|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Oswald go abroad to become?
2. To what does Nora compare her and Torvald's life?
3. Why does Pastor Manders like Engstrand?
4. What is Oswald's illness?
5. What does Kristine propose between she and Krogstad?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Krogstad attempt to blackmail Nora?
2. What has Torvald refused to sacrifice for Nora?
3. Why does Krogstad agree to withdraw his letter to Torvald?
4. Who goaded Mrs. Alving into her free-thinking ways?
5. What does Mrs. Alving hope to gain from opening the orphanage?
6. Why doesn't Dr. Rank want Torvald to visit him in his illness?
7. How does Torvald react when Krogstad returns the IOU?
8. Why did Mrs. Alving keep Captain Alving's life of debauchery a secret?
9. What does Nora outwardly hope for at the end of Act 2, and what does she inwardly fear?
10. What is the only way Torvald could possibly accept Krogstad again?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Solness' death in THE MASTER BUILDER. Is his death the will of God? The foolish accident of a young man trying to impress a girl? Does he commit suicide, unable to atone for or reconcile with his many selfish, cruel choices? What role does Hilde play in Solness' death? What role does Aline play in Solness' death?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the relationship between Nora and Torvald and Mrs. Linde and Krogstad in A DOLL'S HOUSE. Which couple experiences the miracle that Nora has so hoped for? How does Torvald's behavior contribute to Nora's ultimate decision to leave him?
Essay Topic 3
Choose two of the four works in the collection. How does morality shape the events of the play? Are there immoral characters that learn morality, and vice versa? Is Ibsen making a statement about morality, and if so, what does he wish to convey? Is the moral choice usually the socially acceptable choice in the works? Why or why not?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)