|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did the Pastor stay away from Helene and Mr. Alving for so many years?
2. What is Torvald concerned about saving from their relationship?
3. What letter does Torvald ask Helene to mail?
4. What does Torvald call Nora after Mrs. Linde leaves?
5. Who does Mrs. Alving credit with her intellectual awakening?
Short Essay Questions
1. What secret does Nora confess to Mrs. Linde about her and Torvald's trip to Italy?
2. How will Dr. Rank notify Nora that he is in the final stage of his illness?
3. What problems does Pastor Manders have with Oswald's perception of marriage?
4. What was Mrs. Alving's marriage to the Captain really like, despite Pastor Mander's perceptions?
5. Why doesn't the Pastor want Mrs. Alving to insure the orphanage?
6. What does Regine do when she learns how closely related she and Oswald are?
7. What has Torvald refused to sacrifice for Nora?
8. How does Krogstad attempt to blackmail Nora?
9. When is the first instance that Mrs. Alving sees "ghosts"?
10. Why does Mrs. Linde volunteer to approach Krogstad?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose two of the four works in the collection. How does morality shape the events of the play? Are there immoral characters that learn morality, and vice versa? Is Ibsen making a statement about morality, and if so, what does he wish to convey? Is the moral choice usually the socially acceptable choice in the works? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Nora's transformation throughout A DOLL'S HOUSE. Where does she first start to change? What is the final straw in her awakening? How does Torvald bring about his own fate? Has Nora learned anything about morality throughout the play? How does she use her newfound knowledge? Does her learned morality play a part in her decision to leave?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Pastor Manders of GHOSTS. Though he is the spiritual figurehead of the community, is he in denial of his true nature? Can any conclusions be drawn in his behavior toward Mrs. Alving? Toward Regine? When he finds out that Engstrand lied to him, how does he react? Why does he agree to finance Engstrand's sailor's home? What is his main concern?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)