|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Ragnar want to marry?
2. Which of the Master Builder's assistants is in love with him?
3. Why was Lovborg arrested?
4. Why does Hedda goad Lovborg into going to the party?
5. What instrument does Hedda raucously play as Tesman and Mrs. Elvsted try to rewrite the manuscript?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Hedda tell Tesman she burned the manuscript?
2. Why has Hilde sought Solness out?
3. What are Hedda's feelings about Tesman's aunts?
4. How does Lovborg take his leave of Mrs. Elvsted?
5. What does Mrs. Elvsted confess to Hedda?
6. What are the implications to Hedda of Brack knowing Lovborg died by one of her pistols?
7. What does Hedda admit she wants control of?
8. How did Solness and Aline's children die?
9. Why is Ejlert unable to return Mrs. Elvsted's love sufficiently?
10. Ultimately, why does Solness finally grant Ragnar's request?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the relationship between Nora and Torvald and Mrs. Linde and Krogstad in A DOLL'S HOUSE. Which couple experiences the miracle that Nora has so hoped for? How does Torvald's behavior contribute to Nora's ultimate decision to leave him?
Essay Topic 2
In GHOSTS, Oswald and Mrs. Alving cannot escape Captain Alving's sins. Has Mrs. Alving contributed to their problems by not being truthful with Oswald, Pastor Manders, Regine, or the community? Are the characters ultimately able to escape their pasts? How is this theme echoed in some of the other works in the collection?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Solness's fear of youth in THE MASTER BUILDER. Why does he refuse at first to give Ragnar any words of praise? Why is he so intrigued when Hilde abruptly enters his life? How has Solness treated Brovik, his original master? What is ironic about Solness' death?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)