|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Engstrand want the Pastor to do with the remainder of Alving's money?
2. What excuse does Mrs. Alving give for Mr. Alving's behavior?
3. What does Oswald ask for at the end of the play?
4. What is Oswald's illness?
5. What is the name of the orphanage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What deed does Oswald ask his mother to do for him, should circumstances necessitate?
2. What problems does Pastor Manders have with Oswald's perception of marriage?
3. Why does Mrs. Linde volunteer to approach Krogstad?
4. How does Hedda convince Lovborg to go to the party?
5. What is the only way Torvald could possibly accept Krogstad again?
6. Why did Mrs. Alving keep Captain Alving's life of debauchery a secret?
7. Why does Hedda refrain from visiting Aunt Rina?
8. What does Mrs. Alving hope to gain from opening the orphanage?
9. Describe Solness' relationship with Kaja?
10. How did Solness and Aline's children die?
Essay Topic 1
In the climax of HEDDA GABLER, she shoots herself in the temple with her father's pistol. What reversals in Act 4 lead her to this final act? What characters directly contribute to her decision? Is Hedda's suicide a final, courageous declaration of freedom, or has she been left no other choice because of her restrictive, stifling life? Is her suicide an admission of defeat? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the relationship between Nora and Torvald and Mrs. Linde and Krogstad in A DOLL'S HOUSE. Which couple experiences the miracle that Nora has so hoped for? How does Torvald's behavior contribute to Nora's ultimate decision to leave him?
Essay Topic 3
Hedda Gabler considers herself a coward. Why does she have that impression? What is she afraid of? What does she truly desire? Why does her obsession with Ejlert Lovborg consume her? She encourages Ejlert Lovborg to go to the party, despite protestations from Mrs. Elvsted and Lovborg himself declining. Why is she trying to control his destiny?
This section contains 1,633 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)