|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Mrs. Elvsted compare the manuscript?
2. How does Hedda die?
3. Whom does Hedda "playfully" shoot at?
4. What member of Tesman's family has passed away at the beginning of Act 4?
5. What new responsibility of Hedda's does Mr. Brack refer to?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mrs. Elvsted confess to Hedda?
2. Why does Hedda refrain from visiting Aunt Rina?
3. How does Hedda convince Lovborg to go to the party?
4. Why is Solness afraid of youth?
5. Ultimately, why does Solness finally grant Ragnar's request?
6. What does Hedda claim spurred her original interest in Ejlert Lovborg, years ago?
7. What does Hedda admit she wants control of?
8. Describe Solness' relationship with Kaja?
9. How does Hedda initially react to the news of Lovborg's suicide?
10. What does Ragnar ask of Solness, since his father is close to death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Solness's fear of youth in THE MASTER BUILDER. Why does he refuse at first to give Ragnar any words of praise? Why is he so intrigued when Hilde abruptly enters his life? How has Solness treated Brovik, his original master? What is ironic about Solness' death?
Essay Topic 2
Choose two of the four works in the collection. How does morality shape the events of the play? Are there immoral characters that learn morality, and vice versa? Is Ibsen making a statement about morality, and if so, what does he wish to convey? Is the moral choice usually the socially acceptable choice in the works? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Dr. Rank of A DOLL'S HOUSE and Mr. Brack in HEDDA GABLER. How are these characters similar? How are they different? Do they play similar roles in the development of the action of their respective plays? How do they each relate to the main characters of their plays, namely Nora and Hedda? Do these characters echo the intentions and situations of Nora and Hedda? Why or why not?
This section contains 615 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)