Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who took care of Nora as a child?
2. What does Oswald feel he has to make up to Regine?
3. What can many of the artists abroad not afford, according to Oswald?
4. What favor does Krogstad ask of Nora?
5. Who does Mrs. Alving credit with her intellectual awakening?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Solness afraid of youth?
2. What does Engstrand want Regine to do at the beginning of the act?
3. What is the only way Torvald could possibly accept Krogstad again?
4. Why doesn't the Pastor want Mrs. Alving to insure the orphanage?
5. What does Solness decide to do in honor of the new house?
6. Describe Solness' relationship with Kaja?
7. How is Nora's transformation symbolized in her costume?
8. How did Solness and Aline's children die?
9. What has Torvald refused to sacrifice for Nora?
10. What are the factors that, combined, mean such despair for Hedda that she must end her life?
Essay Topic 1
In the climax of HEDDA GABLER, she shoots herself in the temple with her father's pistol. What reversals in Act 4 lead her to this final act? What characters directly contribute to her decision? Is Hedda's suicide a final, courageous declaration of freedom, or has she been left no other choice because of her restrictive, stifling life? Is her suicide an admission of defeat? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
In GHOSTS, Oswald and Mrs. Alving cannot escape Captain Alving's sins. Has Mrs. Alving contributed to their problems by not being truthful with Oswald, Pastor Manders, Regine, or the community? Are the characters ultimately able to escape their pasts? How is this theme echoed in some of the other works in the collection?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Solness' death in THE MASTER BUILDER. Is his death the will of God? The foolish accident of a young man trying to impress a girl? Does he commit suicide, unable to atone for or reconcile with his many selfish, cruel choices? What role does Hilde play in Solness' death? What role does Aline play in Solness' death?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)