|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Mr. Smith, in The Bald Soprano, notes that they always give the age of death of deceased persons, but not so of whom?
(a) The newly born.
(b) The French.
(c) The engaged couples.
(d) The children.
2. The pupil in The Lesson says that she wants to qualify for the first what?
(a) Bar exams.
(b) Doctor's orals.
(c) College admissions.
3. What story does Mr. Smith tell in The Bald Soprano?
(a) "The Noose and the Rope."
(b) "The Snake and the Fox."
(c) "The Dungeon and the Dwarf."
(d) "The Dog and the Cow."
4. What does the professor suggest they begin with in The Lesson?
5. What does the professor say of the weather in The Lesson?
(a) It is raining.
(b) It is foggy and gray.
(c) It's not raining and not snowing either.
(d) It's snowing.
6. What does the pupil say her parents want her to do, in addition to getting an education?
(c) Learn another language.
7. Who is at the door when Mrs. Smith first goes to answer the doorbell in The Bald Soprano?
(a) Mr. Martin.
(b) No one.
(d) Mrs. Martin.
8. What did the Smiths' son want to drink at dinner?
9. What do the Smith's discuss about dinner in The Bald Soprano?
(a) The potatoes.
(b) The lamb.
(c) The cobbler.
(d) The eggs.
10. What does the professor tell the pupil he is going to do about her ears in the end of The Lesson?
(a) Kiss them.
(b) Pierce them.
(c) Tear them off.
(d) Swab them with cotton.
11. Who tells a story about seeing a man in the underground reading a newspaper in The Bald Soprano?
(a) Mr. Smith.
(b) Mrs. Smith.
(d) Mr. Martin.
12. What is Mrs. Martin's first name in The Bald Soprano?
13. Where is Mr. Martin originally from in The Bald Soprano?
14. What, according to the professor, are so closely related as to be true second cousins?
(a) Romantic languages.
(b) French and Latin.
(c) Spanish and French.
(d) Neo-Spanish languages.
15. What does the pupil say she doesn't know all of yet and has trouble learning them in The Lesson?
(a) Spanish cities.
(b) World geography.
(d) French cities.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is the maid in The Lesson?
2. Who, in the course of The Lesson, loses gaiety to become withdrawn and morose?
3. What does the professor write on to illustrate numbers to the pupil?
4. Who is darning socks in the opening scene of The Bald Soprano?
5. What language does the professor say that Turkish is very close to?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)