|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Mrs. Elvsted compare the manuscript?
2. What will Tesman and Mrs. Elvsted use to reconstruct the manuscript?
3. What faux pas does Hedda commit against Mrs. Elvsted.
4. What new responsibility of Hedda's does Mr. Brack refer to?
5. What instrument does Hedda raucously play as Tesman and Mrs. Elvsted try to rewrite the manuscript?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Hedda convince Lovborg to go to the party?
2. Why does Hedda burn the manuscript?
3. What does Hedda admit she wants control of?
4. What does Mrs. Elvsted confess to Hedda?
5. What is Ragnar's ambition?
6. Why does Hedda tell Tesman she burned the manuscript?
7. What are Hedda's feelings about Tesman's aunts?
8. How did Solness and Aline's children die?
9. Why is Ejlert unable to return Mrs. Elvsted's love sufficiently?
10. What does Ragnar ask of Solness, since his father is close to death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In GHOSTS, Oswald and Mrs. Alving cannot escape Captain Alving's sins. Has Mrs. Alving contributed to their problems by not being truthful with Oswald, Pastor Manders, Regine, or the community? Are the characters ultimately able to escape their pasts? How is this theme echoed in some of the other works in the collection?
Essay Topic 2
Consider two of the four plays in the collection. How are the main characters similar? How are they different? What are the goals of the character and how do they attempt to achieve them? Are there common themes in both works? Which of the plays was written first? Are there marked differences in the thematic and plot elements used? Be sure to include properly cited quotations to enhance the argument.
Essay Topic 3
Examine Pastor Manders of GHOSTS. Though he is the spiritual figurehead of the community, is he in denial of his true nature? Can any conclusions be drawn in his behavior toward Mrs. Alving? Toward Regine? When he finds out that Engstrand lied to him, how does he react? Why does he agree to finance Engstrand's sailor's home? What is his main concern?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)