|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The maid tells the professor it is the what time he has killed his pupils?
2. Where is Mrs. Martin originally from in The Bald Soprano?
3. The professor states in The Lesson, "It takes years and years to learn to _____. Thanks to science, we can achieve this in a few minutes."
4. In The Bald Soprano, who says, "you are both partly right. When the doorbell rings, sometimes there is someone, other times there is no one"?
5. What is Bobby Watson's wife's name in The Bald Soprano?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the stage directions in the beginning of The Lesson detail?
2. How does the professor attempt to teach the pupil arithmetic?
3. Describe the professor's discourse on philology.
4. What is the beginning conversation between the Smiths and the Martins like?
5. What story does Mary tell the Smiths and Martins?
6. Discuss tension and satire thematically in The Bald Soprano.
7. What does Mary say in her aside to the audience in The Bald Soprano?
8. Which objects in The Lesson are "real?" Which are not?
9. What is similar about The Bald Soprano to the other plays in the book?
10. How does the ending of The Lesson relate to the other plays' endings in the collection?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the author's overall message in these plays? What does this have to do with Absurdism and Existentialism? What is Ionesco's philosophy on life and its meaning?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the settings of The Bald Soprano and The Chairs. How are they similar? How are they different? What symbols or motifs exist in each?
Essay Topic 3
Explain symbolism and how it applies to the doorbell and clock in the play The Bald Soprano.
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)