|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose assistance will Oswald need if his illness progresses?
2. What is Torvald unwilling to sacrifice, but Nora claims that thousands of women have to?
3. What does Nora hint at at the end of Act 2?
4. What does Krogstad want from Torvald?
5. Why does Torvald stay away from Nora at parties?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Torvald think Nora is putting in a good word for Krogstad?
2. To whom does Nora feel her duty is owed?
3. How is Nora's transformation symbolized in her costume?
4. What is the difference in opinion between Torvald and Nora about borrowing money?
5. What has Torvald refused to sacrifice for Nora?
6. What is ironic about Engstrand's naming his seaman's home the Captain Alving Home?
7. How does Torvald react to Krogstad's first letter?
8. How is Nora afraid that her lies will affect the household?
9. What was Mrs. Alving's marriage to the Captain really like, despite Pastor Mander's perceptions?
10. What is ironic about Pastor Manders accidentally burning down the orphanage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Mrs. Linde of A DOLL'S HOUSE and Mrs. Elvsted of HEDDA GABLER. How are these characters similar? How are they different?Do they play similar roles in the development of the action of their respective plays? How do they each relate to the main characters of their plays, namely Nora and Hedda? What role do Mrs. Linde and Mrs. Elvsted fulfill thematically?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Solness' death in THE MASTER BUILDER. Is his death the will of God? The foolish accident of a young man trying to impress a girl? Does he commit suicide, unable to atone for or reconcile with his many selfish, cruel choices? What role does Hilde play in Solness' death? What role does Aline play in Solness' death?
Essay Topic 3
Hedda Gabler considers herself a coward. Why does she have that impression? What is she afraid of? What does she truly desire? Why does her obsession with Ejlert Lovborg consume her? She encourages Ejlert Lovborg to go to the party, despite protestations from Mrs. Elvsted and Lovborg himself declining. Why is she trying to control his destiny?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)