|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What new responsibility of Hedda's does Mr. Brack refer to?
2. What does Ragnar request of Solness just before Brovik's death?
3. To what does Mrs. Elvsted compare the manuscript?
4. Whom does Hedda "playfully" shoot at?
5. What is Lovborg's new book about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the factors that, combined, mean such despair for Hedda that she must end her life?
2. Ultimately, why does Solness finally grant Ragnar's request?
3. Why does Hedda refrain from visiting Aunt Rina?
4. What does Mr. Brack hint will soon keep Hedda busy, fulfilling her life and abating her incurable boredom?
5. How does Lovborg take his leave of Mrs. Elvsted?
6. What imminent threat does Tesman face now that Lovborg has a successful book?
7. What does Hedda admit she wants control of?
8. Why is Ejlert unable to return Mrs. Elvsted's love sufficiently?
9. What does Hedda claim spurred her original interest in Ejlert Lovborg, years ago?
10. Why is Solness afraid of youth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Dr. Rank of A DOLL'S HOUSE and Mr. Brack in HEDDA GABLER. How are these characters similar? How are they different? Do they play similar roles in the development of the action of their respective plays? How do they each relate to the main characters of their plays, namely Nora and Hedda? Do these characters echo the intentions and situations of Nora and Hedda? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In A DOLL'S HOUSE, Ibsen makes ample use of foreshadowing. Cite at least three of these examples and explain the significance to the plot, characters, and play. Be sure to include correctly cited quotations to enhance your points.
Essay Topic 3
Consider two of the four plays in the collection. How are the main characters similar? How are they different? What are the goals of the character and how do they attempt to achieve them? Are there common themes in both works? Which of the plays was written first? Are there marked differences in the thematic and plot elements used? Be sure to include properly cited quotations to enhance the argument.
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)