|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What daily responsibility does Nora have trouble managing, according to Torvald?
2. Why did the orphanage burn down?
3. Who is Torvald's best friend?
4. Why has Kristine come to seek work?
5. Why did Engstrand claim Regine as his own child?
Short Essay Questions
1. What deed does Oswald ask his mother to do for him, should circumstances necessitate?
2. How is Nora afraid that her lies will affect the household?
3. Why does Torvald think Nora is putting in a good word for Krogstad?
4. What does Mrs. Alving hope to gain from opening the orphanage?
5. How does Torvald react when Krogstad returns the IOU?
6. Why does Nora decline asking her favor from Dr. Rank?
7. Why does Mrs. Linde volunteer to approach Krogstad?
8. How does Krogstad attempt to blackmail Nora?
9. What secret does Nora confess to Mrs. Linde about her and Torvald's trip to Italy?
10. Why doesn't the Pastor want Mrs. Alving to insure the orphanage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Solness' death in THE MASTER BUILDER. Is his death the will of God? The foolish accident of a young man trying to impress a girl? Does he commit suicide, unable to atone for or reconcile with his many selfish, cruel choices? What role does Hilde play in Solness' death? What role does Aline play in Solness' death?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the climax and the secondary climax of HEDDA GABLER. In which acts do these events occur? How does the secondary climax lead to the ultimate resolution in the play? What other events lead up to the play's final, climactic moment?
Essay Topic 3
Hedda Gabler considers herself a coward. Why does she have that impression? What is she afraid of? What does she truly desire? Why does her obsession with Ejlert Lovborg consume her? She encourages Ejlert Lovborg to go to the party, despite protestations from Mrs. Elvsted and Lovborg himself declining. Why is she trying to control his destiny?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)