|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What letter does Torvald ask Helene to mail?
2. Who is Torvald's best friend?
3. What does Oswald feel he has to make up to Regine?
4. What can many of the artists abroad not afford, according to Oswald?
5. When Torvald became ill, where did he and Nora go?
Short Essay Questions
1. What deed does Oswald ask his mother to do for him, should circumstances necessitate?
2. What secret does Nora confess to Mrs. Linde about her and Torvald's trip to Italy?
3. Why does Krogstad agree to withdraw his letter to Torvald?
4. What is ironic about Pastor Manders accidentally burning down the orphanage?
5. How is Nora's dance costume symbolic of her life and marriage?
6. What problems does Pastor Manders have with Oswald's perception of marriage?
7. What is ironic about Engstrand's naming his seaman's home the Captain Alving Home?
8. How does Krogstad attempt to blackmail Nora?
9. What is the only way Torvald could possibly accept Krogstad again?
10. What is Oswald's first inkling that perhaps his father was not as virtuous as he thought?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the use of subtext in HEDDA GABLER. Does this differ from the other plays in the collection? Why or why not? What events or situations in Hedda Gabler are not stated, simply implied? How does this use of subtext contribute to the overall effect of the play from start to finish?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the relationship between Nora and Torvald and Mrs. Linde and Krogstad in A DOLL'S HOUSE. Which couple experiences the miracle that Nora has so hoped for? How does Torvald's behavior contribute to Nora's ultimate decision to leave him?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Solness's fear of youth in THE MASTER BUILDER. Why does he refuse at first to give Ragnar any words of praise? Why is he so intrigued when Hilde abruptly enters his life? How has Solness treated Brovik, his original master? What is ironic about Solness' death?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)