|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What object did Aunt Julle purchase to impress Hedda?
2. With what type of person is Solness prone to having relationships?
3. By the end of Act 4, what has Hedda lost?
4. What does Aunt Julle hope will fill her time in the future?
5. Who does Ragnar want to marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mr. Brack hint will soon keep Hedda busy, fulfilling her life and abating her incurable boredom?
2. How does Hedda convince Lovborg to go to the party?
3. Describe Solness' relationship with Kaja?
4. Why does Hedda tell Tesman she burned the manuscript?
5. How does Lovborg take his leave of Mrs. Elvsted?
6. What does Hedda claim spurred her original interest in Ejlert Lovborg, years ago?
7. What are the factors that, combined, mean such despair for Hedda that she must end her life?
8. Why does Hedda refrain from visiting Aunt Rina?
9. What does Hedda admit she wants control of?
10. Why is Ejlert unable to return Mrs. Elvsted's love sufficiently?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In all the plays in the collection, there is a common theme: the inability to escape one's past. How does this theme play out in each of the four works? Which characters are the most affected by their denials of their pasts? What are the ultimate consequences in each of the works?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Mrs. Alving's "ghosts." When do they appear? As whom do they appear? What echoes of her past does she see in the present? Is she able to escape any of her past experiences? What is her character's arc throughout the play? Be sure to provide textual examples.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of personal will in THE MASTER BUILDER. Which characters believe they can will events into existence? How have these wills affected their lives/pasts/presents? In a way, could Solness's death be a punishment from God for trying to control his own destiny?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)