|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why has Solness kept Kaja employed?
2. How does Hedda describe her vacation?
3. Which of the Master Builder's assistants is in love with him?
4. Whom does Hedda "playfully" shoot at?
5. Why is Tesman in competition with Lovborg?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ragnar's ambition?
2. How did Solness and Aline's children die?
3. What are Hedda's feelings about Tesman's aunts?
4. Why does Hedda refrain from visiting Aunt Rina?
5. What does Hedda admit she wants control of?
6. How does Hedda convince Lovborg to go to the party?
7. How does Hedda initially react to the news of Lovborg's suicide?
8. Why has Hilde sought Solness out?
9. Ultimately, why does Solness finally grant Ragnar's request?
10. How does Hedda end up with Lovborg's manuscript?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of subtext in HEDDA GABLER. Does this differ from the other plays in the collection? Why or why not? What events or situations in Hedda Gabler are not stated, simply implied? How does this use of subtext contribute to the overall effect of the play from start to finish?
Essay Topic 2
Hedda repeatedly mentions seeing Lovborg with vine leaves in his hair. What do the vine leaves represent for Hedda? Are there any other references to vine leaves in literary history that come to mind? Literally, in today's world, what could vine leaves represent? How does this identification tie in with Lovborg's struggles to right himself?
Essay Topic 3
In GHOSTS, Oswald and Mrs. Alving cannot escape Captain Alving's sins. Has Mrs. Alving contributed to their problems by not being truthful with Oswald, Pastor Manders, Regine, or the community? Are the characters ultimately able to escape their pasts? How is this theme echoed in some of the other works in the collection?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)