|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what does Solness compare Hilde upon her entrance?
2. Why did Hedda mention she liked the villa?
3. What are Hedda's feelings about Lovborg's suicide?
4. Where is Mr. Lovborg invited upon his arrival to the Tesmans'?
5. Why won't Hedda go with Tesman to Aunt Julle's?
Short Essay Questions
1. What imminent threat does Tesman face now that Lovborg has a successful book?
2. What does Mrs. Elvsted confess to Hedda?
3. Why does Hedda burn the manuscript?
4. What does Ragnar ask of Solness, since his father is close to death?
5. What does Mr. Brack hint will soon keep Hedda busy, fulfilling her life and abating her incurable boredom?
6. How does Hedda convince Lovborg to go to the party?
7. Ultimately, why does Solness finally grant Ragnar's request?
8. What does Solness decide to do in honor of the new house?
9. How did Solness and Aline's children die?
10. How does Lovborg take his leave of Mrs. Elvsted?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of personal will in THE MASTER BUILDER. Which characters believe they can will events into existence? How have these wills affected their lives/pasts/presents? In a way, could Solness's death be a punishment from God for trying to control his own destiny?
Essay Topic 2
Hedda Gabler considers herself a coward. Why does she have that impression? What is she afraid of? What does she truly desire? Why does her obsession with Ejlert Lovborg consume her? She encourages Ejlert Lovborg to go to the party, despite protestations from Mrs. Elvsted and Lovborg himself declining. Why is she trying to control his destiny?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Mrs. Alving's "ghosts." When do they appear? As whom do they appear? What echoes of her past does she see in the present? Is she able to escape any of her past experiences? What is her character's arc throughout the play? Be sure to provide textual examples.
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)