|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Torvald concerned about saving from their relationship?
2. How much did the trip cost?
3. What is Nora's reputation among her friends and family?
4. What event is Dr. Rank very frank about with Nora?
5. What is Engstrand's business idea?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Mrs. Alving keep Captain Alving's life of debauchery a secret?
2. How does Torvald react to Krogstad's first letter?
3. What was Mrs. Alving's marriage to the Captain really like, despite Pastor Mander's perceptions?
4. How does Krogstad attempt to blackmail Nora?
5. What did Johanna tell Engstrand about her "situation"?
6. Why does Torvald think Nora is putting in a good word for Krogstad?
7. What is the difference in opinion between Torvald and Nora about borrowing money?
8. What deed does Oswald ask his mother to do for him, should circumstances necessitate?
9. How is Nora's transformation symbolized in her costume?
10. When is the first instance that Mrs. Alving sees "ghosts"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Solness's fear of youth in THE MASTER BUILDER. Why does he refuse at first to give Ragnar any words of praise? Why is he so intrigued when Hilde abruptly enters his life? How has Solness treated Brovik, his original master? What is ironic about Solness' death?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Mrs. Alving's "ghosts." When do they appear? As whom do they appear? What echoes of her past does she see in the present? Is she able to escape any of her past experiences? What is her character's arc throughout the play? Be sure to provide textual examples.
Essay Topic 3
Describe Nora's transformation throughout A DOLL'S HOUSE. Where does she first start to change? What is the final straw in her awakening? How does Torvald bring about his own fate? Has Nora learned anything about morality throughout the play? How does she use her newfound knowledge? Does her learned morality play a part in her decision to leave?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)