Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who took care of Nora as a child?
2. What does Oswald feel he has to make up to Regine?
3. What can many of the artists abroad not afford, according to Oswald?
4. What favor does Krogstad ask of Nora?
5. Who does Mrs. Alving credit with her intellectual awakening?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Solness afraid of youth?
2. What does Engstrand want Regine to do at the beginning of the act?
3. What is the only way Torvald could possibly accept Krogstad again?
4. Why doesn't the Pastor want Mrs. Alving to insure the orphanage?
5. What does Solness decide to do in honor of the new house?
6. Describe Solness' relationship with Kaja?
7. How is Nora's transformation symbolized in her costume?
8. How did Solness and Aline's children die?
9. What has Torvald refused to sacrifice for Nora?
10. What are the factors that, combined, mean such despair for Hedda that she must end her life?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the relationship between Nora and Torvald and Mrs. Linde and Krogstad in A DOLL'S HOUSE. Which couple experiences the miracle that Nora has so hoped for? How does Torvald's behavior contribute to Nora's ultimate decision to leave him?
Essay Topic 2
In the climax of HEDDA GABLER, she shoots herself in the temple with her father's pistol. What reversals in Act 4 lead her to this final act? What characters directly contribute to her decision? Is Hedda's suicide a final, courageous declaration of freedom, or has she been left no other choice because of her restrictive, stifling life? Is her suicide an admission of defeat? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Hedda Gabler considers herself a coward. Why does she have that impression? What is she afraid of? What does she truly desire? Why does her obsession with Ejlert Lovborg consume her? She encourages Ejlert Lovborg to go to the party, despite protestations from Mrs. Elvsted and Lovborg himself declining. Why is she trying to control his destiny?
This section contains 1,623 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)