|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to the children?
2. Why has Solness kept Kaja employed?
3. Where does Tesman request for Mrs. Elvsted to take up residence?
4. Where is Mr. Lovborg invited upon his arrival to the Tesmans'?
5. How does Hedda describe her vacation?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Ejlert unable to return Mrs. Elvsted's love sufficiently?
2. What is Ragnar's ambition?
3. Describe Solness' relationship with Kaja?
4. What does Mr. Brack hint will soon keep Hedda busy, fulfilling her life and abating her incurable boredom?
5. Why does Hedda refrain from visiting Aunt Rina?
6. Ultimately, why does Solness finally grant Ragnar's request?
7. What does Ragnar ask of Solness, since his father is close to death?
8. What does Mrs. Elvsted confess to Hedda?
9. How does Lovborg take his leave of Mrs. Elvsted?
10. What imminent threat does Tesman face now that Lovborg has a successful book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Pastor Manders of GHOSTS. Though he is the spiritual figurehead of the community, is he in denial of his true nature? Can any conclusions be drawn in his behavior toward Mrs. Alving? Toward Regine? When he finds out that Engstrand lied to him, how does he react? Why does he agree to finance Engstrand's sailor's home? What is his main concern?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of personal will in THE MASTER BUILDER. Which characters believe they can will events into existence? How have these wills affected their lives/pasts/presents? In a way, could Solness's death be a punishment from God for trying to control his own destiny?
Essay Topic 3
Choose two of the four works in the collection. How does morality shape the events of the play? Are there immoral characters that learn morality, and vice versa? Is Ibsen making a statement about morality, and if so, what does he wish to convey? Is the moral choice usually the socially acceptable choice in the works? Why or why not?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)