|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the most important element to Aline in her life?
2. What news does Tesman's note bring?
3. What does Lovborg tell Mrs. Elvsted about the manuscript?
4. How long was Hedda and Jorgen's honeymoon?
5. Which of the Master Builder's assistants is in love with him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hedda refrain from visiting Aunt Rina?
2. Describe Solness' relationship with Kaja?
3. What does Mrs. Elvsted confess to Hedda?
4. What are Hedda's feelings about Tesman's aunts?
5. What does Ragnar ask of Solness, since his father is close to death?
6. What does Hedda claim spurred her original interest in Ejlert Lovborg, years ago?
7. How does Lovborg take his leave of Mrs. Elvsted?
8. Why has Hilde sought Solness out?
9. What are the implications to Hedda of Brack knowing Lovborg died by one of her pistols?
10. Why is Ejlert unable to return Mrs. Elvsted's love sufficiently?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of subtext in HEDDA GABLER. Does this differ from the other plays in the collection? Why or why not? What events or situations in Hedda Gabler are not stated, simply implied? How does this use of subtext contribute to the overall effect of the play from start to finish?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Mrs. Linde of A DOLL'S HOUSE and Mrs. Elvsted of HEDDA GABLER. How are these characters similar? How are they different?Do they play similar roles in the development of the action of their respective plays? How do they each relate to the main characters of their plays, namely Nora and Hedda? What role do Mrs. Linde and Mrs. Elvsted fulfill thematically?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Mrs. Alving's "ghosts." When do they appear? As whom do they appear? What echoes of her past does she see in the present? Is she able to escape any of her past experiences? What is her character's arc throughout the play? Be sure to provide textual examples.
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)