|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is another word for phonemes?
2. How long has the professor lived in this town in The Lesson?
(a) 15 years.
(b) 30 years.
(c) 20 years.
(d) 5 years.
3. Where has Mr. Martin resided since coming to London in The Bald Soprano?
(a) Bromfield Street.
(b) Smith Street.
(c) Isleydale Avenue.
(d) Martin Lane.
4. What does the professor go and take out of the drawer in the end of The Lesson?
(a) A knive.
(b) A pencil.
(c) Some chalk.
(d) A rope.
5. When the pupil begins to seem ill, what does she say is wrong with her?
(c) Feeling faint.
(d) Upset stomach.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the professor wear when entering in The Lesson?
2. In The Lesson, the pupil says, "I know my ______, don't I, Professor?"
3. What story does Mr. Smith tell in The Bald Soprano?
4. When did Mrs. Martin leave her hometown in The Bald Soprano?
5. Who, in the course of The Lesson, loses gaiety to become withdrawn and morose?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is notable about the title of The Bald Soprano?
2. How does the professor attempt to teach the pupil arithmetic?
3. What initial conversation takes place between the professor and the pupil in The Lesson?
4. What do the Smiths and Martins respond to the fire chief? What does he do afterward?
5. What does the fire chief say upon leaving? How does this tie into the title of The Bald Soprano?
6. What do the Smiths and Martins do after the fire chief has left?
7. Describe the professor's discourse on philology.
8. How is The Lesson absurd? How is it realistic?
9. What does the professor do after the death of the pupil?
10. Why are the initial stage directions atypical in The Lesson?
This section contains 895 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)