|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What papers is Solness flipping through?
2. What new responsibility of Hedda's does Mr. Brack refer to?
3. Why is Tesman in competition with Lovborg?
4. What prized possession was passed to Hedda from her father?
5. What faux pas does Hedda commit against Mrs. Elvsted.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mr. Brack hint will soon keep Hedda busy, fulfilling her life and abating her incurable boredom?
2. Why does Hedda tell Tesman she burned the manuscript?
3. Ultimately, why does Solness finally grant Ragnar's request?
4. Why is Ejlert unable to return Mrs. Elvsted's love sufficiently?
5. What imminent threat does Tesman face now that Lovborg has a successful book?
6. What are Hedda's feelings about Tesman's aunts?
7. What does Hedda claim spurred her original interest in Ejlert Lovborg, years ago?
8. What does Mrs. Elvsted confess to Hedda?
9. How does Lovborg take his leave of Mrs. Elvsted?
10. What is Ragnar's ambition?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Pastor Manders of GHOSTS. Though he is the spiritual figurehead of the community, is he in denial of his true nature? Can any conclusions be drawn in his behavior toward Mrs. Alving? Toward Regine? When he finds out that Engstrand lied to him, how does he react? Why does he agree to finance Engstrand's sailor's home? What is his main concern?
Essay Topic 2
In GHOSTS, Oswald and Mrs. Alving cannot escape Captain Alving's sins. Has Mrs. Alving contributed to their problems by not being truthful with Oswald, Pastor Manders, Regine, or the community? Are the characters ultimately able to escape their pasts? How is this theme echoed in some of the other works in the collection?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Solness's fear of youth in THE MASTER BUILDER. Why does he refuse at first to give Ragnar any words of praise? Why is he so intrigued when Hilde abruptly enters his life? How has Solness treated Brovik, his original master? What is ironic about Solness' death?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)