|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much did the trip cost?
2. What does Oswald ask for at the end of the play?
3. How does Krogstad plan to tell Torvald of Nora's IOU?
4. What is Nora carrying as she enters Act 1?
5. What is Oswald's illness?
Short Essay Questions
1. How will Dr. Rank notify Nora that he is in the final stage of his illness?
2. What is the difference in opinion between Torvald and Nora about borrowing money?
3. How does Torvald react when Krogstad returns the IOU?
4. How is Nora's transformation symbolized in her costume?
5. What does Nora outwardly hope for at the end of Act 2, and what does she inwardly fear?
6. Why doesn't Dr. Rank want Torvald to visit him in his illness?
7. To whom does Nora feel her duty is owed?
8. What problems does Pastor Manders have with Oswald's perception of marriage?
9. What did Johanna tell Engstrand about her "situation"?
10. Who goaded Mrs. Alving into her free-thinking ways?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In A DOLL'S HOUSE, Ibsen makes ample use of foreshadowing. Cite at least three of these examples and explain the significance to the plot, characters, and play. Be sure to include correctly cited quotations to enhance your points.
Essay Topic 2
Compare Dr. Rank of A DOLL'S HOUSE and Mr. Brack in HEDDA GABLER. How are these characters similar? How are they different? Do they play similar roles in the development of the action of their respective plays? How do they each relate to the main characters of their plays, namely Nora and Hedda? Do these characters echo the intentions and situations of Nora and Hedda? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Solness as a true tragic hero. What is his essential flaw? How is he vulnerable? How is he manipulated by other characters in the play? Can he be blamed for his fate, or is he simply the victim of destiny? Does he bear any similarity to Lovborg in Hedda Gabler? Why or why not?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)