|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Roberta have two of?
2. In The Chairs, What does the old man offstage suggest the first guest put down offstage?
(a) Her raincoat.
(b) Her dog.
(c) Her suitcase.
(d) Her fur.
3. What was it they used to call the third arrival in The Chairs?
(a) La Belle.
(b) Mademoiselle Marie.
4. In The Chairs, the old man says, "I wanted to cross the ____, and there were no more _____."
5. How many years have the old man and old woman been married in The Chairs?
(a) 50 years.
(b) 60 years.
(c) 75 years.
(d) 80 years.
6. The old man says to Belle, "will you be my Isolde and let me be your _____?"
7. Who taught Jack to roll his r's?
(a) Mother Jack.
(b) Roberta I.
(c) Father Jack.
(d) Father Robert.
8. What did Mother Jack teach Jack to do when he wanted to be stung as a child?
(a) Drink milk.
(b) Rub his knees with honey.
(c) Rub his knees with nettles.
(d) Catch bees.
9. What does Mother Jack call Father Jack in Jack, or The Submission?
10. Who is one of the last guests to arrive in The Chairs, causing a blast of bright light?
(a) The King.
(b) The Pope.
(c) The Goddess.
(d) The Emperor.
11. The old man in The Chairs states, "talk about the dignity of man! At least let's try to save face. Dignity is only ______."
(a) Skin deep.
(b) A generality.
(c) A lack of brutality.
(d) A shallow pool.
12. What do the old man and old woman run out of in The Chairs?
13. Who has the old man hired in The Chairs?
(a) A Stage Hand.
(b) An Orator.
(c) A Janitor.
(d) A Mover.
14. How many does the old man tell the colonel he killed at war in The Chairs?
15. What does Grandmother Jack tell Grandfather Jack to keep an eye on as they spy him leaving his room?
(a) His chair.
(b) His window.
(c) His telephone.
(d) His countenance.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Grandfather Jack referred to as?
2. Jack exclaims upon seeing Roberta's face that it's not enough--he wants one with what?
3. What does Mother Jack do to Roberta when she enters?
4. Jack's sister refers to her father's "big hairy foot full of" what?
5. Jack's father exclaims, "I had the unfortunate idea of wishing for a son and not a _______!"
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)