|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who, in the course of The Lesson, loses gaiety to become withdrawn and morose?
2. What does the pupil say her parents are fairly?
3. Mr. Smith, in The Bald Soprano, notes that they always give the age of death of deceased persons, but not so of whom?
4. What do the Smith's discuss about dinner in The Bald Soprano?
5. In attempting a partial doctorate, the professor says he must attempt to instruct the pupil in what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What object does the professor take from the shelf? What does he do with it?
2. What is notable about the title of The Bald Soprano?
3. Describe the fire chief's arrival in The Bald Soprano.
4. What does the fire chief say upon leaving? How does this tie into the title of The Bald Soprano?
5. What is Absurdism and how does it inhabit the four plays of the book?
6. Describe the professor's discourse on philology.
7. What is the beginning conversation between the Smiths and the Martins like?
8. What does the maid interrupt the professor and pupil for?
9. Describe the distinguishing qualities of the set and the Smiths in The Bald Soprano.
10. How does the professor attempt to teach the pupil arithmetic?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Absurdism and how it applies to all four plays from the collection.
Essay Topic 2
Compare the characters of the professor in The Lesson to the old man in The Chairs. What similarities do they share? What differences?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the meaning of the invisible guests in The Chairs. How do they compare with the orator? Are they real or imaginary?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)