|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Tesman in competition with Lovborg?
2. What does Ragnar request of Solness just before Brovik's death?
3. Why has Solness kept Kaja employed?
4. Which of the Master Builder's assistants is in love with him?
5. Why has Hilde come?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Hedda's feelings about Tesman's aunts?
2. How does Hedda convince Lovborg to go to the party?
3. What does Hedda claim spurred her original interest in Ejlert Lovborg, years ago?
4. How does Lovborg take his leave of Mrs. Elvsted?
5. Describe Solness' relationship with Kaja?
6. How does Hedda end up with Lovborg's manuscript?
7. What is Ragnar's ambition?
8. Why does Hedda refrain from visiting Aunt Rina?
9. Why is Solness afraid of youth?
10. Why does Hedda tell Tesman she burned the manuscript?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose two of the four works in the collection. How does morality shape the events of the play? Are there immoral characters that learn morality, and vice versa? Is Ibsen making a statement about morality, and if so, what does he wish to convey? Is the moral choice usually the socially acceptable choice in the works? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In GHOSTS, Oswald and Mrs. Alving cannot escape Captain Alving's sins. Has Mrs. Alving contributed to their problems by not being truthful with Oswald, Pastor Manders, Regine, or the community? Are the characters ultimately able to escape their pasts? How is this theme echoed in some of the other works in the collection?
Essay Topic 3
Compare Mrs. Linde of A DOLL'S HOUSE and Mrs. Elvsted of HEDDA GABLER. How are these characters similar? How are they different?Do they play similar roles in the development of the action of their respective plays? How do they each relate to the main characters of their plays, namely Nora and Hedda? What role do Mrs. Linde and Mrs. Elvsted fulfill thematically?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)