|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With what has Ejlert Lovborg recently had success?
2. What month of the year is it upon Hedda and Jorgen's return?
3. Who does Tesman think is the woman who inspired Lovborg's book?
4. Which of the assistants was once the Master Builder?
5. How does Hedda die?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Solness afraid of youth?
2. Why does Hedda burn the manuscript?
3. How does Hedda end up with Lovborg's manuscript?
4. Ultimately, why does Solness finally grant Ragnar's request?
5. What does Ragnar ask of Solness, since his father is close to death?
6. Why does Hedda tell Tesman she burned the manuscript?
7. How does Lovborg take his leave of Mrs. Elvsted?
8. What does Mrs. Elvsted confess to Hedda?
9. What are Hedda's feelings about Tesman's aunts?
10. How did Solness and Aline's children die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Mrs. Alving's "ghosts." When do they appear? As whom do they appear? What echoes of her past does she see in the present? Is she able to escape any of her past experiences? What is her character's arc throughout the play? Be sure to provide textual examples.
Essay Topic 2
In A DOLL'S HOUSE, Ibsen makes ample use of foreshadowing. Cite at least three of these examples and explain the significance to the plot, characters, and play. Be sure to include correctly cited quotations to enhance your points.
Essay Topic 3
Examine Solness' death in THE MASTER BUILDER. Is his death the will of God? The foolish accident of a young man trying to impress a girl? Does he commit suicide, unable to atone for or reconcile with his many selfish, cruel choices? What role does Hilde play in Solness' death? What role does Aline play in Solness' death?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)