|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Nora plan to wait to tell Torvald about the borrowing?
2. What is the name of the orphanage?
3. What does Torvald call Nora after Mrs. Linde leaves?
4. What does Krogstad want from Torvald?
5. What daily responsibility does Nora have trouble managing, according to Torvald?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Mrs. Alving's marriage to the Captain really like, despite Pastor Mander's perceptions?
2. How is Nora's dance costume symbolic of her life and marriage?
3. What is Oswald's first inkling that perhaps his father was not as virtuous as he thought?
4. What has Torvald refused to sacrifice for Nora?
5. What is ironic about Engstrand's naming his seaman's home the Captain Alving Home?
6. What does Mrs. Alving hope to gain from opening the orphanage?
7. What does Regine do when she learns how closely related she and Oswald are?
8. How will Dr. Rank notify Nora that he is in the final stage of his illness?
9. Why did Mrs. Alving keep Captain Alving's life of debauchery a secret?
10. How is Nora afraid that her lies will affect the household?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Solness' death in THE MASTER BUILDER. Is his death the will of God? The foolish accident of a young man trying to impress a girl? Does he commit suicide, unable to atone for or reconcile with his many selfish, cruel choices? What role does Hilde play in Solness' death? What role does Aline play in Solness' death?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Mrs. Alving's "ghosts." When do they appear? As whom do they appear? What echoes of her past does she see in the present? Is she able to escape any of her past experiences? What is her character's arc throughout the play? Be sure to provide textual examples.
Essay Topic 3
In GHOSTS, Oswald and Mrs. Alving cannot escape Captain Alving's sins. Has Mrs. Alving contributed to their problems by not being truthful with Oswald, Pastor Manders, Regine, or the community? Are the characters ultimately able to escape their pasts? How is this theme echoed in some of the other works in the collection?
This section contains 619 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)