Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who took care of Nora as a child?
2. What does Oswald feel he has to make up to Regine?
3. What can many of the artists abroad not afford, according to Oswald?
4. What favor does Krogstad ask of Nora?
5. Who does Mrs. Alving credit with her intellectual awakening?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Solness afraid of youth?
2. What does Engstrand want Regine to do at the beginning of the act?
3. What is the only way Torvald could possibly accept Krogstad again?
4. Why doesn't the Pastor want Mrs. Alving to insure the orphanage?
5. What does Solness decide to do in honor of the new house?
6. Describe Solness' relationship with Kaja?
7. How is Nora's transformation symbolized in her costume?
8. How did Solness and Aline's children die?
9. What has Torvald refused to sacrifice for Nora?
10. What are the factors that, combined, mean such despair for Hedda that she must end her life?
Essay Topic 1
Consider two of the four plays in the collection. How are the main characters similar? How are they different? What are the goals of the character and how do they attempt to achieve them? Are there common themes in both works? Which of the plays was written first? Are there marked differences in the thematic and plot elements used? Be sure to include properly cited quotations to enhance the argument.
Essay Topic 2
Examine Mrs. Alving's "ghosts." When do they appear? As whom do they appear? What echoes of her past does she see in the present? Is she able to escape any of her past experiences? What is her character's arc throughout the play? Be sure to provide textual examples.
Essay Topic 3
Compare Mrs. Linde of A DOLL'S HOUSE and Mrs. Elvsted of HEDDA GABLER. How are these characters similar? How are they different?Do they play similar roles in the development of the action of their respective plays? How do they each relate to the main characters of their plays, namely Nora and Hedda? What role do Mrs. Linde and Mrs. Elvsted fulfill thematically?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)