|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What possession does Aunt Julle return to Tesman?
2. Why does Hedda tell Tesman she burned the manuscript?
3. What does Aunt Julle hope will fill her time in the future?
4. What is Hilde's main memory of Solness?
5. Why won't Hedda go with Tesman to Aunt Julle's?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Solness' relationship with Kaja?
2. Why is Solness afraid of youth?
3. Ultimately, why does Solness finally grant Ragnar's request?
4. How does Hedda initially react to the news of Lovborg's suicide?
5. What is Ragnar's ambition?
6. What does Ragnar ask of Solness, since his father is close to death?
7. How does Hedda end up with Lovborg's manuscript?
8. What does Mrs. Elvsted confess to Hedda?
9. Why is Ejlert unable to return Mrs. Elvsted's love sufficiently?
10. Why does Hedda tell Tesman she burned the manuscript?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Solness's fear of youth in THE MASTER BUILDER. Why does he refuse at first to give Ragnar any words of praise? Why is he so intrigued when Hilde abruptly enters his life? How has Solness treated Brovik, his original master? What is ironic about Solness' death?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the relationship between Nora and Torvald and Mrs. Linde and Krogstad in A DOLL'S HOUSE. Which couple experiences the miracle that Nora has so hoped for? How does Torvald's behavior contribute to Nora's ultimate decision to leave him?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the use of subtext in HEDDA GABLER. Does this differ from the other plays in the collection? Why or why not? What events or situations in Hedda Gabler are not stated, simply implied? How does this use of subtext contribute to the overall effect of the play from start to finish?
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)