|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the doctor say to Oswald?
2. Who pursues Krogstad in an attempt to help Nora?
3. What does Nora hint at at the end of Act 2?
4. What kind of man was Mr. Alving?
5. What costumes does Dr. Rank suggest for himself and Nora at the next party?
Short Essay Questions
1. When is the first instance that Mrs. Alving sees "ghosts"?
2. What is Oswald's first inkling that perhaps his father was not as virtuous as he thought?
3. To whom does Nora feel her duty is owed?
4. What did Johanna tell Engstrand about her "situation"?
5. What problems does Pastor Manders have with Oswald's perception of marriage?
6. Why does Krogstad agree to withdraw his letter to Torvald?
7. Who goaded Mrs. Alving into her free-thinking ways?
8. How is Nora afraid that her lies will affect the household?
9. What has Torvald refused to sacrifice for Nora?
10. How is Nora's dance costume symbolic of her life and marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In all the plays in the collection, there is a common theme: the inability to escape one's past. How does this theme play out in each of the four works? Which characters are the most affected by their denials of their pasts? What are the ultimate consequences in each of the works?
Essay Topic 2
Compare Dr. Rank of A DOLL'S HOUSE and Mr. Brack in HEDDA GABLER. How are these characters similar? How are they different? Do they play similar roles in the development of the action of their respective plays? How do they each relate to the main characters of their plays, namely Nora and Hedda? Do these characters echo the intentions and situations of Nora and Hedda? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Solness as a true tragic hero. What is his essential flaw? How is he vulnerable? How is he manipulated by other characters in the play? Can he be blamed for his fate, or is he simply the victim of destiny? Does he bear any similarity to Lovborg in Hedda Gabler? Why or why not?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)