|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Kristine insist Krogstad leave the letter in the box?
2. What did the doctor say to Oswald?
3. What is Torvald unwilling to sacrifice, but Nora claims that thousands of women have to?
4. What is Torvald concerned about saving from their relationship?
5. Why does Nora leave Torvald?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the only way Torvald could possibly accept Krogstad again?
2. Why did Mrs. Alving keep Captain Alving's life of debauchery a secret?
3. Who goaded Mrs. Alving into her free-thinking ways?
4. What does Nora outwardly hope for at the end of Act 2, and what does she inwardly fear?
5. Why does Mrs. Linde volunteer to approach Krogstad?
6. What secret does Nora confess to Mrs. Linde about her and Torvald's trip to Italy?
7. To whom does Nora feel her duty is owed?
8. What is Oswald's first inkling that perhaps his father was not as virtuous as he thought?
9. Why doesn't Dr. Rank want Torvald to visit him in his illness?
10. How does Torvald react when Krogstad returns the IOU?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Pastor Manders of GHOSTS. Though he is the spiritual figurehead of the community, is he in denial of his true nature? Can any conclusions be drawn in his behavior toward Mrs. Alving? Toward Regine? When he finds out that Engstrand lied to him, how does he react? Why does he agree to finance Engstrand's sailor's home? What is his main concern?
Essay Topic 2
In GHOSTS, Oswald and Mrs. Alving cannot escape Captain Alving's sins. Has Mrs. Alving contributed to their problems by not being truthful with Oswald, Pastor Manders, Regine, or the community? Are the characters ultimately able to escape their pasts? How is this theme echoed in some of the other works in the collection?
Essay Topic 3
Consider two of the four plays in the collection. How are the main characters similar? How are they different? What are the goals of the character and how do they attempt to achieve them? Are there common themes in both works? Which of the plays was written first? Are there marked differences in the thematic and plot elements used? Be sure to include properly cited quotations to enhance the argument.
This section contains 718 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)