|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the third guest's husband's occupation in The Chairs?
2. What does the old woman say you use a leaf of beef, an hour of flour, a little gastric sugar?
(c) Venison l'ambret.
(d) Crepes de Chine.
3. What do the stage directions indicate about the newspaper men who arrive in The Chairs?
(a) They are short.
(b) They are elderly.
(c) They are fat.
(d) They are tall.
4. What does Jack say which causes his family to rush into his room with joy?
(a) "I love you--please come back!"
(b) "I adore hashed brown potatoes!"
(c) "I'm going to the diner!"
(d) "I am an unworthy pig!"
5. In The Chairs, what can be heard approaching in the distance?
(a) A train.
(b) A boat.
(c) A carriage.
(d) A car.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Father Robert comment about Roberta's feet?
2. What color stockings is the old lady wearing in The Chairs?
3. Jack's sister claims she's not, he's not, she's not, nor Jack is not a what?
4. The old man in the Chairs claims, "all my enemies have been ____ and all my friends have betrayed me."
5. Who in Jack, or The Submission mostly just sings?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Jack's first words? What leads up to this?
2. Describe the arrival of the emperor in The Chairs.
3. What is the absurdist statement in The Chairs?
4. In what way does the old woman's flattery contradict itself in The Chairs?
5. Discuss the similarities and differences between The Chairs and the other plays.
6. What does Jack's sister tell him which leads to his eruption?
7. What does Jack say that makes his family celebrate him?
8. Once the guests stop arriving, what does the couple do in The Chairs?
9. Describe the main characters' interaction with their first guest in The Chairs.
10. What does the orator say when he arrives?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)