|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Kristine end her relationship with Krogstad?
2. Why is the Pastor hesitant about getting the orphanage insured?
3. What card does Torvald receive from Dr. Rank?
4. What does Helmer think is wrong with Nora's tarentella?
5. How did Torvald feel during Nora's project?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Mrs. Alving keep Captain Alving's life of debauchery a secret?
2. What does Regine do when she learns how closely related she and Oswald are?
3. How does Krogstad attempt to blackmail Nora?
4. What does Nora outwardly hope for at the end of Act 2, and what does she inwardly fear?
5. What is Oswald's first inkling that perhaps his father was not as virtuous as he thought?
6. Why does Torvald think Nora is putting in a good word for Krogstad?
7. What is ironic about Pastor Manders accidentally burning down the orphanage?
8. What did Johanna tell Engstrand about her "situation"?
9. Why does Nora decline asking her favor from Dr. Rank?
10. What deed does Oswald ask his mother to do for him, should circumstances necessitate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In GHOSTS, Oswald and Mrs. Alving cannot escape Captain Alving's sins. Has Mrs. Alving contributed to their problems by not being truthful with Oswald, Pastor Manders, Regine, or the community? Are the characters ultimately able to escape their pasts? How is this theme echoed in some of the other works in the collection?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Mrs. Alving's "ghosts." When do they appear? As whom do they appear? What echoes of her past does she see in the present? Is she able to escape any of her past experiences? What is her character's arc throughout the play? Be sure to provide textual examples.
Essay Topic 3
Examine Solness' death in THE MASTER BUILDER. Is his death the will of God? The foolish accident of a young man trying to impress a girl? Does he commit suicide, unable to atone for or reconcile with his many selfish, cruel choices? What role does Hilde play in Solness' death? What role does Aline play in Solness' death?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)