|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Nora's costume for the party?
2. What does Oswald feel he has to make up to Regine?
3. How did Nora actually get the money?
4. What is Nora's reputation among her friends and family?
5. How long does Nora plan to wait to tell Torvald about the borrowing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is ironic about Pastor Manders accidentally burning down the orphanage?
2. What deed does Oswald ask his mother to do for him, should circumstances necessitate?
3. How does Krogstad attempt to blackmail Nora?
4. How is Nora's dance costume symbolic of her life and marriage?
5. How is Nora's transformation symbolized in her costume?
6. What is the difference in opinion between Torvald and Nora about borrowing money?
7. What is Oswald's first inkling that perhaps his father was not as virtuous as he thought?
8. Why doesn't Dr. Rank want Torvald to visit him in his illness?
9. What problems does Pastor Manders have with Oswald's perception of marriage?
10. What did Johanna tell Engstrand about her "situation"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Pastor Manders of GHOSTS. Though he is the spiritual figurehead of the community, is he in denial of his true nature? Can any conclusions be drawn in his behavior toward Mrs. Alving? Toward Regine? When he finds out that Engstrand lied to him, how does he react? Why does he agree to finance Engstrand's sailor's home? What is his main concern?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of personal will in THE MASTER BUILDER. Which characters believe they can will events into existence? How have these wills affected their lives/pasts/presents? In a way, could Solness's death be a punishment from God for trying to control his own destiny?
Essay Topic 3
Consider two of the four plays in the collection. How are the main characters similar? How are they different? What are the goals of the character and how do they attempt to achieve them? Are there common themes in both works? Which of the plays was written first? Are there marked differences in the thematic and plot elements used? Be sure to include properly cited quotations to enhance the argument.
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)