|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Hedda tell Tesman she burned the manuscript?
2. What possession of Hedda's does she want to keep, despite the fact that it doesn't match their home?
3. By the end of Act 4, what has Hedda lost?
4. Who does Tesman think is the woman who inspired Lovborg's book?
5. Why did Hedda marry Tesman?
Short Essay Questions
1. Ultimately, why does Solness finally grant Ragnar's request?
2. Describe Solness' relationship with Kaja?
3. What is Ragnar's ambition?
4. What does Mrs. Elvsted confess to Hedda?
5. How does Hedda end up with Lovborg's manuscript?
6. What are Hedda's feelings about Tesman's aunts?
7. What does Solness decide to do in honor of the new house?
8. What does Hedda claim spurred her original interest in Ejlert Lovborg, years ago?
9. What are the implications to Hedda of Brack knowing Lovborg died by one of her pistols?
10. What does Hedda admit she wants control of?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose two of the four works in the collection. How does morality shape the events of the play? Are there immoral characters that learn morality, and vice versa? Is Ibsen making a statement about morality, and if so, what does he wish to convey? Is the moral choice usually the socially acceptable choice in the works? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of subtext in HEDDA GABLER. Does this differ from the other plays in the collection? Why or why not? What events or situations in Hedda Gabler are not stated, simply implied? How does this use of subtext contribute to the overall effect of the play from start to finish?
Essay Topic 3
Consider two of the four plays in the collection. How are the main characters similar? How are they different? What are the goals of the character and how do they attempt to achieve them? Are there common themes in both works? Which of the plays was written first? Are there marked differences in the thematic and plot elements used? Be sure to include properly cited quotations to enhance the argument.
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)