|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Mr. Martin leave his hometown in The Bald Soprano?
2. What does the fire chief have orders to do in The Bald Soprano?
3. How long has the professor lived in this town in The Lesson?
4. What does the professor tell the pupil he is going to do about her ears in the end of The Lesson?
5. In The Bald Soprano, Mr. Smith claims that only what is honest in England?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the fire chief's arrival in The Bald Soprano.
2. Describe the transitions of the professor and the pupil in The Lesson.
3. What happens in the beginning of The Lesson? What is the setting?
4. What do the maid and the professor do at the end of The Lesson?
5. What initial conversation takes place between the professor and the pupil in The Lesson?
6. What story does Mary tell the Smiths and Martins?
7. Discuss the differences between The Bald Soprano and the other plays in the collection.
8. Why are the initial stage directions atypical in The Lesson?
9. Discuss tension and satire thematically in The Bald Soprano.
10. What do the Smiths and Martins do after the fire chief has left?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of submission and conformity in the play Jack, or The Submission. How does this theme manifest itself?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the Nazi armband in the play, The Lesson. What is the significance of this? How does its use break from typical absurdist style?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of invisible versus real objects in the play The Lesson. What is the significance of each?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)