|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has witnessed the Pastor's transgression?
2. When they were younger, what was the relationship between Torvald and Krogstad?
3. Why does Nora leave Torvald?
4. What event is Dr. Rank very frank about with Nora?
5. To what does Nora compare her and Torvald's life?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Torvald react when Krogstad returns the IOU?
2. Why doesn't the Pastor want Mrs. Alving to insure the orphanage?
3. Why does Krogstad agree to withdraw his letter to Torvald?
4. How does Krogstad attempt to blackmail Nora?
5. How does Torvald react to Krogstad's first letter?
6. What is the only way Torvald could possibly accept Krogstad again?
7. What problems does Pastor Manders have with Oswald's perception of marriage?
8. Who goaded Mrs. Alving into her free-thinking ways?
9. How is Nora afraid that her lies will affect the household?
10. What secret does Nora confess to Mrs. Linde about her and Torvald's trip to Italy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the climax and the secondary climax of HEDDA GABLER. In which acts do these events occur? How does the secondary climax lead to the ultimate resolution in the play? What other events lead up to the play's final, climactic moment?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Solness's fear of youth in THE MASTER BUILDER. Why does he refuse at first to give Ragnar any words of praise? Why is he so intrigued when Hilde abruptly enters his life? How has Solness treated Brovik, his original master? What is ironic about Solness' death?
Essay Topic 3
Consider two of the four plays in the collection. How are the main characters similar? How are they different? What are the goals of the character and how do they attempt to achieve them? Are there common themes in both works? Which of the plays was written first? Are there marked differences in the thematic and plot elements used? Be sure to include properly cited quotations to enhance the argument.
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)