plays.
3. What is the reaction of the couple when the orator arrives in The Chairs? Describe him.
4. What actually happens at the end of Jack, or The Submission?
5. What does Jack say that makes his family celebrate him?
6. Once the guests stop arriving, what does the couple do in The Chairs?
7. What happens to the character of The Chairs when their needs are met?
8. Describe the basic plot of Jack, or The Submission.
9. Describe the opening images of The Chairs.
10. What leads to Roberta's entrance? Describe it.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the meaning of the invisible guests in The Chairs. How do they compare with the orator? Are they real or imaginary?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the settings of The Bald Soprano and The Chairs. How are they similar? How are they different? What symbols or motifs exist in each?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the Nazi armband in the play, The Lesson. What is the significance of this? How does its use break from typical absurdist style?
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)