|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In attempting a partial doctorate, the professor says he must attempt to instruct the pupil in what?
(a) Linguistics and comparative philology.
(b) Geography and mathematics.
(c) Anatomy and geography.
(d) Biology and horticulture.
2. The professor states in The Lesson, "every tongue is at bottom nothing but _____."
3. What does the professor suggest they begin with in The Lesson?
4. What guests have arrived in The Bald Soprano?
(a) The Watsons.
(b) The Martins.
(c) The Websters.
(d) The Smiths.
5. What does the professor go and take out of the drawer in the end of The Lesson?
(a) A rope.
(b) Some chalk.
(c) A knive.
(d) A pencil.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mr. Smith in The Bald Soprano, all the Bobby Watsons are what?
2. The pupil in The Lesson says that she wants to qualify for the first what?
3. What is the first story told by the fire chief in The Bald Soprano?
4. How high does the pupil initially say she can count in The Lesson?
5. What is the name of the Martins' daughter in The Bald Soprano?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Smiths and Martins do after the fire chief has left?
2. Describe the doorbell in The Bald Soprano.
3. What does the maid interrupt the professor and pupil for?
4. What is similar about The Bald Soprano to the other plays in the book?
5. What is the beginning conversation between the Smiths and the Martins like?
6. What does the ending of The Bald Soprano mean?
7. Describe the distinguishing qualities of the set and the Smiths in The Bald Soprano.
8. Discuss the differences between The Bald Soprano and the other plays in the collection.
9. How is The Lesson absurd? How is it realistic?
10. Discuss tension and satire thematically in The Bald Soprano.
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)