|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Hedda described in the stage directions?
2. What month of the year is it upon Hedda and Jorgen's return?
3. What news does Tesman's note bring?
4. What is Lovborg's new book about?
5. Who, probably, actually is the woman who inspired Lovborg's book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Hedda's feelings about Tesman's aunts?
2. What does Mr. Brack hint will soon keep Hedda busy, fulfilling her life and abating her incurable boredom?
3. What does Hedda claim spurred her original interest in Ejlert Lovborg, years ago?
4. Why has Hilde sought Solness out?
5. What does Hedda admit she wants control of?
6. What are the implications to Hedda of Brack knowing Lovborg died by one of her pistols?
7. How does Hedda convince Lovborg to go to the party?
8. Why is Ejlert unable to return Mrs. Elvsted's love sufficiently?
9. How does Hedda end up with Lovborg's manuscript?
10. What does Solness decide to do in honor of the new house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Hedda Gabler considers herself a coward. Why does she have that impression? What is she afraid of? What does she truly desire? Why does her obsession with Ejlert Lovborg consume her? She encourages Ejlert Lovborg to go to the party, despite protestations from Mrs. Elvsted and Lovborg himself declining. Why is she trying to control his destiny?
Essay Topic 2
In GHOSTS, Oswald and Mrs. Alving cannot escape Captain Alving's sins. Has Mrs. Alving contributed to their problems by not being truthful with Oswald, Pastor Manders, Regine, or the community? Are the characters ultimately able to escape their pasts? How is this theme echoed in some of the other works in the collection?
Essay Topic 3
In all the plays in the collection, there is a common theme: the inability to escape one's past. How does this theme play out in each of the four works? Which characters are the most affected by their denials of their pasts? What are the ultimate consequences in each of the works?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)