|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Mr. Martin leave his hometown in The Bald Soprano?
2. What is another word for phonemes?
3. What is the maid's name in The Bald Soprano?
4. The professor states that if you utter several sounds at an accelerated speed, they will do what?
5. Who tells a story about seeing a man in the underground reading a newspaper in The Bald Soprano?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the relationship between Mr. and Mrs. Martin when they "meet."
2. What is the beginning conversation between the Smiths and the Martins like?
3. What is the effect of reading the stage directions before the action in The Lesson?
4. Discuss tension and satire thematically in The Bald Soprano.
5. What do the Smiths and Martins do after the fire chief has left?
6. Why are the initial stage directions atypical in The Lesson?
7. What does the maid interrupt the professor and pupil for?
8. Describe the transitions of the professor and the pupil in The Lesson.
9. How does the ending of The Lesson relate to the other plays' endings in the collection?
10. What does the ending of The Bald Soprano mean?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare the characters of the professor in The Lesson to the old man in The Chairs. What similarities do they share? What differences?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the characters of the old man and the old woman in the play, The Chairs. In what ways do they differ? What are their similarities?
Essay Topic 3
What is the author's overall message in these plays? What does this have to do with Absurdism and Existentialism? What is Ionesco's philosophy on life and its meaning?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)