|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What possession does Aunt Julle return to Tesman?
2. Why is Aline worried about his declaration?
3. With what type of person is Solness prone to having relationships?
4. What faux pas does Hedda commit against Mrs. Elvsted.
5. What does Solness plan to hang from the tower of his new home?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Mr. Brack hint will soon keep Hedda busy, fulfilling her life and abating her incurable boredom?
2. How does Lovborg take his leave of Mrs. Elvsted?
3. What imminent threat does Tesman face now that Lovborg has a successful book?
4. Why is Ejlert unable to return Mrs. Elvsted's love sufficiently?
5. Why has Hilde sought Solness out?
6. What is Ragnar's ambition?
7. What does Ragnar ask of Solness, since his father is close to death?
8. What does Solness decide to do in honor of the new house?
9. How does Hedda convince Lovborg to go to the party?
10. Why is Solness afraid of youth?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Solness as a true tragic hero. What is his essential flaw? How is he vulnerable? How is he manipulated by other characters in the play? Can he be blamed for his fate, or is he simply the victim of destiny? Does he bear any similarity to Lovborg in Hedda Gabler? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of personal will in THE MASTER BUILDER. Which characters believe they can will events into existence? How have these wills affected their lives/pasts/presents? In a way, could Solness's death be a punishment from God for trying to control his own destiny?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Pastor Manders of GHOSTS. Though he is the spiritual figurehead of the community, is he in denial of his true nature? Can any conclusions be drawn in his behavior toward Mrs. Alving? Toward Regine? When he finds out that Engstrand lied to him, how does he react? Why does he agree to finance Engstrand's sailor's home? What is his main concern?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)